NFL Week 8: End of the Weeden Dynasty

sperry

Definitely the Chiefs. They're great at home but they're not a great team and they really struggle to score at times. The Broncos most definitely are. And if Sunday is any indication, they've gotten their defensive shit together. I think the combination of the return of Von Miller back to form and Wesley Woodyard back from injury has gotten them back to (or even better than) where they were defensively last year when they were just rolling. I don't know how much was the Redskins O-line breaking down/RGIII sucking, but I do know the Broncos were blowing up the pocket on what seemed like every play while simultaneously blanketing the receivers. Was the most impressive defensive performance I've seen as far as shutting down the full read-option/pistol offense. I thought the Skins were gonna light them up - instead I was just concerned about RGIII making it through the game.

I would much rather see the Broncos team in the playoffs rather than the Chiefs. The Broncos defense is just terrible. If you can knock Manning off his spot (which is incredibly hard to do), he looses the game. Even though that is a hard thing to do, I think that it is far easier than to face that KC defense that is playing the best in the NFL right now.

I would much rather see the Broncos team in the playoffs rather than the Chiefs. The Broncos defense is just terrible. If you can knock Manning off his spot (which is incredibly hard to do), he looses the game. Even though that is a hard thing to do, I think that it is far easier than to face that KC defense that is playing the best in the NFL right now.

It was terrible. Now they have Von Miller and Woodyard back, two key pieces. They're much stronger now defensively than they were a few weeks ago. Additionally, for our team, Atkins is a huge piece to knocking Manning off his spot and if he can only play limited snaps, it puts a major dent in our ability to get to Manning.

So fair enough, play the Broncos but I'd rather play against Alex Smith than Peyton Manning.

It was terrible. Now they have Von Miller and Woodyard back, two key pieces. They're much stronger now defensively than they were a few weeks ago. Additionally, for our team, Atkins is a huge piece to knocking Manning off his spot and if he can only play limited snaps, it puts a major dent in our ability to get to Manning.

So fair enough, play the Broncos but I'd rather play against Alex Smith than Peyton Manning.

The Broncos defense last week looked totally different with Miller back. He is one of the most dominant pass rushers in the game and can singlehandedly cover up a lot of flaws in the secondary.

The chiefs have played what has to be the leagues worst schedule (zero teams above .500) and are squeaking out wins. They're dramatically improved, but I'm not believing they're a legitimate super bowl contender until they play someone with a pulse. They also can't exploit Denver's biggest weakness, which is pass defense.

Yeah, I don't see the Chiefs doing well in the playoffs. Regular season I figure they'll be great - super easy schedule thanks to sucking last year + a great defense. But despite what the old adage says, defense doesn't win championships or playoff games by itself, not very often at least. And while their defense is great, it's not legendary enough to throttle teams to the point of death in a big game.

I fully expect Denver to murder them a couple times.

You clearly didn't watch how they played Sunday.

Also this Chiefs team is like every good Chiefs team of the last 20 years. They may win homefield throughout, but it doesn't make them close to the best team in their conference and I would take both the Broncos and the Bengals and maybe even the Colts and Patriots to beat them in the playoffs.

The Broncos defense last week looked totally different with Miller back. He is one of the most dominant pass rushers in the game and can singlehandedly cover up a lot of flaws in the secondary.

The secondary has been hugely flawed to this point. But on Sunday they seemed to blanket everyone but Jordan Reed pretty well. DRC and Chris Harris are probably in the top 5 of most talented CB tandems in the NFL even if they haven't played like it yet.

Yeah, I don't see the Chiefs doing well in the playoffs. Regular season I figure they'll be great - super easy schedule thanks to sucking last year + a great defense. But despite what the old adage says, defense doesn't win championships or playoff games by itself, not very often at least. And while their defense is great, it's not legendary enough to throttle teams to the point of death in a big game.

I fully expect Denver to murder them a couple times.

Not only that, but the Chiefs schedule is about to get a whole lot harder. They have eight games left:

@ Buf

@ Denver

SD

Denver

@ Washington

@ Oakland

Indy

@ San Diego

That's five road games, plus homers against three teams with winning records. The Chiefs are already 8-0, but i could easily see them finishing 12-4, maybe even 11-5.

Not only that, but the Chiefs schedule is about to get a whole lot harder. They have eight games left:

@ Buf

@ Denver

SD

Denver

@ Washington

@ Oakland

Indy

@ San Diego

That's five road games, plus homers against three teams with winning records. The Chiefs are already 8-0, but i could easily see them finishing 12-4, maybe even 11-5.

Those Denver games are huge. I think they get swept in them, but if they're able to split they keep the inside track for homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. At least Arrowhead will be rocking in two weeks.

ETA: err 4 weeks

Those Denver games are huge. I think they get swept in them, but if they're able to split they keep the inside track for homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. At least Arrowhead will be rocking in two weeks.

ETA: err 4 weeks

Maybe I'm not giving the Chiefs enough credit (they are winning after all) but I think that even going 1-1 with the Broncos they are going to be hard pressed to win the division and get homefield throughout. The AFC West is looking very tough, and they still have to play all three of their road games. Plus that Indy game. I don't think 12-4 finishes ahead of Denver and I doubt they can get 5 more wins. Which sets up (a likely) wild card matchup in New England.

Ben Muth - my favorite writer at FO - has a truly excellent piece on what is up with TRich 3.0. A lot of it is on the crappy OLine of the Colts, and a lot of it is on TRich.

Really good article.

Watching each of those GIFs, he's just really not making guys miss. There's moments where you see the quickness, but given his natural ability and size, he seems to go down way too easily. Not enough slipperiness or power. I get the Colts aren't a strong run blocking line but even with what's blocked he doesn't maximize it.

Ben Muth - my favorite writer at FO - has a truly excellent piece on what is up with TRich 3.0. A lot of it is on the crappy OLine of the Colts, and a lot of it is on TRich.

I think what we're seeing is that these Alabama running backs are products of a system. Running behind a bunch of o-linemen that are going to play in the NFL is going to allow these guys to put up huge numbers in college. Now being a product of the system doesn't mean you can't succeed in the NFL (it could be you'd succeed in any system) but it makes it hard to evaluate which ones are going to thrive in the NFL.

Just heard Mike Tirico point out that the slate for next week features only one game where both teams are over .500 and that's the Monday nighter of Chicago vs Green Bay.

Ugggh.

But would you want to take an offense that as you say relies on no huddle and good communication at the line of scrimmage on the road into Arrowhead where they set a record for crowd noise just a couple weeks ago? Or would you rather take your stingy defense into Mile High Stadium in December when Peyton will be dealing with frigid temperatures and possibly inclement weather?

Given the choice, I'd take Denver as my opponent over the Chiefs. Peyton has looked human for two weeks running now, and I'm not sold on the Donkeys defense at all.

Just heard Mike Tirico point out that the slate for next week features only one game where both teams are over .500 and that's the Monday nighter of Chicago vs Green Bay.

Ugggh.

Also about 8 days hence to possibly be known as one of the highest scoring game of all time. I'll be surprised if Green Bay doesn't put up around 50 on the Bears D and the Bears to put up another 40 or so on Green Bay, especially without Clay Matthews in the lineup.

You clearly didn't watch how they played Sunday.

I missed the second half of Bravehearts vs Broncos, but the Donkeys defense did not look good in the first half. Alfred Morris was killing them right, left and up the middle. Washington couldn't seal the deal, but they were dominating the battle for field position and were chewing tons of time off the clock. Seemed like the first half was more or less a clinic on how to beat Peyton, and most of that could be pinned on Denver's defense.

I missed the second half of Bravehearts vs Broncos, but the Donkeys defense did not look good in the first half. Alfred Morris was killing them right, left and up the middle. Washington couldn't seal the deal, but they were dominating the battle for field position and were chewing tons of time off the clock. Seemed like the first half was more or less a clinic on how to beat Peyton, and most of that could be pinned on Denver's defense.

The Skins run on everybody though. They'd just come off two 200+ yard rushing games. The Skins offense is set up to be able to break off big runs against teams and dominate the clock that way. Against the Broncos, the Skins were successful at that precisely one time on Sunday - that drive you're mentioning. That's it. The thing is they kept RGIII from hurting them with his legs and they absolutely punished him in the pocket. Considering two TDs were gift wrapped by turnovers, for all intents and purposes the Broncos just held an offense that went for 45 points last week to 7.

Now it's possible the Broncos just figured out a scheme that excels against the read option. But everything I saw on Sunday leads me to believe it's sustainable.

The Skins run on everybody though. They'd just come of 200+ yard rushing games. The Skins offense is set up to be able to break off big runs against teams and dominate the clock that way. Against the Broncos, the Skins were successful at that precisely one time on Sunday - that drive you're mentioning. That's it.

They pinned Denver inside the 10 yard line on like 3 successive drives, no? Most of that on the back of Morris's rushing, if memory serves.

And to use your own point, K.C.'s offensive strength is their run game, and I think it's even stronger than Washington's. I just think the Chief's are the more daunting opponent right now.

They pinned Denver inside the 10 yard line on like 3 successive drives, no? Most of that on the back of Morris's rushing, if memory serves.

And to use your own point, K.C.'s offensive strength is their run game, and I think it's even stronger than Washington's. I just think the Chief's are the more daunting opponent right now.

The Broncos are #2 in the NFL in rush defense. A big part of that is always having the lead, but they're also holding opposing teams to 3.4 ypc so it's not like there's this big weakness here.

Jamaal Charles is a great back, but as he's the Chiefs only big weapon, I can't imagine his presence alone is keeping Jack Del Rio up at night.

ETA: Oops, #3 behind the Jets and Panthers.

ETA2: Looks line Washington runs the ball better than KC in terms of yards per game, ypc etc. That said, top two teams in running the ball are SF and Seattle, and GB is #4 amazingly, all teams I could easily see meeting them in the Superbowl so they better continue to have their shit together.

Archived