Small Questions v 10017

Stubby

How old was Rhaenys when she was killed? Is it mentioned in the books? I thought she was 4, but I don't remember it being said anywhere.

Pretty sure this is the only time anyone uses actual numbers, instead of just calling her a little girl.

I asked him afterward why it had required half a hundred thrusts to kill a girl of... two? Three? He said she’d kicked him and would not stop screaming. If Lorch had half

the wits the gods gave a turnip, he would have calmed her with a few sweet words and used a soft silk pillow.”

How old was Rhaenys when she was killed? Is it mentioned in the books? I thought she was 4, but I don't remember it being said anywhere.

No specific age is given for Rhaenys. But clues imply that she was 3-4: she was old enough to name the cat, Balerion, and if Elia got pregnant shortly after getting married.

Are we sure it rains on the wall? Doesn't it always snows there? Sorry I'm not sure if I'm making sense or not.

No reference has ever been made to it raining at the Wall. Only snowing, or the weeping of the Wall when the sun is on it.

Is the king's steward who welcomes Ned when he arrives in the Red Keep (aGoT Eddard IV) ever named further in the books ?

No.

Not really mentioned, I say 4-6.

we see the ice cells being snowed under, and they have to be dug out. So do they flood if it rains heavily? Is there anything in the text to suggest this?

When water gets down there it freezes...

Pretty sure this is the only time anyone uses actual numbers, instead of just calling her a little girl.

Yes, but seeing that harrenhal was 3 years before her death and elia had aegon in the meantime she is older than 3, that is why I say 4-6

Not really mentioned, I say 4-6.

When water gets down there it freezes...

Yes, but seeing that harrenhal was 3 years before her death and elia had aegon in the meantime she is older than 3, that is why I say 4-6

Harrenhall wasn't three years before her death. It was only a year and a half or two at the most.

Elia and Rhaegar married in 278. Harrenhall is 281. If Elia got pregnant right then, then Rhaenys would have likely been born 279 according to when their marriage date is. It is also possible that she could have been born 280 at the beginning. (Let's not forget that the elder Baratheons also died the same year as Elia and Rhaegar's marriage after not finding Rhaegar a bride in the free cities. So the royal family also probably spent a while mourning before deciding to proceed with marriage plans. Then Rhaegar and Elia's marriage was announced and who knows how long they waited to get married so that probably gives even more evidence that Rhaenys was likely born in 279.)

Connington said Elia was on bedrest for a year after Rhaenys was born. Yet she was well enough to attend Harrenhall where Howland Reed himself thinks she was pretty.

They all died in 283 so she could easily be 3 or 4.

Aegon IV gave a dragon's egg to Lord Ambrose's grandfather after staying a night at the old family castle. Lord Butterwell had three young daughters and by the next day all three had royal bastards on the way according to the stories

This is the rumor. Don't know if it is true. Especially since they aren't considered Great Bastards but maybe that just means the children all died young.

Harrenhall wasn't three years before her death. It was only a year and a half or two at the most.

Elia and Rhaegar married in 278. Harrenhall is 281. If Elia got pregnant right then, then Rhaenys would have likely been born 279 according to when their marriage date is. It is also possible that she could have been born 280 at the beginning. (Let's not forget that the elder Baratheons also died the same year as Elia and Rhaegar's marriage after not finding Rhaegar a bride in the free cities. So the royal family also probably spent a while mourning before deciding to proceed with marriage plans. Then Rhaegar and Elia's marriage was announced and who knows how long they waited to get married so that probably gives even more evidence that Rhaenys was likely born in 279.)

Connington said Elia was on bedrest for a year after Rhaenys was born. Yet she was well enough to attend Harrenhall where Howland Reed himself thinks she was pretty.

Elia was on bed rest for half a year after giving birth to Rhaenys, not a year. The rest I agree with, she was probably three or four years old, since she was old enough to name her own cat.

Elia was on bed rest for half a year after giving birth to Rhaenys, not a year. The rest I agree with, she was probably three or four years old, since she was old enough to name her own cat.

You are right 6 is far-fetched, but 4 is the real deal

Not that i can recall, but we can assume the outer layer is more prone to fracture due to the constant thawing and freezing cycles of when the wall weeps and when it doesn't (also common weathering damage). This is also supported from the chapter where Jon is climbing the wall and witnesses a portion break off resulting in a few Wildlings falling to there deaths (also seen on the TV series).

One other idea. The wall is said to be 700 feet tall. I don't believe the top portion would ever experience the weeping effects seeing as it just would't get warm enough 700 feet up. There would be constant coldness brought on from high winds so even with the sun beating on it I doubt the top would weep. So the resulting effect would be a concave shape to the wall (picture an I-Beam shape where the top and bottom are wider than the center) after centuries which would eventually fracture in the center somewhere. RIght?

are there any instances of the 'density' of the Wall being mentioned - specifically that its soft on the outside and hard in the centre?

(density isnt the word i'm looking for but you understand)

Not that i can recall, but we can assume the outer layer is more prone to fracture due to the constant thawing and freezing cycles of when the wall weeps and when it doesn't (also common weathering damage). This is also supported from the chapter where Jon is climbing the wall and witnesses a portion break off resulting in a few Wildlings falling to there deaths (also seen on the TV series).

One other idea. The wall is said to be 700 feet tall. I don't believe the top portion would ever experience the weeping effects seeing as it just would't get warm enough 700 feet up. There would be constant coldness brought on from high winds so even with the sun beating on it I doubt the top would weep. So the resulting effect would be a concave shape to the wall (picture an I-Beam shape where the top and bottom are wider than the center) after centuries which would eventually fracture in the center somewhere. RIght?

As it did not yet, I don't think it would, the only way the wall brakes is trough the horn, or if the watch dies.

Trust me a two yearold colud name her cat.

Archived