Small Questions v 10017

Stubby

A humble curtsey to RumHam. Lately I've been fretting an awful lot about things I saw in the show that might not actually be canon and Illyrio's references to R'hollor just struck me as odd.

Wiki says Pentos has a huge-ass R'hollor temple, so it might be that Illyrio isn't all that devout, just goes with the flow since it could be a dominate religion thereabouts.

Still, if it turned out Illyrio turned out to be keen on the Red God and the powers that come with it, that might annoy Varys a lot. I could crack me a few pots on this one... :D

IIRC didn't Cercei send a Kettleblack to the Nights Watch to kill Jon? Whatever happened to him?

She was going to send Ser Osney to the Wall after he admitted to bedding Margaery. The High Septon was suspicious of Ser Osney's eagerness in confessing and called bullshit. After some torture, Ser Osney admitted to bedding Cersei instead, and the Sparrow arrested her. Cersei's last chapter from Feast shows all this going down, but I don't have a quote handy.

IIRC didn't Cercei send a Kettleblack to the Nights Watch to kill Jon? Whatever happened to him?

Well the plan was to have him sent to The Wall after confessing to the High Septon. The Septon never let him go, and imprisoned Cersei shortly after. I'd say that plan is on hold for now.

Yes she wanted, the plan was for him to confess to the High Septon about adultery with Marge and then the to go to the wall as a punisment woth other lannister men who would assassinate jon, but the high septon destroyed the whole plan...

Ninja'd :ninja:

She was going to send Ser Osney to the Wall after he admitted to bedding Margaery. The High Septon was suspicious of Ser Osney's eagerness in confessing and called bullshit. After some torture, Ser Osney admitted to bedding Cersei instead, and the Sparrow arrested her. Cersei's last chapter from Feast shows all this going down, but I don't have a quote handy.

Thanks I forgot it was Osney.

A humble curtsey to RumHam. Lately I've been fretting an awful lot about things I saw in the show that might not actually be canon and Illyrio's references to R'hollor just struck me as odd.

Wiki says Pentos has a huge-ass R'hollor temple, so it might be that Illyrio isn't all that devout, just goes with the flow since it could be a dominate religion thereabouts.

Still, if it turned out Illyrio turned out to be keen on the Red God and the powers that come with it, that might annoy Varys a lot. I could crack me a few pots on this one... :D

Illyrio was all aboit the Lord of Light in Game but not so much in Dance. Was Martin just cluing in the reader since those early Dany chapters were our only intro to R'hllor until Clash?

Illyrio was all aboit the Lord of Light in Game but not so much in Dance. Was Martin just cluing in the reader since those early Dany chapters were our only intro to R'hllor until Clash?

It's possible. It's also possible that "Lord of Light" was just a bit of world building until he later came up with Melisandre and her relationship with Stannis. Illyrio actually only mentions R'hllor twice.

Gemstones glittered on every finger, and his man had oiled his forked yellow beard until it shone like real gold. “May the Lord of Light shower you with blessings on this most fortunate day, Princess Daenerys,” the magister said as he took her hand.

“The Lord of Light would hold our city walls against a million Dothraki, or so the red priests promise... yet why take chances, when their friendship comes so cheap?”

Neither quote suggests he's especially devout to me. The only other references to R'hllor I could find are Thoros and:

Dany could hear the singing of the red priests as they lit their night fires and the shouts of ragged children playing games beyond the walls of the estate.

In aGoT, right after the Whispering Wood, Theon tells Cat:

We've taken close to a hundred knights captive, and a dozen lords bannermen. Lord Westerling, Lord Banefort, Ser Garth Greenfield, Lord Estren, Ser Tytos Brax, Mallor the Dornishman ...

Mallor is not once mentionned again from aGoT to the end of aSoS. I don't have the last two books in e format, is he mentionned again?
A man with such a nickname, fighting for the Lannisters and important enough that Theon would mention him among other important western lords and knights, makes me very curious.

It's possible. It's also possible that "Lord of Light" was just a bit of world building until he later came up with Melisandre and her relationship with Stannis. Illyrio actually only mentions R'hllor twice.

Neither quote suggests he's especially devout to me. The only other references to R'hllor I could find are Thoros and:

Who inviyed the fat Red Priest (Moqorro?) to feast at Drogo's manse where Drogo was introduced to Dany, and why?

In aGoT, right after the Whispering Wood, Theon tells Cat:

Mallor is not once mentionned again from aGoT to the end of aSoS. I don't have the last two books in e format, is he mentionned again?

A man with such a nickname, fighting for the Lannisters and important enough that Theon would mention him among other important western lords and knights, makes me very curious.

"Mallor" does not appear in the last two books.

Are there any fights described in any of the materials that pits two Valryian steel sword-wielders against each other. The only one I can think of is Daemon (with Blackfyre) against Ser Gwyane Corbray (with Lady Forlorn) on the Red Grass Field, but are there any others?

Not that I know of. We know that at the Redgrass Fields Bittersteel both dueled Bloodraven, and reclaimed Blackfyre after Daemon was killed. We do not know the order of events.

Not that I know of. We know that at the Redgrass Fields Bittersteel both dueled Bloodraven, and reclaimed Blackfyre after Daemon was killed. We do not know the order of events.

Thank you, RumHam. I personally think Aegor was wielding Blackfyre when he met Bloodraven, and hopefully we get that confirmed one day!

There are SPOILERS from WINDS ahead so avert your eyes if you are still a maid.

This is probably not a very small question but here goes... From The Watcher in Dance:

"I still say it should be me who goes to King's Landing, not Lady Nym," Arianne said.

"It is too dangerous. You are my heir, the future of Dorne. Your place is by my side. Soon enough, you'll have another task." (What is the other task Doran has in mind at this point? We find out in Winds that he is going to send Arianne to, um, er, meet Aegon. But the rest of this exchange suggested he did not know of Aegon yet.)

"That last part, about the message. Have you had tidings?" (To what message was Arianne referring? And who was the messenger? From the rest of the conversation it seems like that someone has told Doran that Dany is on her way. But is it possible that Varys is the messenger--and the message could have been included with the information about Balon Swan's mission--and wouldn't it be just like Varys to say that a dragon was coming, especially given Arianne's next question?)

Prince Doran shared his secret smile with her. "From Lys. A great fleet has put in there to take on water. Volantene ships chiefly, carrying an army. No word as to who they are, or where they might be bound. There was talk of elephants."

"No dragons?"

"Elephants. Easy enough to hide a young dragon in a big cog's hold, though. Daenerys is most vulnerable at sea. If I were her, I would keep myself and my intentions hidden as long as I could, so I might take King's Landing unawares."

"Do you think that Quentyn will be with them?"

"He could be. Or not. We will know by where they land if Westeros is indeed their destination. Quentyn will bring her up the Greenblood if he can. But it does no good to speak of it. Kiss me. We leave for the Water Gardens at first light."

So House Seaworth was granted choice lands on Cape Wrath, including a small keep and a forest to hunt in. Davos's eife and teo youngest sons remain there while Davos is off serving Stannis. And House Connington lost all its lands on Cape Wrath save for Griffin's Roost. The Griffin reborn having just seized his old castle with an army behind him. Anybody else see some potential for something really nasty to happen between these two houses?

Archived