Sansa's age and appearance

Lady Howell

Now, thus may very well just be just my modern values interferring, but am I the only one perturbed by how in the books Sansa is often described.

Bigger breasts than a women several years older than her when she herself is about 13-14 at the time?

Beautiful and curvy? Like a grown woman?

I know she's still regarded as a child by quite a few people, but its not because she looks like a child but because they know her actual age.

Now, I'm pretty sure 14-15 year old girls aren't supposed to look like that unless they are absolutely overflowing with female hormones, which is a bad thing at that young an age. I'm that age and I and many girls may own age do not look like that, even those of us with the genetics to have big breasts and curves.

I still look 12 according to most people, and not one girl in my grade (some of whim are a whole year or two my senior) had Boobs larger than a C cup. Or hardly any curves at all unless they're overweight, in which case the curves are not exactly in the right places.

Sansa's description is unrealistic almost for a girl her age.

Again, this may be just be that I'm looking at this with the wrong set of eyes and views. Or I simply just haven't seen enough girls who were bombshells at 15.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or share your opinion on the matter.

Well it's possible...I'm not going into details here but my body looked older than I was since I was 11. My face didn't though! It was just the body. Me and another early girl in my class where like exotic zoo animals until the time every girl started to get breasts. It wasn't always pretty tbh. So of course there are girls who start later with puberty but Sansa obviously doesn't. And there is nothing unrealistic about it. -.-

The thing that I really had to laugh about was her first period. Dear god...that was some bloody mess. I had to actually reread... I first thought she got stabbed or something like that...but No her first period. Hillarious.

I like to think 15 year olds still look like 15 year olds...

But where I'm from a fair number of them definitely look like "jail bait" and could easily be mistaken for someone 18+. Makeup and attire definitely attribute to this perception. However some thin girls do get large breasts at a young age. For example, at the age of 12 my mom (who was very thin) had a D cup chest. When I saw a picture of her at this age I immediately assumed she was at least 16/17 and when she told me she was only 12 I literally did not believe her because of the size of her chest. lol. Keeping in mind that this would have been in the '60s, yes, it is entirely possible for girls in any time period to look well above their age.

I knew girls in school who were pretty curvy at like the age of 12. Or maybe that was just how it seemed from my childish perspective. But my own figure barely changed from the age of 14. I've never been curvy, but I don't see why it wouldn't work the same for some curvy women.

Also it could be that the women she's being compared with are just particularly boyish.

I had a classmate who was barely 16 that had a Double D cup.

So like, yeah. People's bodies are different. Some develop more quickly than others.

I dont remember Sansa being described as curvy though. Nor do i recall her tits being described as big. I never saw anyone in the series describing Sansa as she was a grown woman.

The thing that I really had to laugh about was her first period. Dear god...that was some bloody mess. I had to actually reread... I first thought she got stabbed or something like that...but No her first period. Hillarious.

GRRM is male. Males have a very difficult time writing or even envisioning how menstruation happens. Its either over-exaggerated or downplayed. No exceptions.

In westeros people age at quicker rates? On earth many years ago people used to age quicker because they died quicker, so hDr being 14 may be equivalent to us being 18?

I think back in the day when people died and aged quicker, they didn't really age like, you're twelve but you look 16, but you got worn down faster by your environment. Like wrinkles and grey hair came faster, not puberty, which I'm pretty sure came around the same age range it does now.

I had a classmate who was barely 16 that had a Double D cup.

So like, yeah. People's bodies are different. Some develop more quickly than others.

I dont remember Sansa being described as curvy though. Nor do i recall her tits being described as big. I never saw anyone in the series describing Sansa as she was a grown woman.

GRRM is male. Males have a very difficult time writing or even envisioning how menstruation happens. Its either over-exaggerated or downplayed. No exceptions.

:agree:

well when I was younger (i'm 19 now, which actually makes me feel really older) some girls seemed to shoot ahead in terms of boobs and curves and as a guy, I noticed pretty quick....i don't think its too unrealistic, i kind of imagine sansa as a once in a generation level beauty. i know she's never described as such, but i always feel that she's the successor to cersei in terms of the best looking women in westeros so, just like Jaime and Barristan are better warriors than most guys in real life, Sansa being better looking than most girls in real life makes sense to me.

In westeros people age at quicker rates? On earth many years ago people used to age quicker because they died quicker, so hDr being 14 may be equivalent to us being 18?

Did they really generally die quicker, or is it just that death in infancy or childhood in previous eras skews averages? No doubt people did things we consider adult at much earlier ages than in recent times, but that doesn't mean those who survived infancy or childhood didn't generally live as long as people do in our times.

Goodness me this is an offensive thread, have you paused to think that actually many many women are curvy and womanly at a young age?? Some of us were wearing bras at 9 love!

I'm a grown up so I'll be gentle but frankly dear it is hard enough for young women who grow "large" breasts younger than is socially accepted without threads like this one.

Having big breasts can plague your life, people make all manor of assumptions about you, you are subjected to a great deal of street harassment and judgement and it shapes your self view when people view you as "freakish" and an oddity.

A D cup is so subjective its all in relation to the back size if you measure 28 " around your ribs you can have the exact same breast volume as someone who measures 34" and be 3 cup sizes bigger. breast size is not as simple as C cup B cup D cup love. And yes we don't all grow at the same rate. Pet hate subject of mine as is probably obvious. Jeez get over it. We are all built individually. try to put yourself in the shoes of the girl who starts her period at 11 and needed a bra from 9. and ask yourself how the comments people make would affect you at that age or how you would have dealt with a post such as this if you have been made to feel your body is an offense. Or had men and boys calling you names and harassing you in the street based solely on the fact you grew boobs before it was socially acceptable.

Goodness me this is an offensive thread, have you paused to think that actually many many women are curvy and womanly at a young age?? Some of us were wearing bras at 9 love!

I'm a grown up so I'll be gentle but frankly dear it is hard enough for young women who grow "large" breasts younger than is socially accepted without threads like this one.

Having big breasts can plague your life, people make all manor of assumptions about you, you are subjected to a great deal of street harassment and judgement and it shapes your self view when people view you as "freakish" and an oddity.

A D cup is so subjective its all in relation to the back size if you measure 28 " around your ribs you can have the exact same breast volume as someone who measures 34" and be 3 cup sizes bigger. breast size is not as simple as C cup B cup D cup love. And yes we don't all grow at the same rate. Pet hate subject of mine as is probably obvious. Jeez get over it. We are all built individually. try to put yourself in the shoes of the girl who starts her period at 11 and needed a bra from 9. and ask yourself how the comments people make would affect you at that age or how you would have dealt with a post such as this if you have been made to feel your body is an offense. Or had men and boys calling you names and harassing you in the street based solely on the fact you grew boobs before it was socially acceptable.

Curse these infernal breasts!

Some of us were wearing bras at 9 love!

I had a friend who started her period around that age. It really freaking varies. In the fourth grade, i recall a friend saying something about awkward training bra shopping with her mum.

Its kinda interesting how on the show, Sansa does look older but doesnt look very curvy. (Sophie Turner is super freaking tall) And how Maisie Williams has to ummm...basically pad herself down to appear younger. Both girls are still minors. Maisie in particular should give you an idea how different bodies develop in adolescent years.

She is depicted as someone who should be late teen's, she looks much like a young women not a little girl

This is a completely baseless statement. Different girls develop differently, and the "end result" of different girls is completely different. One girl might develop earlier than most girls her age, and her earlier development may greatly exceed what most girls her age will reach at any point in their life. Another girl may develop later than most girls her age, and exceed what most girls her age will reach at any point in their life. Another may develop earlier than most girls her age and not grow any/much more, while most girls her age will develop beyond what she reached as a teenager. There is no mold for what a young girl looks like or what a young woman looks like. Most may follow a general pattern, but there are tons of exceptions, enough to not label a girl who has developed as much as or more than average as unrealistic.

For heaven's sake

Go sit outside a primary school where the older girls are are most 12/13. Quite a few are curvy and womanly. Go into a class of 14 year olds and there will be a couple who could pass for their mothers, and by 18 about half could be anywhere between 15 and 35.

The point is Sansa is a VERY attractive young girl, and all the guys have the hots for her. obviously Tyrion saw just a very young girl - still a child, which causes him to delay consummation. LF sees the 15 year old girl Cat with whom he was in love when he was himself just 13/14. Sandor is more troubling but it was perhaps her innocence that attracts him (just a leeeeetle paedo).

Archived