Could Ned have legitimized one of Robert's bastards?

LordPathera

In AGOT, Ned is adamant on handing over the throne to Stannis since he'd be the rightful heir despite the protests of the common opinion of the man; Lannister power over the throne and Renly wanting to be King.

Why not legitimize one of Robert's bastards and put them on the throne?

All it takes is for the king to officially legitimize a bastard so that they'll inherit and seeing as that the Hand of the King is in a lot of ways the true power behind the throne, why didn't Ned think about legitimizing one Robert's bastards and putting them on the throne? Or if he can't directly legitimize the bastard in question (Gendry for example), then just forge a letter and say that it's from the King.

Yes, the child in question would face stigma because of their baseborn status, but once the truth comes out about Joffrey then there's two choices for king: A bastard born from the king or a bastard born from twincest.

The reason I put up Gendry as my main example is because he's the oldest son and child that Ned would have most access to in order to advise and groom. Eadric Storm would also be a good choice, but he's being fostered by his uncle so there would be concerns that he's being used as a figurehead for Stannis.

It's also possible that this option would be heavily opposed by the Lannisters for obvious reasons. But I'm just curious as to whether it was a possibility for Ned, because he never even thinks of it.

It's one thing to be honorable and not to go against the norm of society, true. But, this is a case where the King dies without any trueborn heirs except for twincest-born bastards. You'd think this would be a viable exception to the rule when there's literally no one else who can take the throne apart from brothers who'd sooner destroy the realms between them than unite against a common enemy.

I also don't believe that Renly and Stannis would be too opposed since the option is being played out by their brother's best friend and the most honorable man in the Seven Kingdoms. Stannis knows Robert's seed by sight and only wanted to take the crown out of duty rather than personal greed. Renly would be initially ticked, but he could see a chance for influence by bonding with his newly legitimized nephew.

Just a thought.

It wouldn't make sense for Ned to do that. Bastards are usually legitimized upon absolute necessity. Robert had two brothers that could still create children, so legitimizing a bastard almost would seem to publicly embarrass them.

It wouldn't make sense for Ned to do that. Bastards are usually legitimized upon absolute necessity. Robert had two brothers that could still create children, so legitimizing a bastard almost would seem to publicly embarrass them.

Yep, this seems legit, plus the only Bastard that would make sense is Edric, any of the others were from lowborn women and I don't think the great lords of Westeros would want their king to be the son of a whore or a tavern wench. Stannis and Renly were a suitable choice for king and heir, too bad Renly was thought he should be king.

Yep, this seems legit, plus the only Bastard that would make sense is Edric, any of the others were from lowborn women and I don't think the great lords of Westeros would want their king to be the son of a whore or a tavern wench. Stannis and Renly were a suitable choice for king and heir, too bad Renly was thought he should be king.

I agree. Moreover, there was no precedent for it that I know of, so it would not have been readily accepted had he done so. But there is the practical matter of having an adult accede to the throne, not a child who would need a regent. With the kingdom likely to be unsettled by the shocking news about Cersei's children, it would be essential to bring peace and order to the country ASAP. Stannis was Robert's oldest brother, a respected lord, a war leader, and known for justice. The only way a stable kingdom would be likely would be for Stannis to be on the throne. Ned probably never thought of anyone else.

Not only are most of the kids lowborn, they are uneducated. Gendry isn't literate and would have no idea how to run a kingdom. He would simply be used by others (Varys, Littlefinger) without even realizing it.

Edric Storm would make a good option at least he is educated. But he would have been under the care of Stannis, who is not likely to give him up. Also, I'm pretty sure he was still a young teenager, who rarely make good kings.

I agree. Moreover, there was no precedent for it that I know of, so it would not have been readily accepted had he done so. But there is the practical matter of having an adult accede to the throne, not a child who would need a regent. With the kingdom likely to be unsettled by the shocking news about Cersei's children, it would be essential to bring peace and order to the country ASAP. Stannis was Robert's oldest brother, a respected lord, a war leader, and known for justice. The only way a stable kingdom would be likely would be for Stannis to be on the throne. Ned probably never thought of anyone else.

Well, besides the fact that Stannis is a dick that no one actually likes thus convincing almost every to ignore his charges and instead rise for someone else.

Honestly, Edric Storm would be much better then Stannis for uniting the realm. In how, both Renly and Stannis could unite behind Edric if he is Robert's legitimized heir and the Tyrells could marry him off to Margaery thus winning him that support.

Why not legitimize one of Robert's bastards and put them on the throne?

Welcome to the boards.

Bastards were looked upon with suspicion, especially after the Blackfyre Rebellions. The realm wouldn't have rallied behind a legitimized bastard.

...Stannis was Robert's oldest brother...

Not sure if this was just your phrasing, but Stannis is the middle brother. Robert was the oldest, but Stannis was the older of the 2 surviving brothers.

Archived