Small Questions v 10017

Stubby

A herald’s voice rang out. “All hail His Grace, Joffrey of the Houses Baratheon and Lannister, the First of his Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, and Lord of the Seven Kingdoms. All hail his lady mother, Cersei of House Lannister, Queen Regent, Light of the West, and Protector of the Realm.” AGoT p. 619

This is the scene when Sansa pleads and Barristan gets removed.

But then later, Ned calls Joffrey the PotR.... hmmm.

Maybe Tywin couldn't be the Warden of the West and the PotR at the same time?

Maybe, but I think Protector of the Realm is like, the guy who commands the Wardens. So I would think he would take the higher ranking position and make Kevan or Jamie Warden of the West or something.

A herald’s voice rang out. “All hail His Grace, Joffrey of the Houses Baratheon and Lannister, the First of his Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, and Lord of the Seven Kingdoms. All hail his lady mother, Cersei of House Lannister, Queen Regent, Light of the West, and Protector of the Realm.” AGoT p. 619

This is the scene when Sansa pleads and Barristan gets removed.

But then later, Ned calls Joffrey the PotR.... hmmm.

Maybe Tywin couldn't be the Warden of the West and the PotR at the same time?

This is all very confusing. Before that scene:

The royal steward led them in. “All hail His Grace, Joffrey of the Houses Baratheon and Lannister, the First of his Name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm,” he sang out.

So Robert names Ned PoTR [being Warden of the North didn't exclude him] and later Ned and the royal steward call Joffery PoTR. The herald [in your quote] refers to Cersei as PoTR and the appendix in AGoT lists no one as protector.

ACoK to AFfC appendix lists Cersei as PoTR and ADwD appendix lists Kevan.

So Robert names Ned PoTR [being Warden of the North didn't exclude him] and later Ned and the royal steward call Joffery PoTR. The herald [in your quote] refers to Cersei as PoTR and the appendix in AGoT lists no one as protector.

ACoK to AFfC appendix lists Cersei as PoTR and ADwD appendix lists Kevan.

Altough he is not named Protector in AGoT's appendix, I think Bob clearly was for as long as he was alive. When Ned beheads the deserter, he says:

In the name of Robert of the House Baratheon, the First of his Name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm

Same when he strips Gregor of titles and lands.

Seeing as how everyone calls him "Lord Protector" and congratulates him on being named Protector of the Realm upon King Bob's death, I do believe Protector of the Realm is just the official title of the Lord Regent.

This explains why he would have been Protector, and why Cersei happens to be when after his fall (since she is pretty much the Regent from that point on). The way I see it, the Protector of the Realm is the King whenever applicable, and is a distinct person only when not. For instance, when the King is too young to rule.

Joffrey being heralded as Protector might be because at that time, nobody knew exactly who would be Regent until he came of age (as Ned had not yet revealed the letter). As soon as it was established that Cersei would be, she obtained the title.

This still does not explain why Baelor was Protector of the Realm though... How old was Dareon the Good during the Hedge Knight? Maybe he was too old to rule, or he actually chose to give all executive powers to his son considering he was such a brilliant ruler and all.

Altough he is not named Protector in AGoT's appendix, I think Bob clearly was for as long as he was alive. When Ned beheads the deserter, he says:

Same when he strips Gregor of titles and lands.

Seeing as how everyone calls him "Lord Protector" and congratulates him on being named Protector of the Realm upon King Bob's death, I do believe Protector of the Realm is just the official title of the Lord Regent.

This explains why he would have been Protector, and why Cersei happens to be when after his fall (since she is pretty much the Regent from that point on). The way I see it, the Protector of the Realm is the King whenever applicable, and is a distinct person only when not. For instance, when the King is too young to rule.

Joffrey being heralded as Protector might be because at that time, nobody knew exactly who would be Regent until he came of age (as Ned had not yet revealed the letter). As soon as it was established that Cersei would be, she obtained the title.

This still does not explain why Baelor was Protector of the Realm though... How old was Dareon the Good during the Hedge Knight? Maybe he was too old to rule, or he actually chose to give all executive powers to his son considering he was such a brilliant ruler and all.

I dunno about Daeron the Good's age, but I do remember that he didn't take up arms during the Blackfyre Rebellion. He left it to Baelor and Maekar for whatever reason.

Where's Jaime's severed hand? Is it ever mentioned after Qyburn attends him?

I was thinking about Qyburn and his black magic today. Could he have it, and if so, is it crazy to think he could use it for a glamour (ala "bag of finger bones").

Is it at all possible that the bastard that Ned has, as talked about from Arya's POV by Illyrio and Varys, is actually Jon and not Gendry?

No. They're discussing how much Ned knows about the Lannisters and how Varys won't be able to forestall war between the two houses much longer. Jon really doesn't fit into that context but Gendry does.

Is it at all possible that the bastard that Ned has, as talked about from Arya's POV by Illyrio and Varys, is actually Jon and not Gendry?

He has the bastard, he has the book, and soon enough he’ll have the truth.

The bastard is referring to Gendry, the book refers to the tome regarding the lineages of the great houses and the truth refers to Ned discovering that Joffery, Myrcella and Tommen are illegitimate.

Archived