Difference between Iron Born and Wildlings

aceluby

A recent thread made me think about this. The Iron Born basically want to be like the wildlings, so why can't they be when the wildling's can? Seems to me that anything the crown does to keep the IB in line could also be used to keep the wildlings in line... My thoughts are because wildlings only affect the North, but the IB have been known to attack the North and the south, therefore the crown cares.

Boats, and that the Ironborn like the whole lord thing, since they subscribe to it, if they really wanted to be like wildlings they could abandon their current lord structure and adopt a follow the strongest method like the wildlings, but they don't, they just want to have both lords and raids.

The Wildings are interesting, honorable, fun, badass, invokes sympathy and understanding to a point.

The Ironborn does none of this but invokes hatred and is really boring

I disagree, I found the Wildlings utterly boring, while the morose and gruesome culture of the Iron Isles was incredibly fascinating.

And how can you say the Wildlings are honourable? Their courting rituals are solely based on rape!

The wildlings are more diverse culturally while the Ironborn have a more uniform culture. The wildlings may raid, but they don't frown upon working the land like the Ironborn do.

The wildlings worship the Old Gods while the Ironborn worship the Drowned God, or in Baelor Blacktyde's case, the Seven. The Ironborn have a feudal structure with lords while the widlings follow the man, and marriages are arranged. Although the Ironborn do have the elected monarchy of the kingsmoot.

The Wildings are interesting, honorable, fun, badass, invokes sympathy and understanding to a point.

The Ironborn does none of this but invokes hatred and is really boring

The Wildlings are far from honorable. And I happen to find the Ironborn to be extremely well fleshed out, and highly entertaining. I love Victarion's chapters, and Theon is arguably (for me its him or Jaime) the best written character. Especially as far as there chapters always being consistently good.

The wildlings really only affect a small part of the northand vale technically, as Tywin refers to the hill tribes there as wildilings, despite the fact that they live south of the wall., Whereas the reach of the iron born is literally as far as they want it to extend. The Ironborn also have a history of pushing into the mainland and seizing additional territory,and setting up shop. For example Harrenhall, was built by the ironborn, and if not for the dragon lords, they could have pushed further.

It's mentioned in A World of Ice and Fire that most of the iron in westeros is actually from the Iron Islands too. So it may be that they must be kept in line to keep that valuable resource available to the mainland.

A recent thread made me think about this. The Iron Born basically want to be like the wildlings, so why can't they be when the wildling's can? Seems to me that anything the crown does to keep the IB in line could also be used to keep the wildlings in line... My thoughts are because wildlings only affect the North, but the IB have been known to attack the North and the south, therefore the crown cares.

Geographically and culturally they are very different. Iron born are islanders and the reaving way of life is not much astray from Westeros feudal system - they have nobles and slaves as well. The wildlings don't have the same social structure, and do not take slaves - they do steal women and resources from neighbouring places, but it's not the same as reaving, as the stolen women well be 100% integrated into their society. So, in essence, IB are very far from "wanting to be like wildlings".

They're both savages, the difference is the Wildlings are very irrelevant living far up in a frozen wasteland no nobody wants, cares about or is in the vicinity of anyone important.

The Ironborn are mostly the same thing, except they like to pretend to be civilized sometimes and there's no wall keeping them from mucking about in civilization.

Archived