A Benjen Stark and Stannis Baratheon Rebellion

Lord Stunny

What would have happened if Lord Jon Arryn had sent king Aerys the heads of Robert Baratheon and Eddard Stark.. Would Lord Stannis and Lord Benjen join together and start a rebellion.. And how would it end.. Assuming Lord Tully declares for winterfell.. I think it would have being one heck of a rebellion.. Benjen Stannis rebellion.. What do you think

The Stormlords loyal to Robert would be pissed off, but they would not easily unite under Stannis. In their disorganised nature, the loyalist Stormlords and the Reach forces would crush them easily.

The North would be furious,enough to march to war but there is no way in seven hells that preteen Benjen would be even on the march much less the leader of it. Eventually political tensions between the powerful houses like Umber, Bolton, Mandrely and Dustin would take over as they all scramble to fill the power vaccuum. Roose would probably end up doing something similar to what he does in the books and sell them all out to Aerys and be awarded the Lord Paramountcy.

I can't think of any reason why Hoster Tully would hitch his star to that wagon.

• 2 weeks later...

There would still be a war but the rebels wouldn't be able to unite and it would be over much more quickly. As Toccs said, Benjen and Stannis would likely be betrayed by some of their own bannermen. Stannis can hold a castle like no other but he can't rally men in battle like Robert did. Hoster Tully would sit on his hands. The Targ dynasty would survive

Rhaegar might take action to prevent the extermination of several Great Houses though. Especially since Benjen was barely a teenager and was Lyanna's brother, and Stannis was also quite young.

I don't even think it would qualify as a war. You would have localized uprisings. But without the Vale or Riverlands and much of the Stormlands, I doubt the other Lords of the North and Stormlands see any wisdom in rising.

And without the political leader of the rebellion (Jon Arryn) I doubt they really even try.

Remember, the North didn't rise when Rickard and Brandon died, and they were much more important and recognized at the time than Ned. Ned and Robert were more known to the Vale than their homelands at the time.

I think what happens is the fuel for Rhaegar's takeover.

Edit: this is one of the reasons it really ought to be named Jon Arryn's Rebellion.

Edit: this is one of the reasons it really ought to be named Jon Arryn's Rebellion.

Well in fairness it was Rickard's scheming to unite the Stark, Arryn, Baratheon and Tullys that laid the groundwork for the rebellion, Jon Arryn was just the only member of the original conspiracy still alive when the rebellion started.

But early on they decided that Robert had the "best claim" to the throne and that was what they pressed, so it was Robert's Rebellion in the same way that the Blackfyre Rebellion isn't called Bittersteel and Fireball's Rebellion.

You underestimate Stannis Baratheon... He is a hard man who believes on justice.. I bet he doesn't even need Benjens Help, the guy could take over with the Stormlands alone....���

As evidenced by the fact that when Renly tried to jump Stannis in the succession line, all of the Stormlords sided with him :laugh: . The only person genuinely loyal to Stannis is Davos Seaworth and even he knows that it's a fools errand.

Well in fairness it was Rickard's scheming to unite the Stark, Arryn, Baratheon and Tullys that laid the groundwork for the rebellion, Jon Arryn was just the only member of the original conspiracy still alive when the rebellion started.

But early on they decided that Robert had the "best claim" to the throne and that was what they pressed, so it was Robert's Rebellion in the same way that the Blackfyre Rebellion isn't called Bittersteel and Fireball's Rebellion.

As evidenced by the fact that when Renly tried to jump Stannis in the succession line, all of the Stormlords sided with him :laugh: . The only person genuinely loyal to Stannis is Davos Seaworth and even he knows that it's a fools errand.

Apprently it was the Citadel's doing, not just Rickard Stark, Stafford Baratheon, or Jon Arryn.

But anyways Jon Arryn had the guts to stand against the Mad King, I doubt any other man will go as far as he did for his wards, specialy considering the Tully's weren't part of the alliance yet

Archived