Small Questions v 10017

Stubby

General question: When is GRRM going to answer all of these questions and theories people have? There are so many loose ends right now that I imagine he will have to start in the next book, but has he hinted about this at all?

General question: When is GRRM going to answer all of these questions and theories people have? There are so many loose ends right now that I imagine he will have to start in the next book, but has he hinted about this at all?

SSM This is a collection of letters, interviews, and appearances where he has answered general questions. Some of the mysteries can be deduced there others will play out in the novels but most likely a lot of the more outlandish ideas will not come to light. See also the following threads here and here.

Hope that helps.

Has anyone in the book actually observed Ser Robert Strong fighting or practising at arms?

Nope.

Also, how did Varys know that LF was the one who manipulated Joff into killing Ned whenever he was so shocked about his execution?

Could it be that Varys is just trying to turn Tyrion against LF further?

I know people bring up Janos Slynt as a LF pawn, but couldn't you say the same of Ilyn Payne?

Nope.

Also, how did Varys know that LF was the one who manipulated Joff into killing Ned whenever he was so shocked about his execution?

Could it be that Varys is just trying to turn Tyrion against LF further?

I know people bring up Janos Slynt as a LF pawn, but couldn't you say the same of Ilyn Payne?

In this case, I missed Varys telling Tyrion LF was behind Ned's execution, even though I have been thinking it all this time.Is it actually stated in the text at some point?

In this case, I missed Varys telling Tyrion LF was behind Ned's execution, even though I have been thinking it all this time.Is it actually stated in the text at some point?

No. People like to pretend its a fact though, which is why I'm questioning it.

I believe its somewhere around the part where Varys gives Tyrion the answer to the riddle.

And apparently Varys implies that maybe it wasn't Joff who really killed Ned and that a small man can cast a large shadow(LF not Tyrion).

No. People like to pretend its a fact though, which is why I'm questioning it.

I believe its somewhere around the part where Varys gives Tyrion the answer to the riddle.

And apparently Varys implies that maybe it wasn't Joff who really killed Ned and that a small man can cast a large shadow(LF not Tyrion).

Ah, well, in that case, allow me to give it a try.

Varys did not know beforehand that Ned was going to die. He really believed he had convinced Joff to spare Ned. Yet when the deed was done, knowing that Joff at that point was still very influential, and both he and Cersei had told him not to kill Ned, Varys needed only to look at who would benifit from Ned being dead. This could only (?) have been LF. But Varys did not know Ned was going to die when he stood outside the Sept of Baelor, which is why he was so shocked.

Varys and LF are shown to be each others enemies in the TV series, but in the books, this is less evident. Of course, they are the two major players in the books, no one can deny that. Tyrion already knew not to trust Varys and he already knew not to trust LF. Perhaps Varys wanted to make Tyrion more suspicious against LF. But I doubt that was necessary, and Varys would have known that.

Sure, Janos Slynt was a pawn, but I think Ser Ilyn is simply a man who does what he is told to do, either by the highest official present (Joffrey) or by his original boss (Tywin). His office comes from his service to Tywin, after all. Ser Ilyn is a Lannister man, but I don't think he'll be used as a pawn in the way Janos Slynt was. Ser Ilyn doesn't seem to want a lot of things, whereas Slynt was a greedy man who wanted money and power and even more once he had secured the first two.

Would a LC of the NW be called "My Lord" even if he isn't? Like Jon sort of picked up the nickname before he ever became one, and the same could be said of Bloodraven. So if say, Satin, were made LC would he be Lord Satin or not?

What does the L in LC stand for... ?

I think the NW commander holds the rank of Lord just by being teh NW commander, regardless of his origins.

What does the L in LC stand for... ?

I think the NW commander holds the rank of Lord just by being teh NW commander, regardless of his origins.

I know the LC stands for Lord Commander, I meant in regards to the rest of the Realm(not that they seem to have any respect for the NW) but would another Lord refer to him as Lord. I guess I should have been a little more specific.

I know the LC stands for Lord Commander, I meant in regards to the rest of the Realm(not that they seem to have any respect for the NW) but would another Lord refer to him as Lord. I guess I should have been a little more specific.

Stannis refers to him as Lord Snow.

Does Yohn Royce know that his sons are dead?

Not sure, the NW might have send his a message saying that his son Waymar was missing. The tale of how Loras Tyrell killed Robar Royce seems to be a rather well known one, so he probably knows about that. But his eldest son Andar is still alive, according to the appendix of aFfC and aDwD.

Does Yohn Royce know that his sons are dead?

Waymar: the Nights Watch likely informed him sometime after Benjen failed to return. I imagine if it hadnt been done by Mormont Jon would probably.have sent word.

Robar: Again, very likely. The story about Renly's murder and Loras' rampage are pretty well know in the novels.

His heir is still alive in the Vale i believe.

All of this is just guesswork.by the way

In the first Theon chapter in Clash, was his cloak ever described as "flapping?"

Nope.

Theon drew the hood of his cloak up against the spray

That is the closest there is, his cloak is otherwise mentionned twice because he's touching Robb's letter, once when he takes it off and once when he puts it back on, and once when he is blessed by Aeron.

All books about dragons are written about the Targaryen ones right?

Like, there are no text or written records of dragons from the days of Andals?

So if true, all the Westerosi ancient dragons should have been killed during the days of the First Men, and presumably the Long Night.

All books about dragons are written about the Targaryen ones right?

Like, there are no text or written records of dragons from the days of Andals?

So if true, all the Westerosi ancient dragons should have been killed during the days of the First Men, and presumably the Long Night.

I didn't even know there were once dragond in Westeros.

I didn't even know there were once dragond in Westeros.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Dragons_in_Westeros

Dragons existed everywhere once. Soutyros, all over Essos, Summer Isles and presumably Ulthos....

Something wiped all of them out except for the ones in the 14 fires of Valyria. I like to assume it was the long night.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Serwyn

Serwyn lived in the time of the First Men, thousands of years before there were Kingsguard or even knights in Westeros.

Anyone know of a source for this? I don't find any indication that he lived thousands of years ago in the books.

Bran was going to be a knight himself someday, one of the Kingsguard. Old Nan said they were the finest swords in all the realm. There were only seven of them, and they wore white armor and had no wives or children, but lived only to serve the king. Bran knew all the stories. Their names were like music to him. Serwyn of the Mirror Shield. Ser Ryam Redwyne. Prince Aemon the Dragonknight. The twins Ser Erryk and Ser Arryk, who had died on one another’s swords hundreds of years ago, when brother fought sister in the war the singers called the Dance of the Dragons. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. Barristan the Bold.

He was so gallant, she thought. The way he had rescued her from Ser Ilyn and the Hound, why, it was almost like the songs, like the time Serwyn of the Mirror Shield saved the Princess Daeryssa from the giants, or Prince Aemon the Dragonknight championing Queen Naerys’s honor against evil Ser Morgil’s slanders.
The smallfolk talk of him in the same way they talk of Serwyn of the Mirror Shield and Prince Aemon the Dragonknight. What do you imagine they’ll think when they see Barristan the Bold riding beside Robb Stark or Stannis Baratheon?”
“I also planted the notion of Ser Loras taking the white. Not that I suggested it, that would have been too crude. But men in my party supplied grisly tales about how the mob had killed Ser Preston Greenfield and raped the Lady Lollys, and slipped a few silvers to Lord Tyrell’s army of singers to sing of Ryam Redwyne, Serwyn of the Mirror Shield, and Prince Aemon the Dragonknight. A harp can be as dangerous as a sword, in the right hands.

“No doubt. Well, Hugor Hill, answer me this. How did Serwyn of the Mirror Shield slay the
dragon Urrax?”
“He approached behind his shield. Urrax saw only his own reflection until Serwyn had plunged
his spear through his eye.”

Archived