The Heretic's Guide to Heresy

wolfmaid7

On 12/10/2016 at 9:17 AM, Voice said:

LMAO!

LOTR movies are boring, but the books are not. I agree with @alienarea... LOTR is better if for no other reason than the fact that it is at least a complete story. GRRM does seem to get carried away with hype, and as his hype has grown, this series has not. ASOIAF has the potential to leave LOTR in the dust, I would agree, but as of yet it has not. 

Good point haha least he got it done!

• 2 years later...

I tend to avoid Heresy threads, because, from my ignorant perspective, they sound like a lot of smoke and noise signifying nothing.  That's what I get from the OP's summary here.  "Heresy" signifies everything and nothing.

That said, I think it is a lot of fun to go out on a limb with unpopular theories … to go out on a limb with a prediction that actually has a chance of being proven right or wrong in coming volumes (if they are ever released).

Can any of the participants in these heresy threads venture one or more simple, definable, and FALSIFIABLE heresy-related propositions that have some reasonable chance of being definitely provable as right or wrong in coming books?

Sorry that I lack the patience for reading through a billion heresy posts.  And thanks in advance for any answers.

On 11/29/2019 at 10:46 PM, Platypus Rex said:

I tend to avoid Heresy threads, because, from my ignorant perspective, they sound like a lot of smoke and noise signifying nothing.  That's what I get from the OP's summary here.  "Heresy" signifies everything and nothing.

That said, I think it is a lot of fun to go out on a limb with unpopular theories … to go out on a limb with a prediction that actually has a chance of being proven right or wrong in coming volumes (if they are ever released).

Can any of the participants in these heresy threads venture one or more simple, definable, and FALSIFIABLE heresy-related propositions that have some reasonable chance of being definitely provable as right or wrong in coming books?

Sorry that I lack the patience for reading through a billion heresy posts.  And thanks in advance for any answers.

One of the heresies that has little to do with the outcome of the series and can be easily proven or debunked in the next book(s), if there is one, is that Ashara Dayne faked her own death and is Septa Lemore.

I've got a number of theories that I hope will be confirmed or debunked in the next book, but I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion thread. That's not what this thread is for. So if anyone wants to discuss any of the following, please bring it the current Heresy thread.

1) Ned and Ashara are Jon's parents

2) Ashara is Wylla and still lives at Starfall under that identity

3) Rhaella is Septa Lenore

4) the Lannisters orchestrated Lyanna's abduction in order to undermine Rhaegar using a suit of armor that looked just like his.

5) The Knight of the Laughing Tree was an instance of consensual skin changing with a bit of magic. Howland was the knight and Lyanna skin changed the horse.

6) the wildlings are the Others

7) the blizzard at Winterfell and the surrounding north is the Wall disintegrating

8) Lyanna was found in the ruins of Whitewalls

9) Maegor's Holdfast is the real tower of joy

10) the three Kingsguard, Whent, Hightower, and Dayne, were guarding Elia and the children. Ned and his men fought them during the Sack, keeping them engaged and distracted, while Gregor and Amory raped and killed Elia and the children.

11) Young Griff is Aegon. 

12) the titled chapters beginning with AFFC tell two stories with one hidden amongst the parallels, symbolism, and metaphors.

12 hours ago, alienarea said:

One of the heresies that has little to do with the outcome of the series and can be easily proven or debunked in the next book(s), if there is one, is that Ashara Dayne faked her own death and is Septa Lemore.

Thanks.  I'm familiar with that theory, but did not know it was associated with "Heresy" threads.  My own belief is that Septa Lemore is Mellario of Norvos, the wife of Doran.  Dunno if that theory is more "heretical" than the Ashara theory.

8 hours ago, Melifeather said:

I've got a number of theories that I hope will be confirmed or debunked in the next book, but I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion thread. That's not what this thread is for. So if anyone wants to discuss any of the following, please bring it the current Heresy thread.

1) Ned and Ashara are Jon's parents

2) Ashara is Wylla and still lives at Starfall under that identity

3) Rhaella is Septa Lenore

4) the Lannisters orchestrated Lyanna's abduction in order to undermine Rhaegar using a suit of armor that looked just like his.

5) The Knight of the Laughing Tree was an instance of consensual skin changing with a bit of magic. Howland was the knight and Lyanna skin changed the horse.

6) the wildlings are the Others

7) the blizzard at Winterfell and the surrounding north is the Wall disintegrating

8) Lyanna was found in the ruins of Whitewalls

9) Maegor's Holdfast is the real tower of joy

10) the three Kingsguard, Whent, Hightower, and Dayne, were guarding Elia and the children. Ned and his men fought them during the Sack, keeping them engaged and distracted, while Gregor and Amory raped and killed Elia and the children.

11) Young Griff is Aegon. 

12) the titled chapters beginning with AFFC tell two stories with one hidden amongst the parallels, symbolism, and metaphors.

Thank you for your answers.  You've certainly gone out on a limb.  I don't agree with any of them, though.  I will owe you props if any o the above come true.  I note now 2 different contradictory Ashara theories associated with the Heresy thread.  Does "Heresy" therefore stand for any unpopular theory?

4 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

Thank you for your answers.  You've certainly gone out on a limb.  I don't agree with any of them, though.  I will owe you props if any o the above come true.  I note now 2 different contradictory Ashara theories associated with the Heresy thread.  Does "Heresy" therefore stand for any unpopular theory?

We do like to explore unpopular theories, but Heresy does not have any set theories that it endorses or presents as having come to a consensus, although Black Crow does have a number of his own that he rolls out from time to time. The purpose of Heresy is to provide a platform where we can freely discuss alternate theories or ideas that don’t get a lot of traction anywhere else, and do so with good humor and respect for all participants.

Edited by Melifeather

@Platypus Rex Personally I’d like to explore the idea that Jojen paste is absolute and total bs in any real way other than symbolically. Where in the world do ppl get that idea?

Not to mention that NOWHERE in the series does it say that Grey Wind is actually dead. We just assume that he is. It’s only the show that proves it to be so conclusively. It seems that immediately following the Red Wedding is when the show world and book world completely go off the tracks in relation to one another. 

18 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

Does "Heresy" therefore stand for any unpopular theory?

What's so great about being popular?  The stuff that people have gone over and over again is boring now. I don't have theories, I have questions. I'm interested in the holes on the page; the stuff that is deliberately left out; the ambiguous stuff that has any number of meanings and interpretations.   There are members who I enjoy talking to about these things.  That's why I look in there on occasion because it's interesting to me.  Just like the popular threads are interesting to other people.  So what's the problem?     

11 hours ago, Lady Dyanna said:

@Platypus Rex Personally I’d like to explore the idea that Jojen paste is absolute and total bs in any real way other than symbolically. Where in the world do ppl get that idea?

Jojen Paste was one of my first "unpopular theory" polls.  It was more popular than most I polled, but still unpopular.  At least 2/3rds of voters on this forum were against it.

As we talk about unpopular theories, I have a very old one that I posted somewhere between heresy 10 and heresy 20, and I guess it got debunked, but still think it would have been cool:

It originated from the Others being "a different kind of life" and having ice spiders and getting smashed by dragonglass. My idea was that when the Children of the Forest used the hammer of the waters, the water left some jellyfish on the ground in the land of always winter, and instead of dying the became solid (jellyfish are mostly water), and developed a hate for all warm-blooded life that caused their situation in the first place. And the ice spiders would be squids sharing a similar fate.

But it was too far out even for heresy.

With my username being alienarea, what did you expect?

8 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

Jojen Paste was one of my first "unpopular theory" polls.  It was more popular than most I polled, but still unpopular.  At least 2/3rds of voters on this forum were against it.

Good. Cuz though I can see where it might come from. The possibility is there. There are very few indicators there. But just not a lot. 

It does strike me as odd, however, that after the Varamyr prologue very few ppl seem willing to discuss the possibility that Robb is now present in either Grey Wind or Lady Stoneheart I did read a really good theory on it years ago. I’ll need to look to see if I can find it again. 

9 hours ago, alienarea said:

As we talk about unpopular theories, I have a very old one that I posted somewhere between heresy 10 and heresy 20, and I guess it got debunked, but still think it would have been cool:

It originated from the Others being "a different kind of life" and having ice spiders and getting smashed by dragonglass. My idea was that when the Children of the Forest used the hammer of the waters, the water left some jellyfish on the ground in the land of always winter, and instead of dying the became solid (jellyfish are mostly water), and developed a hate for all warm-blooded life that caused their situation in the first place. And the ice spiders would be squids sharing a similar fate.

But it was too far out even for heresy.

With my username being alienarea, what did you expect?

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

I've had a few of those which I have conveniently or blessedly forgotten.  At least, I think they were hilarious, if only I could remember.   

We could discuss the most far-fetched theories we have in the next Heresy. That might be fun! They must be at least plausible, but I'd love me some tin foil to laugh at during the holiday!

• 3 years later...
5 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

These heresy threads are fun, but why are they all hiding in the ADWD subforum where nobody ever goes, instead of general? We need some interesting ideas over there. At the moment it's all 'Who is the most evil XYZ? 

To be fair, it’s pretty hard to generate new ideas after more than a decade of intense discussion.