Small Questions v 10017

Stubby

Do faceless men have to bring a giant face chest with them or something?

No, they seem to be able to take the face of someone they've killed. Like The Alchemist does with Pate.

I don't think so, Jaqen changed his face right there on the spot in front of Arya. Maybe only the really skilled faceless men can do that though. :dunno:

That was probably him changing from his assumed face of Jaqen, to his true face. While faceless men do employ glamors, we have seen in Arya's chapters that taking the face of a dead man is more involved.

No, they seem to be able to take the face of someone they've killed. Like The Alchemist does with Pate.

That was probably him changing from his assumed face of Jaqen, to his true face. While faceless men do employ glamors, we have seen in Arya's chapters that taking the face of a dead man is more involved.

Oh true, I didn't think about that.

I don't think so, Jaqen changed his face right there on the spot in front of Arya. Maybe only the really skilled faceless men can do that though. :dunno:

Maybe that's what Izzyhibrhimo (or whatever his name is) is going to teach her?

Has there been any discussion about the weirwood door that SPEAKS to Bran and co. as they are exiting the Wall from under the Nightfort? I mean, that's a pretty big deal considering the recent chatter about religion in Westeros. We know that the greenseers can inhabit the trees, yet what is the deal with the talking door?

There is the assumption that there are no gods, only magic. We know from the Singers (CotF) and the 3EC that upon death, it is possible to inhabit these trees, like skinchangers can inhabit an animal and reside in them. Does the Nightfort door work by that principal? A greenseer has possesed the door and has the ability to speak and react? Perhaps it's just some spell that gives the door some semblance of life? I haven't noticed if this has been brought up, but would seem relevant in the discussions on the religion threads.

My money's on a spell. We are led to believe that Storms' End and the Cave of the Singers beyond the Wall are warded in a manner simmilar to the Wall. Why shouldn't we expect to find some spell, which allows the good guys to pass like the back door to Khazad-dum or the secret door to Erebor.

Any SSM's about Braavos?

According to the Citadel's advanced search there are twelve. The two most interesting:

Q: Could you give us any information concerning the moonsingers that were key to the founding of Braavos?

A: As you know, they were slaves who fled from Valyria and they found a place as far away from Valyria that they could get. What basically happened was that a Valyrian fleet, which was rowed by slaves, was taken over by the slaves after they mutined. And they decided to get as far away to the north as they could, sailing through the narrow sea to find a refuge. The founded Braavos and kept the city secret for about a hundred years. For those first hundred years, practically no one knew of the city's existence. Because the city is founded by slaves, it's not a homogenous population, there were slaves from all sorts of different places with different ethnicities, different homelands, different customs, different religions. So they create a new religion, one with one god that can be applied to all the other fatihs and is tolerant of all the other faiths. Braavos has people of all kinds, all ethnicities and colors, so there's no standard appearance for a Braavosi because it's a conglomerate of differnet people. In the case of the Lyseni, they do have distinct ethnic features because it was a Valyrian colony: it was only and entirely Valyrian, so the Lyseni have common features with the Valyrians. It's another religion, the moonsingers, and they basically continue to follow this religion that I discussed, that's very tolerant and open. They were very important in the founding and early history of Braavos, but they still exist to this day. Beyond that, I don't expect they'll have much importance to the present story.... and where's Elio when I need him?

Q: How long have Faceless Men been in existence.

A:Thousands of years, if their traditions can be believed. Longer than Braavos itself.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Questions_About_the_Faceless_Men

Is it commonly known in Westeros that Selmy is with Daenerys?

No one really has any idea where he is. Thats part if he reason why he went through all the trouble of pretending to be artsan whitebeard. he didnt want people to know where he was. he also wanted to make sure dany wasn't insane before he pledged his loyalty. but yeah, not many people know.

Archived