Re-Read

The_Kingslayer

Definitely re-read, but I wouldn't re-read immediately. I have to suggest the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb as an interim series, it's one of GRRM's favorite authors and if you want to see a bittersweet ending and some new takes on the fantasy genre, that series is definitely for you. I'm currently re-reading now and am enjoying it even more than I did the first time. SO many things I missed. I'm also reading AFFC and ADWD in parallel and I have to say it is WAY WAY better to do it that way.

I have been on a continuous reread since i first started. Just been constantly cycling through all five books for years now lol I can honestly say I pick up something new each time i open a book. I've also had to accept the fact that I'm an uber nerd and social Isaiah whose friends roll their eyes the moment I say "that's just like in Dance when..." Someone out there has to know what I mean lol

I know what you mean. I keep my mouth shut about ASOIAF in the real world.

Hey guys nothing about the contents of the books really but would you say doing a re-read is worth it? Don't know what other books to read tbh haha.

It really depends on your reading preferences and the way you are interested in interacting with the series. They way I see it is that if you really enjoy something and you have the time and resources, doing the enjoyable thing again (and again and again) is probably worth it. People watch movies more than once, go on vacation more than once, eat dessert more than once, have sex more than once....re-experiencing a book isn't really any different.

I'll reiterate what others mentioned. There are many ways to reread. You can do it cover-to-cover, by character or other sort of arc. One of my friends has a number compulsion and when she rereads her favorite books, she'll start with an even number chapter or page and then hit all the evens until she reaches the end and then starts over with the odd numbers. Yeah, it's weird, but it's how she likes to do it. You can pick random pages to reread. You can even reread by participating in discussions. For example, if there's a discussion about unicorns and you want to get involved, you can go through the text to find unicorn mentions and reread those sections, give your input on the topic, then move to the next thing.

Point is, if you find the material enjoyable and you have the time, yes rereading can be worth it.

im looking for my sister a maid.....

Hahahaha,

"I am looking for a maid of three-and-ten. A highborn maid and very beautiful, with blue eyes and auburn hair. She may have been traveling with a portly knight of forty years, or perhaps with a fool..." (x100)

But in all seriousness, I highly recommend a reread. As many users upthread posted there is many and more details you so easily miss. I'm on my first reread, and I plan to do a character reread after I've completed this one.

To the OP:

Yes! It's absolutely worth to re-read it if you want to dive deeper into the story. There are so many details and little things that are forgotten after the first read. And a lot of moments of foreshadowing, dreams, and prophecies that will start to make sense during a second read. I'm close to finishing my re-read (ca. 400 pages to go in ADWD), After that i'm thinking of doing re-reads by character, probably starting with Stannis.

ps. Reading this forum inbetween re-reads has made it even more interesting.

Rereads and the rereading forums will keep you busy. The rereading threads add so much info that is easily missed. Provides great insight. Try reading Stephen Donaldsons a Thomas Covenant chronicles. The final book has just been published. 10 books in all that just get better. Brilliant read.

GRRM also recommended the Acccursed Kings. Loved it.

Thank you, aceluby , for the Farseer triology tip.

Now one of my favorite series... there are 3 different trilogies, I have a borrowed book after my simultaneous AFFC/ADWD re-read, but then I'm starting the next two trilogies, Tawny Man and The Fool, continuations of Farseer. I loved them and GRRM has said she's one of his favorite authors.

• 3 weeks later...

They are short stories that are absolutely essential to read for any ASOIAF fan. You will meet many Targaryens...including a young Walder Frey and Bloodraven himself!

Lord Frey's "hideous little heir" as Ser Duncan describes the four year old Walder near the end of "The Mystery Knight" Walder started early.....

Archived