Jaime Entry vs Barristan Entry in the Whitebook

Mithras

Ser Barristan Selmy entry in the White Book

Ser Barristan of House Selmy. Firstborn son of Ser Lyonel Selmy of Harvest Hall. Served as squire to Ser Manfred Swann. Named “the Bold” in his 10th year, when he donned borrowed armor to appear as a mystery knight in the tourney at Blackhaven, where he was defeated and unmasked by Duncan, Prince of Dragonflies. Knighted in his 16th year by King Aegon V Targaryen, after performing great feats of prowess as a mystery knight in the winter tourney at King’s Landing, defeating Prince Duncan the Small and Ser Duncan the Tall, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Slew Maelys the Monstrous, last of the Blackfyre Pretenders, in single combat during the War of the Ninepenny Kings. Defeated Lormelle Long Lance and Cedrik Storm, the Bastard of Bronzegate. Named to the Kingsguard in his 23rd year, by Lord Commander Ser Gerold Hightower. Defended the passage against all challengers in the tourney of the Silver Bridge. Victor in the mêlée at Maidenpool. Brought King Aerys II to safety during the Defiance of Duskendale, despite an arrow wound in the chest. Avenged the murder of his Sworn Brother, Ser Gwayne Gaunt. Rescued Lady Jeyne Swann and her septa from the Kingswood Brotherhood, defeating Simon Toyne and the Smiling Knight, and slaying the former. In the Oldtown tourney, defeated and unmasked the mystery knight Blackshield, revealing him as the Bastard of Uplands. Sole champion of Lord Steffon’s tourney at Storm’s End, whereat he unhorsed Lord Robert Baratheon, Prince Oberyn Martell, Lord Leyton Hightower, Lord Jon Connington, Lord Jason Mallister, and Prince Rhaegar Targaryen. Wounded by arrow, spear, and sword at the Battle of the Trident whilst fighting beside his Sworn Brothers and Rhaegar Prince of Dragonstone. Pardoned, and named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, by King Robert I Baratheon. Served in the honor guard that brought Lady Cersei of House Lannister to King’s Landing to wed King Robert. Led the attack on Old Wyk during Balon Greyjoy’s Rebellion. Champion of the tourney at King’s Landing, in his 57th year. Dismissed from service by King Joffrey I Baratheon in his 61st year, for reasons of advanced age.

Ser Jaime Lannister entry in the white book

Ser Jaime of House Lannister. Firstborn son of Lord Tywin and Lady Joanna of Casterly Rock. Served against the Kingswood Brotherhood as squire to Lord Sumner Crakehall. Knighted in his 15th year by Ser Arthur Dayne of the Kingsguard, for valor in the field. Chosen for the Kingsguard in his 15th year by King Aerys II Targaryen. During the Sack of King’s Landing, slew King Aerys II at the foot of the Iron Throne. Thereafter known as the “Kingslayer.” Pardoned for his crime by King Robert I Baratheon. Served in the honor guard that brought his sister the Lady Cersei Lannister to King’s Landing to wed King Robert. Champion in the tourney held at King’s Landing on the occasion of their wedding.

Jaime realizes what a giant loser he had been. Priceless...

After sending Brienne to the mission of securing Sansa, he writes these in his own page:

Defeated in the Whispering Wood by the Young Wolf Robb Stark during the War of the Five Kings. Held captive at Riverrun and ransomed for a promise unfuffilled. Captured again by the Brave Companions, and maimed at the word of Vargo Hoat their captain, losing his sword hand to the blade of Zollo the Fat. Returned safely to King’s Landing by Brienne, the Maid of Tarth.

Whats priceless was that Barristan actually bothered to write down his dismissal :lmao: . One of my favorite parts in the books.

couldn't agree more, for me that bit served to show how straight up and down and honourable Selmy is, while at the same time showing that Jaime, while seen as a great hero, is really just a young inexperienced pup.

Well, that's not exactly true. Jaime apparently fought in the Greyjoy rebellion as well, and had a load more tournament wins under his belt. Hightower really padded Barristan's page.

The real thing was that it shows how Barristan never really felt Jaime and his exploits 'belonged' in the Kingsguard and the White Book, and how it was now Jaime's turn to hold the power over his own legacy. It's probably the most power he'd ever directly taken for himself in his entire life.It makes him wonder just what will be written of him, by him.

Wounded by arrow, spear, and sword at the Battle of the Trident whilst fighting beside his Sworn Brothers and Rhaegar Prince of Dragonstone. Pardoned, and named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, by King Robert I Baratheon. Served in the honor guard that brought Lady Cersei of House Lannister to King’s Landing to wed King Robert. Led the attack on Old Wyk during Balon Greyjoy’s Rebellion. Champion of the tourney at King’s Landing, in his 57th year. Dismissed from service by King Joffrey I Baratheon in his 61st year, for reasons of advanced age.

This is the section that Barristan wrote about himself after he became Lord Commander, everything prior being Hightower. Really, after Robert was crowned, fifteen years of relative peace left him with little to write about himself, or perhaps he didn't consider himself or any of the current Kingsguard worthy of much in the way of renown.

The real point here is that Jaime's potential was no less than Barristan's. However, he wasted his potential pretty bad. This is the fact that Jaime realized while reading the white book. This was one of the most important points in his character development.

To me it showed that Barristan didn't like Jaime and/or spent too much time thinking on his past glories. But yes, it is unfair to compare them like that, and it's pretty funny that Barristan bothered to write his dismissal in.

Most of the text about Barristan is written by Gerold Hightower and/or whoever was Lord Commander of the Kingsguard before him.

If you compare what Barristan wrote about himself, when he was Lord Commander (a litte bit more than 4 lines) with what he wrote about Jaime Lannister (three lines), then there is not so much difference.

To me, it shows, that Barristan did not deem the whole kingsguard (including him) worthy of long entries after Robert's Rebellion.

To me it showed that Barristan didn't like Jaime and/or spent too much time thinking on his past glories. But yes, it is unfair to compare them like that, and it's pretty funny that Barristan bothered to write his dismissal in.

Barristan hated Jaime, that is no secret. But I dont think he spent his time thinking on his past glories. All his deed upto wounded by arrow... was written by Gerold Hightower. This only shows that Ser Grandfather had a giant pair of balls :bowdown:

Plus I dont think it is unfair to compare them. Jaime himself said that as a boy he wanted to be like Ser Arthur but somewhere in the road he became the Smiling Knight.

Both Barristan and Jaime were bold when they were young. They had the material of a champion. Barristan became a shining example and Jaime wasted himself.

Barristan writing his dismissal is hilarious :D

Barristan served under Gerold.

Most of the text about Barristan is written by Gerold Hightower and/or whoever was Lord Commander of the Kingsguard before him.

If you compare what Barristan wrote about himself, when he was Lord Commander (a litte bit more than 4 lines) with what he wrote about Jaime Lannister (three lines), then there is not so much difference.

To me, it shows, that Barristan did not deem the whole kingsguard (including him) worthy of long entries after Robert's Rebellion.

Barristan hated Jaime, that is no secret. But I dont think he spent his time thinking on his past glories. All his deed upto wounded by arrow... was written by Gerold Hightower. This only shows that Ser Grandfather had a giant pair of balls :bowdown:

Plus I dont think it is unfair to compare them. Jaime himself said that as a boy he wanted to be like Ser Arthur but somewhere in the road he became the Smiling Knight.

Both Barristan and Jaime were bold when they were young. They had the material of a champion. Barristan became a shining example and Jaime wasted himself.

Barristan writing his dismissal is hilarious :D

Barristan served under Gerold.

:dunce: Forgot about Gerold. What I mean is, it's unfair to compare the lengths. Barristan is twice Jaime's age and has been in multiple wars at this point. Sure Jaime has had his opportunities, but not as many as Barristan.

I don't really see whats funny about it. Jaime has been in the Kingsguard for twenty less years than Barristan. No wonder he has less accomplishments or things of note. Plus Hightower seemed to like Barristan while Barristan hated Jaime, so it's not too hard to think that Barristan wouldn't write a lot about him.

But Jaime's done several things since worthy of being noted in the book

-Rescued the maiden Brienne of Tarth from a bear and sellswords who were openly serving a rebel to the Throne

-Secured Riverrun for the Crown bloodlessly

-Secured Raventree Hall for the Crown bloodlessly

And I'm sure there are more to come.

Jaime comments on how things he has done were left out, but still does agree that his life is little in comparison to the great barristan the bold. This, coupled with Jaime talking about the death of the boy in him who wanted to be a great knight, really sums up his development for me. It is not bad to good, yet soilder to knight.

Archived