Brooklyn Nine Nine [SPOILERS]

Sci-2

I must have missed all the previous mentions of the past history between Gina and Peralta. Because this episode was a bit of a revelation for me.

And it was so good to see Rosa genuinely laugh at Boyle's antics. It felt like a shipping moment, for a minute there.

I'm even less of a fan of Boyle/Diaz now. She didn't want him when he was into her and now he's not into her and she does want him. That's new. On the other hand more back story on Gina and Peralta (he got her the job there...that explains it) as friends or Terry and Holt working together is miles bettetr than any of the shipping stuff. Peralta's mail-tub was hilarious, and Holt calling out his "slightly sad childhood."

Boyle and Diaz did give me the biggest laugh as they reacted to the weekend detective shaving his mustache and then blowing the hair onto the desk.

Yeah. I also didn't really feel like there was shipping between them. I got the feeling it was more just being friendly with each other and getting past Boyle's infatuation.

eta: Oh the Gina-Peralta thing was definitely new. Was a bit off as I don't recall them interacting much in prior episodes.

I think the Gina/Peralta history was a retcon. They realised they needed to give her more connection to the group and came up with that.

yeah, that was wierd

as was rosa laughing at the tom selleck bit. the whole rose/boyle plotline was not great

Thoughts? It felt a little forced to me, all three subplots, though I did dig Peraltas characters and 'Bill Perp."

The only misstep I saw was doing the obvious 'Boyle was lying' thing at the end, otherwise a pretty good episode.

The only misstep I saw was doing the obvious 'Boyle was lying' thing at the end, otherwise a pretty good episode.

I...missed that he was lying. I thought oh, nice, his fiancée gets it and isn't doing the jealous thing. :blink::o:huh::huh::huh:

"Cupcake match" was hilarious, as was "I have 77 arguments I'm going to win that way (...) Now I have 78."

I'm surprised the writers repaired the Rosa/Boyle relationship somewhat and boiled the ickiness out of it; I'm also pleasantly surprised that Boyle actually apologized for his creepy behaviour. Good to see them getting along as friends.

I...missed that he was lying. I thought oh, nice, his fiancée gets it and isn't doing the jealous thing. :blink: :o:huh: :huh::huh:

Boyle's actually lied four times, five if you count a pretty significant lie by omission:

1. He never told Vivian that he was madly in love with Rosa up until he met and fell in love with Vivian.

2. He told Vivian that Rosa couldn't come to the wedding because she would be out of town the date of the wedding, but the truth was that he didn't want to invite her.

3. He told Rosa that Vivian was the one who was uncomfortable about Rosa attending the wedding and who thought it might be weird, but the truth was that it was Boyle who was uncomfortable.

4. He told Vivian that Rosa could come to the wedding after all, since her plans had changed, but the truth was that he changed his mind about letting Rosa attend the wedding.

5. He told Rosa that he had successfully persuaded Vivian to agree to Rosa attending, but the truth was that he changed his story with Vivian and told her that Rosa's plans had changed.

Pretty sure this is all going to blow up in his face, now that Rosa, thanks to her conversation with Vivian, is aware of all five of these lies. Now that I think about it, Rosa would have been even angrier at Boyle if she'd known that he didn't want to invite her, instead of assuming that it was Vivian who didn't want her there and Boyle had failed to stick up for Rosa and insist that she attend.

I can understand not wanting to tell Vivian about his previous crush on Rosa, but does he really think he can keep something like that a secret, especially when he's invited most of his coworkers to a wedding, where good-natured gibes about the couple's past romantic misadventures are a matter of course?

Overall good episode.

I wasn't that enamored by the cupcakes thing. I think Holt letting Gina be such a slacker is a bit weird. Last episode he let her just go off with Peralta and this time he doesn't care that much about her goofing off in plain sight.

With that out of the way, the Peralta-Amy stuff is a ship I find myself very interested in. I liked the whole dynamic surrounding that, as well as Peralta saving the day using Scully's signature move.

The Rosa-Boyle stuff was good, though I was a bit worried by the fact Boyle apparently lied. I hope that was more about Boyle avoided the awkwardness of the situation rather than Boyle still being infatuated with Rosa.

The Rosa-Boyle stuff was good, though I was a bit worried by the fact Boyle apparently lied. I hope that was more about Boyle avoided the awkwardness of the situation rather than Boyle still being infatuated with Rosa.

I guess so, but the plotline would have worked perfectly if the Vivian/Rosa scene had been excised: in fact, when I watched it, I expected the scene where Boyle bestows the invitation on Rosa to tie off that subplot. The only reason for the inclusion of the revelation that Boyle lied to both Rosa and Vivian to cover up the fact that he didn't want Rosa at the wedding and hasn't told Vivian about his past crush on Rosa is that these lies point towards something more significant than Boyle lying to minimize awkwardness, and that there will be drama down the road as a result. I do wonder if Rosa will be pissed at Boyle all over again, now that she realizes not only did he lie to her twice, but he also didn't want her at the wedding and only reconsidered when she told him how much it hurt her feelings not to be invited.

I guess so, but the plotline would have worked perfectly if the Vivian/Rosa scene had been excised: in fact, when I watched it, I expected the scene where Boyle bestows the invitation on Rosa to tie off that subplot

As a story element I didn't like it, but I liked the gag they put in with Rosa and Vivian.

Pretty sure this is all going to blow up in his face, now that Rosa, thanks to her conversation with Vivian, is aware of all five of these lies. Now that I think about it, Rosa would have been even angrier at Boyle if she'd known that he didn't want to invite her, instead of assuming that it was Vivian who didn't want her there and Boyle had failed to stick up for Rosa and insist that she attend.

I don't think that. The way Rosa defused the situation by acting crazy indicate that she has no intention of letting Vivian know about Boyle's lies. I believe she recognizes that Boyle is uncomfortable about the whole situation, and once she got the invite, she's not going to hold that over him.

Goody. I have a feeling this is one of those shows where we might look back at Season 1 and be all "I guess it wasn't bad, but it wasn't as awesome as the show got in Season 3, right?"

So happy it got renewed! I was worried about the recent ratings dip but the Golden Globe wins probably made this a lock. Also, I've read that the show is a favorite of at least one top Fox exec.

Archived