Small Questions v 10017

Stubby

Cersei is pressuring Pycelle in that conversation, and threatening to throw him in the black cells. Later, in aDwD, Pycelle tells Kevan that he would never have spoken of moon tea if Cersei had not commended him to do so. However, it is all a big mystery.

Take note of how Pycelle is still trying to speak of the moon tea in aFfC when Cersei cut's him off. It could be that Margaery asked for moon tea, but for one of her ladies, and not for herself, since she must have known Cersei would be watching her every move. If this is true, it could explain why Pycelle did not want to say anything about it. He would have known that it wasn't meant for Margaery, but Cersei doesn't care about such things. Cersei had need for a half truth, and prevented Pycelle from saying the rest.

Or Margaery really messed things up and needed the moon tea for herself. It's all possible.

The Gorge near the Shadow Tower was under attack as well, that's where Marsh got injured. In that fight, more than 100 men died. When you say Mance had 100.000 fighting people going against Castle Black, I think you miscounted :). The fighters Mance brought were only 20.000 men, which is still a lot more than the Nights Watch had, of course.

The Shadow Tower had 200 men before Qorin Halfhand took 100 out beyond the Wall. So only a 100 were left. Castle Black had only 400 men left after the ranging had began, and Marsh took about 350 of these men, bringing the total of the Shadow Tower up to about 450.

Whilst fighting on the Bridge of Skulls, a 100 men died in battle. So they knew the wildlings were close to the Shadow Tower, and the Bridge of Skulls and the Gorge give the wildlings oppertunities to bypass the Wall. A man on top of the Wall can face many foes who are down on the floor, but when you have to fight in passes and on bridges, that advantage is lost. Perhaps they didn't think the attack on Castle Black was that serious. Perhaps they believed that Mance had sent more of his men out, to spread out over the length of the Wall. They probably feared that if they left a small force at the Shadow Tower, the Shadow Tower would be defeated and taken, and the wildlings would pass.

Only 350 men were left alive at the Shadow Tower, and we don't know how many of those were capable of fighting. Out of the 400 from Castle Black, Marsh left about 50 men at Castle Black, the old and crippled, the green boys who weren't ready for fighting. We don't know how many old and crippled there are at the Shadow Tower, or green boys still in training, but they'll be there as well.

And the wildlings weren't attacking only at Castle Black and the Shadow Tower. They were also attacking Woodswatch-by-the-Pool (Harma Dogshead), Long Barrow (Rattleshirt), Icemark(the Weeper, who later attacked Marsh at the Bridge of Skulls). Donel Noye says:

So there's confusion everywhere, which isn't quite over when Marsh gets 100 men killed and himself wounded in battle. The Shadow Tower needs men as well, and with all the attacks happening between the Shadow Tower and Castle Black, of course Marsh doesn't want to sent most men back to Castle Black. He believes Castle Black to be capable of withstanding the attack, since Mance and his people are still beyonde the Wall, and the garrison at Castle Black is on top of the Wall.

Also, with Marsh wounded so severly, he isn't going to be leading any group of men, and Mallister is needed for the command at the Shadow Tower. They could have sent someone else to take the command, but the fact remains that at least three castle in between the Shadow Tower and Castle Black were being attacked, and they tried to make as good a use of the few men they had left.

I'm not saying I agree with all of their tactics, but I hope this makes you understand their decisions a little more.

Thanks man. I appreciate the in depth explanation of what was frankly a poorly constructed question. Like my grammar was despicable but you got like perfect structure. I wish they could have explained some of that more directly in-book, but i guess that makes sense as to why theyd keep men at the shadow tower.

Where is everyone getting all of their random bits of information from GRRM? Is there a collection of interviews where he talks about details he plans on including in his next two books? I feel like in every thread, someone cites something GRRM said at one point but they never say where they got that information, as if it's common knowledge to everyone. I read my fair share of interviews but I learn very little that concerns the next two books.

Is there a link to a page that has some of this information?

Daenerys marched with 70000-80000 freedman to Mereen right?

Why did they follow her specifically while others stayed in Yunkai and Astapor?

Perhaps they did not whish to remain in the cities where they had been slaves. It is possible they wanted the option of being a free man in a new city, where there were no reminders of their past lives as slaves. No reason is stated in the books, but I can imagine they wanted to follow the person who had freed them, rather than stay behind, with the possibility of being inslaved again. Though others might have wanted to stay behind to set up shops and such.

And Dany had 80.000 freedman with her when she was camped outside of Meereen, that's right :)

In google, type

site:http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/

and then your search query. It will search the SSM instead of the whole internet.

I don't understand this. Where do i type the query? after the 'ssm/'?

Explain as if i'm an infant with l;earning difficulties.

I don't understand this. Where do i type the query? after the 'ssm/'?

Explain as if i'm an infant with l;earning difficulties.

Yes, after the "ssm/". With a blank in between. So if you're searching for what GRRM said about rainbows, you type in

site:http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/ rainbows

That being said, RumHam's alternative internal search also works of course.

Yes, after the "ssm/". With a blank in between. So if you're searching for what GRRM said about rainbows, you type in

site:http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/ rainbows

This is great! How have i lived without it?

I was impressed enough when you told me how to do a line

Aww man I am dim, i can't get it to work.

Using the link RumHam provided:

1. Enter "R'hllor" into search by keyword text box

2. Select "search in titles and entries".

3. Select "The Citadel: So Spake Martin" under Channels & Categories.

4. Click search.

Should bring up all SSM's related to R'hllor.

Edit. Alternatively, below are the Google search results for "R'hllor" under the SSM's.

https://www.google.co.za/#q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.westeros.org%2FCitadel%2FSSM%2F+r%27hllor

Archived