Small Questions v 10017

Stubby

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Serwyn

Anyone know of a source for this? I don't find any indication that he lived thousands of years ago in the books.

All I can find is this http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/Which_are_the_dragons_that_have_been_named

"Legends of Serwyn of the Mirror Shield—a figure Martin says originates in from the distant past, but has been used repeatedly by contemporary singers—claim he defeated the dragon Urrax using his shield to distract it."

So apparently GRRM said something to that effect, though I still find it passing odd that he is always mentioned in conjunction with the KG greats.

All I can find is this http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/Which_are_the_dragons_that_have_been_named

"Legends of Serwyn of the Mirror Shield—a figure Martin says originates in from the distant past, but has been used repeatedly by contemporary singers—claim he defeated the dragon Urrax using his shield to distract it."

So apparently GRRM said something to that effect, though I still find it passing odd that he is always mentioned in conjunction with the KG greats.

Ah ok so that's something at least. Maybe Ran or the world book will clarify.

Ah ok so that's something at least. Maybe Ran or the world book will clarify.

There's one slightly more direct quote from AFFC:

The First Men only left us runes on rocks, so everything we think we know about the Age of Heroes and the Dawn Age and the Long Night comes from accounts set down by septons thousands of years later. There are archmaesters at the Citadel who question all of it. Those old histories are full of kings who reigned for hundreds of years, and knights riding around a thousand years before there were knights. You know the tales, Brandon the Builder, Symeon Star-Eyes, Night’s King.

Edit: Sorry, that's about Symeon and not about Serwyn of course.

In aFfC Pycelle tells Cersei that he's been making moon tea for Margaery... Is he just guessing at what Cersei wants to hear? Or is there a chance that it's true?

It's true, but we don't know why she's taking it.

if you reread that passage, you will notice that Cersei interrupts Pycelle before he can finnish his sentence. i think maybe he was going to continue about Marg's maid who was spending time with a knight, a Kettleblack maybe, i forget. but she doesnt let him finish his thought, and this is after w hear about one of her ladies having a relationship of some kind with a knight at court.

Is Larence Snow (bastard son of Lord Hornwood) mentioned in ADWD? I feel a big deal was made of him during one of Brans chapters in ACOK where it was suggested Robb could legitimise him to be a Hornwood. Its mentioned that some Hornwood men joined Stannis, could he be leading them?

Is Larence Snow (bastard son of Lord Hornwood) mentioned in ADWD? I feel a big deal was made of him during one of Brans chapters in ACOK where it was suggested Robb could legitimise him to be a Hornwood. Its mentioned that some Hornwood men joined Stannis, could he be leading them?

He isn't mentioned in ADwD. He is only thirteen so I doubt he is leading the Hornwood men. He is probably still at Deepwood Motte.

That does not imply he cheated on his wife, it could also mean that he slept with other women before he got married, right?

Strictly speaking it could, but the "but" and the context (Davos describes to Melisandre that he isn't perfect) implies that having known other women is a blemish on his relationship with his wife, which does suggest rather strongly that knowing these women is something that happened while he was already married.

Ok, so I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but what are the covers supposed to be of? These http://www.bangzo.com/ebayimages/georgerrmartinh7boxed.jpg

I don't know what the first one is, the second is a crown, but whose? Nobody's crown is described like the picture. The third is just an ordinary helm I assume, but is the shield on part two Robb's? Sort of looks like there is a wolf on it. I'm only starting AFFC now, so idk the rest, but are they all items from the story, or just random fantasy art?

Hey guys i was wondering if any of you could help me to find out where to buy the first dunk an egg story the hedge knight.

I know its in the book called legends which is filled with lots of other short stories, but the only one i can find is the one with only 4 stories and not the complete edition.

So ya any sites you know that sell it, please let me know i would really appreciate it.

Hey guys i was wondering if any of you could help me to find out where to buy the first dunk an egg story the hedge knight.

I know its in the book called legends which is filled with lots of other short stories, but the only one i can find is the one with only 4 stories and not the complete edition.

So ya any sites you know that sell it, please let me know i would really appreciate it.

The Hedge Knight is also featured in Dreamsongs, part II, a collection of (great) short stories and novellas by GRRM. You can buy it on amazon.

Ok, so I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but what are the covers supposed to be of? These http://www.bangzo.com/ebayimages/georgerrmartinh7boxed.jpg

I don't know what the first one is, the second is a crown, but whose? Nobody's crown is described like the picture. The third is just an ordinary helm I assume, but is the shield on part two Robb's? Sort of looks like there is a wolf on it. I'm only starting AFFC now, so idk the rest, but are they all items from the story, or just random fantasy art?

I have those exactly same books, except DwD as a one book.

AGoTs picture... I've always thought it's a dragon. Reference to final chapter.

ACoKs crown isn't any known crown. I guess it just symbolizes the fact that there are many kings out there.

ASoS - helm and shield. General stuff of war.

AFfC and chalice. I don't have an idea. Maybe it's reference to "feast" - there is drinking in every feast.

ADwD. Another shield, plus sword. Equipment of war once again, I don't think they have any significance.

Archived