Small Questions v 10017

Stubby

I can't remember, does he ever actually follow through with his threats and hit Egg?

He probably has(else the threats wouldn't work so well) but to the best of my recollection we've never actually seen him do it.

Useless fact of the day Sworn Sword has the most clouts with 20 :)

Yes, Willas and Sansa would hold both castles, and paramountcy of The Reach and The North. Presumably they would split them up between their children, if only because the two areas are so far away from each other. Otherwise they run the risk of The North eventually revolting against being ruled from Highgarden (given the choice, I assume Sansa would want to live in Highgarden and not Winterfell.)

I can't remember, does he ever actually follow through with his threats and hit Egg?

yeah he does.

"I'm a squire, not a stableboy", Egg insisted. "Are you blind, or only stupid?" The beardless guard broke into laughter. The beard put the point of his spear to the boy's throat. "Say that again".

Dunk gave Egg a clout in the ear. "No, shut your mouth and tend the horses". He dismounted.

from the sword sword. egg was being sassy and this guy was getting pissed off at him. the clout was pretty much for his own good though. trying to end the confrontation without anyone getting hurt.

also later there's this converstaion

"You clouted me in the ear at the gate".

"That was half a clout at best. If I ever give you a whole clout, you'll know it".

Implying he didn't hit egg really hard, and also that he's never actually hit egg very hard, or possibly that this was the first time he's actually hit him. i'd doubt he's really ever done it except in situations like that when its to stop him from saying things that could get him hurt. I think this is the only time in the books we seem dunk clout egg.

From my understanding, not all Weirwood's are heart trees and a heart tree is not always a Weirwood. A heart tree is the tree that resides in the center of a Godswood and usually, but not always, has a face carved into it.

Pretty sure everything you said is correct, but I will add that heart trees are almost always weirwoods. The only known example of a non-weirwood heart tree is King's Landing, which is relatively recent construction.

Thanks both of you. :)

is Jaime ever described as 'beautiful'? Quote pls?

In addition to Arya kidding's quote, we have this bit from Jon I

Ser Jaime Lannister was twin to Queen Cersei; tall and golden, with flashing green eyes and a smile that cut like a knife. He wore crimson silk, high black boots, a black satin cloak. On the breast of his tunic, the lion of his House was embroidered in gold thread, roaring its defiance. They called him the Lion of Lannister to his face and whispered "Kingslayer" behind his back.

Jon found it hard to look away from him. This is what a king should look like, he thought to himself as the man passed.

if Gared didn't rejoin the night's watch to warn them after the events of the prologue, how did he get south of the wall?

We don't know for sure, I can't see him climbing it without equipment. Maybe he grabbed equipment of a dead wildling who had fallen off? Other ways would be going through the gorge by the Shadow Tower, or using the gate in the Nightfort that only opens for black brothers. It's sort of a stretch that he would have known about the gate.

Probably a dumb question, that has probably been answered. But, let's say the Wardens of the North, West and East all called their banners (or whatever they do) where would Tully swords go?

I don't think it works like that. I think the wardens are like marshalls. They do not appear to be feudal estates. Presumably each of the four is charged with the defense of a particular frontier. The Warden of the North is doubtless responsible for defending against attacks in the North from beyond the Wall or from either coast north of the Neck. If he's a competent soldier and politician he'll know his strengths and weaknesses, disposition of available forces, and whom he can count on under certain circumstances. If he has good relations with another house, say the Royces, he might even call upon their aid. On the other hand, let's say the NW has identified a clear threat gathering at Hardhome or let's say the King decides to conquer the Frozen Shore for strategic reasons. The King might charge his Warden of the North with marshalling the necessary forces to carry out the command. The Warden or the King might call on houses from other regions to follow the command of the Warden in the North. I imagine it gets more complicated south of Moat Cailin. For example, Lord Tyrell is the Warden of the South but if Lysene pirates began raiding the coast of Dorne would the Prince of Dorne want Knights of the Reach or Marcher Lords from the Stormlands in Dorne? And would he place Dornish forces under the control of Lord Tyrell?

The show makes this crystal clear, but is there anything in the books about Varys hating magic and all those who practice it?

I'm doing an audio book re-read and I got really confused when I heard Illyrio babbling about the Lord of Light/R'hollor to Dany and Viserys when they were in Pentos before/during the Khal Drogo marriage set up.

If Varys really hates Stannis because he has a red priestess with him, then one would think he might at least dislike Illyrio as well if he really is a devout worshipper of the Red God. This is driving me nuts.

Why did Tyrion call Jorah "Ser Bezoar" on pg 528 of Dance (Tyrion IX)?

I think he's just showing some love the the fuzzy hairball that is Jorah. :)

Had to google to make sure, but bezoar is something that has gotten stuck in someone's bowels, most often a ball of hair. Don't know if they have bezoars in Westeros or if GRRM just wanted (Tyrion) to drop some fancy words.

The show makes this crystal clear, but is there anything in the books about Varys hating magic and all those who practice it?

I'm doing an audio book re-read and I got really confused when I heard Illyrio babbling about the Lord of Light/R'hollor to Dany and Viserys when they were in Pentos before/during the Khal Drogo marriage set up.

If Varys really hates Stannis because he has a red priestess with him, then one would think he might at least dislike Illyrio as well if he really is a devout worshipper of the Red God. This is driving me nuts.

Yes.

“Yet I still dream of that night, my lord. Not of the sorcerer, nor his blade, nor even the way my manhood shriveled as it burned. I dream of the voice. The voice from the flames. Was it a god, a demon, some conjurer’s trick? I could not tell you, and I know all the tricks. All I can say for a certainty is that he called it, and it answered, and since that day I have hated magic and all those who practice it. If Lord Stannis is one such, I mean to see him dead.”

I'm not sure Illyrio actually believes in R'hllor. Also Varys is more concerned by the mysterious deaths of Renly and Penrose than just Melisandre's presence.

Finally the eunuch cleared his throat. “My lord, do you believe in the old powers?”

“Magic, you mean?” Tyrion said impatiently. “Bloodspells, curses, shapeshifting, those sorts of things?” He snorted. “Do you mean to suggest that Ser Cortnay was magicked to his death?”

“Ser Cortnay had challenged Lord Stannis to single combat on the morning he died. I ask you, is this the act of a man lost to despair? Then there is the matter of Lord Renly’s mysterious and most fortuitous murder, even as his battle lines were forming up to sweep his brother from the field.”

Archived