Small Questions v 10017

Stubby

Theres a bit in adwd where Jons says to mel that her fingers will freeze in the cold. She replies by showing how warm she is. Where is this, quote?

Sorry it took so long

When he turned he saw Ygritte.

She stood beneath the scorched stones of the Lord Commander’s Tower, cloaked in darkness

and in memory. The light of the moon was in her hair, her red hair kissed by fire. When he saw that,

Jon’s heart leapt into his mouth. “Ygritte,” he said.

“Lord Snow.” The voice was Melisandre’s.

Surprise made him recoil from her. “Lady Melisandre.” He took a step backwards. “I mistook you

for someone else.” At night all robes are grey. Yet suddenly hers were red. He did not understand how

he could have taken her for Ygritte. She was taller, thinner, older, though the moonlight washed years

from her face. Mist rose from her nostrils, and from pale hands naked to the night. “You will freeze your

fingers off,” Jon warned.

“If that is the will of R’hllor. Night’s powers cannot touch one whose heart is bathed in god’s

holy fire.”

do we know what colour quaithe's eyes are (given Dany can see them through the mask)

This is the best I could find:

Dany had not noticed Quaithe in the crowd, yet there she stood, eyes wet and shiny behind the

implacable red lacquer mask. “What mean you, my lady?”

Is Maynard Plumm = Blood Raven in the Mystery knight?

It is heavily implied and most of us(I Think) believe it is him. There are just far too many hints for it not to be.

But how did he hide his birthmark? Other hedge knights would have noticed that he's wearing a heavy makeup to cover the stain on his face

The Moonstone brooch at his throat, he's using a glamor when Dunk is cut by the well he notices that Plumm's features seem to shimmer like he can't get his eyes to focus on him.

"Well done, ser."

Dunk whirled. Through the rain, all he could make out was a hooded shape and a single pale white eye. It was only when the man came forward that the shadowed face beneath the cowl took on the familiar features of Ser Maynard Plumm, the pale eye no more than the moonstone brooch that pinned his cloak at the shoulder.

"Save him now to execute him later? I think not. Let him eat the meal that he meant to serve to you. Come, lean on me." Plumm guided him across the yard. This close, there was something queer about the cast of Ser Maynard's features. The longer Dunk looked, the less he seemed to see. "I did urge you to flee, you will recall, but you esteemed your honor more than your life. An honorable death is well and good, but if the life at stake is not your own, what then? Would your answer be the same, ser?"

BR is using dark magic? I thought he followed the Old Gods.

I'm not sure what makes it ''dark'' magic. It sure seems a lot more benign then invading the minds of other humans.

What year were Prince Daeron the Drunken and Prince Aerion Brightflame (Maekar's first two sons) born? The wiki says 192 AL for Aerion, but I can't find any source.

I'm not positive, but I imagine that if their birthdates are stated anywhere (and they might not be, Maekar's for example came about due to guesswork), it would be the Hedge Knight.

-

Does anyone know if Littlefinger constructed any brothels, as opposed to just purchasing them? I'm just trying to figure out if Littlefinger went into that business as a way to conduct his own schemes free of little birds in the walls.

What year were Prince Daeron the Drunken and Prince Aerion Brightflame (Maekar's first two sons) born? The wiki says 192 AL for Aerion, but I can't find any source.

Pretty sure there's nothing in The Hedge Knight that could narrow it down to the exact year. Either it comes from one of the role playing games, or is just someone's best guess.

Does anyone have a link to the Jaqen=Pate theory? Or just an explanation?

I can't seem to find where/how the theory came about.

The descriptions of Jaqen's face when he gives Arya the coin and The Alchemist are very similar:

Jaqen passed a hand down his face from forehead to chin, and where it went he changed. His cheeks grew fuller, his eyes closer; his nose hooked, a scar appeared on his right cheek where no scar had been before. And when he shook his head, his long straight hair, half red and half white, dissolved away to reveal a cap of tight black curls.

The alchemist pulled his hood down.
He was just a man, and his face was just a face. A young man’s face, ordinary, with full cheeks and the shadow of a beard. A scar showed faintly on his right cheek. He had a hooked nose, and a mat of dense black hair that curled tightly around his ears. It was not a face Pate recognized.

Then The Alchemist kills Pate, Sam later meets Pate, who must now be The Alchemist in disguise.

The descriptions of Jaqen's face when he gives Arya the coin and The Alchemist are very similar:

Then The Alchemist kills Pate, Sam later meets Pate, who must now be The Alchemist in disguise.

Excellent. Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me! :)

Does anyone have a link to the Jaqen=Pate theory? Or just an explanation?

I can't seem to find where/how the theory came about.

I don't have a link for you, but I think I can explain. The appearance Jaqen takes when leaving Harrenhal is nearly identical to that of the man Pate meets. Seeing as how Jaqen is known to us for being a faceless man, and the man who kills Pate later takes Pate's face, points into the direction that a faceless man killed Pate. Since they look the same, there is a big chance they are the same person, this mystery man and Jaqen. How many faceless men can there be in Westeros?

Edit: As I was typing this, RumHam got there first :p

Jaqen changing his face:

Jaqen passed a hand down his face from forehead to chin, and where it went he changed. His cheeks grew fuller, his eyes closer; his nose hooked, a scar appeared on his right cheek where no scar had been before. And when he shook his head, his long straight hair, half red and half white, dissolved away to reveal a cap of tight black curls.

And the man Pate meets:

He was just a man, and his face was just a face. A young man’s face, ordinary, with full cheeks and the shadow of a beard. A scar showed faintly on his right cheek. He had a hooked nose, and a mat of dense black hair that curled tightly around his ears. It was not a face Pate recognized

I don't have a link for you, but I think I can explain. The appearance Jaqen takes when leaving Harrenhal is nearly identical to that of the man Pate meets. Seeing as how Jaqen is known to us for being a faceless man, and the man who kills Pate later takes Pate's face, points into the direction that a faceless man killed Pate. Since they look the same, there is a big chance they are the same person, this mystery man and Jaqen. How many faceless men can there be in Westeros?

Edit: As I was typing this, RumHam got there first :P

Jaqen changing his face:

And the man Pate meets:

Would that make the face Jaqen wears as the Alchemist his own face, given that we know the process of putting on a new face?

A couple things from the last thread.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

MeeraIsMyLady, on 14 Oct 2013 - 3:42 PM, said:snapback.png

About how POV characters of prologue and epilogue chapters always die at the end of the chapter. Is this a pattern that readers just assume will continue, or was it confirmed that it would continue?

It has been acknowledged by Martin, I would expect it to continue but nothing is written in stone.

My prologue and epilogue characters always die but even then I try to give them a story.

Sorry to repeat a question here, but my original is getting buried in another thread, I fear:

What citations, from the book, do we have that Aegon (the real baby) was about a year old when he was killed by Gregor?

I've found nothing in the books, nor on SSM or the Concordance, that describes him as anything other than an infant, a babe in arms, or a screaming whelp. We only see him as a newborn in Dany's vision. So where does this info come from, that he was about a year old? Unless I missed a word or two somewhere?

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Kings_Landing_10_Questions

At the time of the Sack, Aegon Targaryen was, "Still a babe at the breast. A year old, give or take a turn or two."

Archived