Small Questions v 10017

Stubby

Anyone have a source for this, from the wiki article on Jeor Mormont.

As Lord of Bear Island, Jeor marched to war under Lord Eddard Stark's banner during Robert's Rebellion. Within the next six years, he abdicated his seat in favor of his son, Ser Jorah Mormont, and joined the Night's Watch.

We know from a SSM that Benjen joined the watch shortly after Robert's Rebellion. I would think that if Benjen joined the watch before Jeor, he would probably been chosen Lord Commander over Mormont if only because of his name.

[...]

The time frame of the abdication within the next 6 years is given by Jorah relating it to Balon's first rebellion:

"Ser Jorah nodded. 'By then my father had taken the black, so I was Lord of Bear Island in my own right. I had no lack of marriage offers, but before I could reach a decision Lord Balon Greyjoy rose in rebel ion against the Usurper [...]' " (ACOK)

The "by then" refers to "by the time Jorah's first wife had died", which probably isn't much help with pinpointing the exact year.

The time frame of the abdication within the next 6 years is set by Jorah being lord in his own right at the time of Balon's first rebellion:

"Ser Jorah nodded. 'By then my father had taken the black, so I was Lord of Bear Island in my own right. I had no lack of marriage offers, but before I could reach a decision Lord Balon Greyjoy rose in rebel ion against the Usurper [...]" (ACOK)

Right, but how do we know that Jeor hadn't taken the black prior to Robert's Rebellion? (though since he chose Jorah's first bride it couldn't have been very long before) Does Joer ever mention fighting in the Rebellion?

Is it perchance known how man did the King in the North who bent the knee have? I mean, as a direct textual reference.

I'm going to assume you mean how many men\how large an army he had. There is no reference in the books as far as I'm aware. The info comes from this SSM.

Torrhen Stark had raised a large army (30,000) and had crossed the Neck. Aegon marched with an army half again that size. The Starks waited at Moat Cailin and took counsel. Torrhen's bastard brother, Brandon Snow, offered to sneak into the Targaryen camp and kill the three dragons. Instead, Torrhen sent three maesters to meet Aegon across the Trident. Torrhen would bend the knee and would be forever nown as "The King Who Knelt".

I'm going to assume you mean how many men\how large an army he had. There is no reference in the books as far as I'm aware. The info comes from this SSM.

I apologize, I didn't notice some text was missing out.. sometimes the cursor does move on its own and I end up deleting text unwarily.

You understood my question by the way, and answered it too quite well. Thanks. :bowdown:

We know from a SSM that Benjen joined the watch shortly after Robert's Rebellion. I would think that if Benjen joined the watch before Jeor, he would probably been chosen Lord Commander over Mormont if only because of his name.

I asked about that same wiki entry a few weeks ago and got no responses.

Do the Lannisters have Targaryenblood?

I'm asking because the Baratheons descent from Orys Baratheon, the rumoured bastard brother of Aegon the Conqueror. There have been Lannisters marrying Baratheons for a long time. This is the quote from aGoT.

The seed is strong, Jon Arryn had cried on his deathbed, and so it was. All those bastards, all with hair as black as night. Grand Maester Malleon recorded the last mating between stag and lion, some ninety years ago, when Tya Lannister wed Gowen Baratheon, third son of the reigning lord. Their only issue, an unnamed boy described in Malleon’s tome as a large and lusty lad born with a full head of black hair, died in infancy. Thirty years before that a male Lannister had taken a Baratheon maid to wife. She had given him three daughters and a son, each black-haired.

So a male Lannister married a maiden Baratheon, and had three daughters and a son, yet they were all black haired. All the Lannisters we know now, have blond hair. So Baratheon hair wins from Lannister hair. But is it still possible that the Lannisters have a little drop of dragonblood in them?

What happens to the children of a lord, who are not the first born ?

In the south the firstborn son inherits the titles, and the other children may pursue knighthood.

But what about the north ? What would Bran and Rickon have done with the rest of their lives ?

“One day, Bran, you will be Robb’s bannerman, holding a keep of your own for your brother

and your king, and justice will fall to you. When that day comes, you must take no pleasure in

the task, but neither must you look away. A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon

forgets what death is.”

I assume it would have been the same for Rickon.

Do the Lannisters have Targaryenblood?

I'm asking because the Baratheons descent from Orys Baratheon, the rumoured bastard brother of Aegon the Conqueror. There have been Lannisters marrying Baratheons for a long time. This is the quote from aGoT.

So a male Lannister married a maiden Baratheon, and had three daughters and a son, yet they were all black haired. All the Lannisters we know now, have blond hair. So Baratheon hair wins from Lannister hair. But is it still possible that the Lannisters have a little drop of dragonblood in them?

I think that is not in the main family of the Lannisters, and the info is about 120 years ago. That branch might have faded for all we know.

The Citadel and Maesters were started by Andals yes?

I mean, I don't see how people could study things without written documents.

First Men knew how to read and write in Runes, they kept written records but they are not readable now. House Hightower is a First Men House, so I think Oldtown and thus Citadel and the Maesters are before the Andal Invasion.

I could be wrong I didn't check the wiki but Logic says they were before the Andals.

The Citadel and Maesters were started by Andals yes?

I mean, I don't see how people could study things without written documents.

First Men knew how to read and write in Runes, they kept written records but they are not readable now. House Hightower is a First Men House, so I think Oldtown and thus Citadel and the Maesters are before the Andal Invasion.

I could be wrong I didn't check the wiki but Logic says they were before the Andals.

Afaik there is no hard evidence either way. Using ravens seems to be something that's a lot older than the Andals though (CotF stuff), but other elements of their order seem to be younger (e.g. the metal chains including materials like steel require more knowledge in metallurgy than the FM presumably possessed). It may be a FM order that adapted a bit when the Andals came, or a Andal order that took over some practices from the FM. For all we know, it might also be a relatively recent order that rediscovered the ancient practice of ravenry...

We do know is that they have been around for at least 3 centuries as Torrhen Stark had three maesters with him when he knelt. If the KitN had them even though their homebase is in the far South, then they can't have been too recent even then, so they are probably comfortably older than that.

BTW, if anyone knows of a mention of a maester before that, I'd be very interested.

Archived