Dany: The Darth Vader of ASOIAF?

Fire Eater

This is quite funny, because in a recent interview and blog post, GRRM was stating that he wishes to maybe include in the serie a character whose path will be inspired by Water White's character in Breaking Bad.

Hence it is probable that we might see a character that we/most readers love and support in the serie turning completely batsh** crazy after having been generally disappointed with life and having discovered maybe they're maybe meant to embrace their dark side.

However, I don't think Daenerys is the best candidate to find her inner darkness. It seemed to me that the character who could switch sides and finally embrace the "monster side" everyone wanted to see in him is Tyrion.

Daenerys, at the moment, seems too whitewashed and she didn't seem to me - at the moment - in a state of mind in which she could unleash a repressed anger and crualty (but of course, with the known Targ madness, I am not saying it couldn't happen, but just that it seems to me that she is not quite in that set of mind yet). However, I think Tyrion is seemingly going down a path similar to what you are describing here. He is the one who was guilty of kinslaying and who decided (in thoughts) to become the monster people were expecting to see. In the recent chapters, he seems to be back to his old self, but I am not sure what would happen if Tyrion had to be treated like a sh** again.

Anyway, sorry I diverted, as the topic is about Daenerys. To conclude: highly possible due to Targ madness, but I personally (and thus it's all subjective) think Daenerys lacks the charisma and the cunning to become the villain mastermind of ASOIAF.

This is quite funny, because in a recent interview and blog post, GRRM was stating that he wishes to maybe include in the serie a character whose path will be inspired by Water White's character in Breaking Bad.

Hence it is probable that we might see a character that we/most readers love and support in the serie turning completely batsh** crazy after having been generally disappointed with life and having discovered maybe they're maybe meant to embrace their dark side.

However, I don't think Daenerys is the best candidate to find her inner darkness. It seemed to me that the character who could switch sides and finally embrace the "monster side" everyone wanted to see in him is Tyrion.

Daenerys, at the moment, seems too whitewashed and she didn't seem to me - at the moment - in a state of mind in which she could unleash a repressed anger and crualty (but of course, with the known Targ madness, I am not saying it couldn't happen, but just that it seems to me that she is not quite in that set of mind yet). However, I think Tyrion is seemingly going down a path similar to what you are describing here. He is the one who was guilty of kinslaying and who decided (in thoughts) to become the monster people were expecting to see. In the recent chapters, he seems to be back to his old self, but I am not sure what would happen if Tyrion had to be treated like a sh** again.

Anyway, sorry I diverted, as the topic is about Daenerys. To conclude: highly possible due to Targ madness, but I personally (and thus it's all subjective) think Daenerys lacks the charisma and the cunning to become the villain mastermind of ASOIAF.

Good post. I personaly think that Daenerys will be that "villain". Her not having the charisma and cunning to become the "villain" mastermind is not, IMO, an issue. All she has to do is kill a Stark, or an innocent chld (i'm thinking of Tommen here), cause plenty of destruction in Westeros and boom, there you go.

Good post. I personaly think that Daenerys will be that "villain". Her not having the charisma and cunning to become the "villain" mastermind is not, IMO, an issue. All she has to do is kill a Stark, or an innocent chld (i'm thinking of Tommen here), cause plenty of destruction in Westeros and boom, there you go.

I think it's gonna be Tyrion, in my option. I have the feeling that Dany is gonna be Quaithe's pawn.

Forgive Tyrion, for what? He was a boy in CR at the time of Robert's Rebellion, and had no involvement with his family's actions.

I don't think Barristan is long for this world to advise Dany. The Starks' bannermen are supporting Stannis, and Stannis will be supporting Rickon as Lord of WF.

I guess we disagree mainly on the next course of action of the Starks bannermen. I believe they'll get their Lord back and turn their backs on Stannis. I agree that Barristan won't live long, but my opinion is that his death is supposed to happen in Westeros.

I agree about Tyrion, but if she's going a darker path, I find It highly unlikely she won't hold it against him. And if she doesn't hold against him, then she probably shouldn't with any Stark.

In general, I agree with your idea, but I'm more on the fence with the specifics.

Well, my thoughts are that GRRM has been impressed with Breaking Bad (I keep taking this as an example even though the topic is linked to Star Wars, sorry, but to me BB is more likely to be GRRM's direct inspiration right now - as he has stated himself) and so his "Walter White" (or DV, I personally tend to think they are both brilliant villains with a tiny chance for redemption) will need to do more than "kill a child" or "kill a Stark" (or even "kill a Stark child" :p). If GRRM really includes a villain mastermind in his story, I am expecting someone who is extremely intelligent and powerful but who decides to put their cunning and/or power at the service of their own selfishness and unleash their inner monster.

And although she might be touched by Targ madness

as Daemon Sand said when Arianne asked him if they were sure Dany couldn't be mad: "we don't know, we can only hope" ;)

I don't think Dany has been built up enough to become that character and I definitely don't there there is time to do that in two books while she already has much to do. But it's just an opinion.

However, if we look at the last "prophecy" Moqorro told about Tyrion: "Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of it all.". This makes me think it's Tyrion who is going to go to the "dark side" and that the protagonists of this new dance of dragons are all going to be his puppets.

Archived