SPOILERS: End of Book- A Dance with Dragons

Harry_Potter

If you haven't finished the book yet I suggest don't continue reading this post.

I would like to share my feelings about this 5th book.

The story lines are great but sometimes I feel like I am getting lost because there are so many characters. Whenever a name is being mentioned I have to check on google who that person is etc and this being written by GRRM I tend to think that every little chatacter that we face in the books has some kind of importance in the events but it is so impossible to keep all of them in my mind.

As to the current state of politics: There are so many factors that might influence the outcome of the events. It is like rock, paper and scissors. Danny has dragons but Bran has the ability to control them (fly). On the other hand the young Aegon is actually in westeros as opposed to Danny who is tangled in the other side of the world.

What is the role of Jon going to be? Until now I understood that Jon will never leave the wall and his role will be obvious when we finally see the white walkers attacking the wall but I wonder if Jon will play a major role in westeros politics/fighting? If Jon turns out to be Azor Ahai so what? He still will be on the wall.

It seems like Arya is being trained to an assassin. Most probably she will come back to Westeros and kill the people on her list.

Sansa most probably will claim Winterfell.

Conclusion: I feel like none of these people will get the iron throne. At the end sombody that we never heard of will get the Irone Throne because it is NEVER a big part of the stories who gets the Irone Throne. The realtionships between these characters seems to be the central point of the books.

Please share your ideas with me.

Harry Potter

Hello Harry potter !

I agree with you there are a lot of characters in this book and besides that I personally found some chapters in the middle a bit boring especially all the events in mereen you have to wait till the last chapters to get some very good stuff going on..

Actually I think neither Bran nor Jon will be involved in politics because of the big treat of the WW coming..

And concerning the others you might be right there are so many factors : Dany and her dragons, Aegon on the other, without forgetting the greyjoys !!

I wish i had never read those books till the saga is complete the waiting is impossible :crying:

The story lines are great but sometimes I feel like I am getting lost because there are so many characters. Whenever a name is being mentioned I have to check on google who that person is etc and this being written by GRRM I tend to think that every little chatacter that we face in the books has some kind of importance in the events but it is so impossible to keep all of them in my mind.

As to the current state of politics: There are so many factors that might influence the outcome of the events. It is like rock, paper and scissors. Danny has dragons but Bran has the ability to control them (fly). On the other hand the young Aegon is actually in westeros as opposed to Danny who is tangled in the other side of the world.

What is the role of Jon going to be? Until now I understood that Jon will never leave the wall and his role will be obvious when we finally see the white walkers attacking the wall but I wonder if Jon will play a major role in westeros politics/fighting? If Jon turns out to be Azor Ahai so what? He still will be on the wall.

It seems like Arya is being trained to an assassin. Most probably she will come back to Westeros and kill the people on her list.

Conclusion: I feel like none of these people will get the iron throne. At the end sombody that we never heard of will get the Irone Throne because it is NEVER a big part of the stories who gets the Irone Throne. The realtionships between these characters seems to be the central point of the books.

Please share your ideas with me.

You are asking all the right questions. Only Martin has the answers. Two days ago I read that he told the HBO folks how the series ends, but not exactly how it all gets there.

If Jon is AA, then I think he must be released from the Wall. There is no precedence for this, but Barristan Slemy was released from the Kingsgaurd. Jon is charged with protecting the realm. If he is AA, then he must fulfill is role and protect the realm in that manner.

As for keeping track of characters, Googling is a good idea. After starting Swords, I began keeping a card index - I am pretty old school - all the cards are marked with the book name, character and direct quote with page number. And cross referenced. I could not keep the folks in the East straight. I made my own map, because places kept popping up and disappearing.Now there are good maps on here.

My initial thought was that Dany would come North and flame the WW. I don't know it Mel has the power to fight all of them. We have been told that obsidian will kill them, and it is hinted that Valaryn steel will kill them. How many blades of Valaryn steel there are is unknown, at least to me. Now Dany flaming the WW seems too easy -- I would like to know the why of the WW.

Just as I would like to know the why of Mel. She claims to be the Red God's. But she produces killing shadows. She claims Stannis is AA, but tricks up swords for him. I believe she is a thrall of the Other. Watch me be wrong.

I thought Arya would have rejected the House of Black and White by now. I would hate to see that little girl who worked so hard to get to her mother become an assassin. I keep reminding myself that Needle is under the stone. She keeps a secret from the Kindly Man. That may be her saving grace. Perhaps she stays to learn to kill her enemies. She has her prayer of names.

Martin stated that this is the story of a restoration of a family to the throne. Is that Targ? If not, there are a lot of them littering the landscape.

Martin also stated that the ending would be bittersweet. Perhaps Winterfell becomes a ruin, and the Starks have different roles to play. But Ned stated there must always be a Stark at Winterfell. It seems empty but for this ghost.

Someone will end up on the Iron Throne. There are too many candidates right now.

And I think we might not get all the answers to everyone's story line. That is the way real life is, never know with Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

i just have the feeling Bran will win the throne. as for jon, i think he may be killed by Dany, if he isnt killed by the nights watch

Bran's current position doesn't suggest much movement in the future. Plus he is a child. Who exactly do you think would support him? As for Jon, he is far more likely to marry Dany than be killed by her.

• 3 weeks later...

Harry Potter

Cuboard Under the Stairs

4 Privet Drive

Dear Mr. Potter,

I really think that all these wars in westeros are just George setting up the utter destruction of westeros. Everyone is at everyone else's throats and that will mean the WW's can just come down and kill everyone because they're all distracted with each other. (we know george loves killing people) The only people that survive the winter are the ones that hide from the WW's and those on Essos. Dany will come and defeat the WW's with the dragons and some help from Jon and Aegon(the other two heads of the dragon) BUT almost everyone in westeros will be dead.

My List of Survivors of Winter on Westeros(characters in Essos are safe from winter obviously): Jon, Aegon, Melissandre or Thoros but not both, Bran, Brienne. All other major characters on westeros will die along with most of the population of westeros.

The series is calld a song of ice and fire not the fight for the iron throne so i don't think it matters who wins the throne. I think the fact that Dany is tangled up on the other side of the world will save her from the initial onslaught of the WW's and her coming to westeros will represent the coming of spring. But who the hell knows what George is writing he has surprised everyone so far, what's to say he can't do it again and who are we to try and theorize about what he's writing? I guess this is just what happens when you have to wait years inbetween books.

Sincerely,

Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

• 1 month later...

I believe that by the end of the books there will no longer be a Iron Throne. I think what was born out of dragon conquest will die out of a northern attack. I think the storm brewing in the north beyond the wall will come down and freeze out the squabbling for the iron throne and focus on just staying alive, possibly unite against a common enemy. I believe all of the lords will want to control their own areas like before. They will see an opportunity to abolish the single king throne and go back to a bunch of smaller more stable kingdoms.

• 1 month later...

Aegon isn't a real Targ, I don't think he'll be fighting for very long. His arrogance will cause his death and soon IMO. I don't think he'll survive tWoW.

The wall is supposed to fall, and how it pans out from there is all up to GRRM. However, I think him "dying" relieves him of his duty to the NW. But where he goes from there I can't say. I'd also like to know how the 1000th LC is going to play out, I mean surely it has to have some kind of significance.

Hope she gets back soon.

I really hope she takes the Vale's forces to avenge Ned Stark and Cat! It would be an added bonus if she did it alongside Jon and Arya, I think Rickon will take Winterfell.

I have a feeling it's going to end like that too. Or go back to how it was before Aegon conquered and just have a bunch of random kingdoms

I feel like none of these people will get the iron throne. At the end sombody that we never heard of will get the Irone Throne because it is NEVER a big part of the stories who gets the Irone Throne. The realtionships between these characters seems to be the central point of the books.

This is an interesting point. ASOIAF is loosely influenced by the War of the Roses between Houses York and Lancaster, and in the end the victor was a nobody from a nothing house called Henry Tudor.

• 2 weeks later...

Harry Potter

Cuboard Under the Stairs

4 Privet Drive

Dear Mr. Potter,

I really think that all these wars in westeros are just George setting up the utter destruction of westeros. Everyone is at everyone else's throats and that will mean the WW's can just come down and kill everyone because they're all distracted with each other. (we know george loves killing people) The only people that survive the winter are the ones that hide from the WW's and those on Essos. Dany will come and defeat the WW's with the dragons and some help from Jon and Aegon(the other two heads of the dragon) BUT almost everyone in westeros will be dead.

My List of Survivors of Winter on Westeros(characters in Essos are safe from winter obviously): Jon, Aegon, Melissandre or Thoros but not both, Bran, Brienne. All other major characters on westeros will die along with most of the population of westeros.

The series is calld a song of ice and fire not the fight for the iron throne so i don't think it matters who wins the throne. I think the fact that Dany is tangled up on the other side of the world will save her from the initial onslaught of the WW's and her coming to westeros will represent the coming of spring. But who the hell knows what George is writing he has surprised everyone so far, what's to say he can't do it again and who are we to try and theorize about what he's writing? I guess this is just what happens when you have to wait years inbetween books.

Sincerely,

Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

This idea of total destruction of Westeros has been bothering me.

Esso has some farms, at least it is indicated in ADWD. But otherwise, it seems a barren place. Of course, I have no idea what the lands are like beyond. It seems there must be some farmland -- how are people there to eat? Not everyone can be a Mel and not eat.

Even if the dragon scorch Westeros, things should grow back. Slowly.

I keep going back to Martin's early words, that this is the story of a restoration. How can Aegon - if he is a Blackfyre -- be restored? They never had the throne.

Archived