Jaime Entry vs Barristan Entry in the Whitebook

Mithras

Hmm I wonder why Barristan has more text written... oh and he himself worte most of it.

In the post-Rebellion part of the entry that Barristan wrote about himself, he lists a journey, the Greyjoy rebellion, one tourney and his own groundbreaking dismissal, not really an example of self-glorifying: Wounded by arrow, spear, and sword at the Battle of the Trident whilst fighting beside his Sworn Brothers and Rhaegar Prince of Dragonstone. Pardoned, and named Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, by King Robert I Baratheon. Served in the honor guard that brought Lady Cersei of House Lannister to King’s Landing to wed King Robert. Led the attack on Old Wyk during Balon Greyjoy’s Rebellion. Champion of the tourney at King’s Landing, in his 57th year. Dismissed from service by King Joffrey I Baratheon in his 61st year, for reasons of advanced age.

I have to echo the love for Barristan writing about his dismissal. What a great character detail. I just hope that one day the book ends up in the hands of someone who can note Jaime's feats of secretly fathering the queen's bastards and crippling the fearsome 7-year-old foe who might have revealed this to the king, as well as his valiant delivery of Riverrun to the Freys by means of threatening further child murder.

I wonder if Dunk would ask his Egg King to help him with the writing...

Why would you suppose that Ser Duncan was not taught reading and writing after his return from his travels with Egg? Maekar promised him training as a Knight, why would he not also see to his son's friend being trained in the other skill?

I don't really see whats funny about it. Jaime has been in the Kingsguard for twenty less years than Barristan. No wonder he has less accomplishments or things of note. Plus Hightower seemed to like Barristan while Barristan hated Jaime, so it's not too hard to think that Barristan wouldn't write a lot about him.

But Jaime's done several things since worthy of being noted in the book

-Rescued the maiden Brienne of Tarth from a bear and sellswords who were openly serving a rebel to the Throne

-Secured Riverrun for the Crown bloodlessly

-Secured Raventree Hall for the Crown bloodlessly

And I'm sure there are more to come.

If I am not mistaken, not much later than that chapter Jamie fills in some of the empty space regarding him and writes down that he has been rescued by Brienne of Tarth.

Securing Riverrun and Raventree Hall bloodlessly don't seem to me quite great accomplishment, since war was basically already won at that time.

Even if it is true Barristan has been a knight for a longer time, I believe that the purpose of such chapter and confrontation is exactly to show us that Jamie understands how little he has accomplished and how much he has grown less like Dayne and more like the smiling knight, though he admired the first. He himself knows that - beyond what is written in the book - he has acted in an knight-unlike manner for many years, something that no-one can say on Barristan Selmy or Arthur Dayne. And it is not a matter of time, if he wouldn't have come to this realization, he probably wouldn't ever tried to change it afterwards.. therefore he will try to become a great knight from this point onward, I believe by sacrificing his life for another king.. maybe Targaryen.

I believe that the purpose of such chapter and confrontation is exactly to show us that Jamie understands how little he has accomplished and how much he has grown less like Dayne and more like the smiling knight, though he admired the first. He himself knows that - beyond what is written in the book - he has acted in an knight-unlike manner for many years, something that no-one can say on Barristan Selmy or Arthur Dayne. And it is not a matter of time, if he wouldn't have come to this realization, he probably wouldn't ever tried to change it afterwards.. therefore he will try to become a great knight from this point onward, I believe by sacrificing his life for another king.. maybe Targaryen.

This.

Jaime's change is a process. It has certain milestones. He is becoming a true knight, trying to keep his oaths. His dream on the weirwood treestomp was very important. That made him realize unconsciously that his life (and also Brienne's life) depends on how long they can keep their oaths. Fail and die, keep your oaths and live.

Barristan writes his dismissal by King Joffery the Monster and his reinstatement by Queen Daenerys Targaryen, Stormborn, The Unburnt, Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains,Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms,Queen of Meereen and protector of the Realm

Its actually pretty good to be serving under Dany. With a train of titles like that, its pretty easy to fill four pages by just massaging her feet.

Barristan writing about his dismissal before leaving KL, while the Gold and Crimson cloaks are after him is the epitome of badassery. Jaime's "whatever he chose" moment, I agree is a pivotal moment in character development, but I have yet to see some positive deed from his side. So far he's still the same vile disappointing scumbag.

Barristan writing about his dismissal before leaving KL, while the Gold and Crimson cloaks are after him is the epitome of badassery. Jaime's "whatever he chose" moment, I agree is a pivotal moment in character development, but I have yet to see some positive deed from his side. So far he's still the same vile disappointing scumbag.

He gave Brienne a Valyrian Steel Sword and send her to find and protect Sansa. I think this is positive. Plus he tried his best to keep his word to Cat. All those threats he made to Edmure are just bullshit, I cant believe he can do those things anymore. He occasionally uses his old disappointing scumbag cloak but only for good purposes. This cloak is useful as long as people believe he is the old scumbag they know.

He gave Brienne a Valyrian Steel Sword and send her to find and protect Sansa. I think this is positive. Plus he tried his best to keep his word to Cat. All those threats he made to Edmure are just bullshit, I cant believe he can do those things anymore. He occasionally uses his old disappointing scumbag cloak but only for good purposes. This cloak is useful as long as people believe he is the old scumbag they know.

What is Honor - A Horse

I know that a fake Arya is going up North but I'll do nothing to stop it.

I feel no remorse at any oathbreaking or shoving a child out of the window.

And my children are just a squirt in CErsei's cunt, I can always make more!!

Let's not turn it into a Jaime hate thread, but I'd say that if his character is going to take a positive turn, I have yet to see something concrete Lamprey. :)

What is Honor - A Horse

I know that a fake Arya is going up North but I'll do nothing to stop it.

I feel no remorse at any oathbreaking or shoving a child out of the window.

And my children are just a squirt in CErsei's cunt, I can always make more!!

Let's not turn it into a Jaime hate thread, but I'd say that if his character is going to take a positive turn, I have yet to see something concrete Lamprey. :)

Rescuing Brienne? Bloodlessly resolving the conflict in the Riverlands? Sending Brienne to find Sansa?

The stuff you've said is true, but "a good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad the good."

Rescuing Brienne? Bloodlessly resolving the conflict in the Riverlands? Sending Brienne to find Sansa?

The stuff you've said is true, but "a good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad the good."

But still you can say you are sorry and ask for forgiveness.

Always thought Jaime did himself down, in sardonic mood, when writing his entry in the White Book (the passage straight after the one in the OP). He doesn't mention the battle of the Golden Tooth, for example, just that of the Whispering Wood. After his experiences with the Mummers etc, the memory, and the record of real victories seem to have left a bitter taste, and he preferred to mock himself.

Many points to whoever was trying to imagine the Kettleblack entry by the way!

I agree on that quote protar. Rescuing Brienne, while Steelshanks had been warned what would happen to him if he doesn't gets Jaime safe to KL, and jumping in the bear pit as 200 crossbowmen stood at his back. Riverlands had anyway surrendered, Blackfish would anyhow have escaped. I acknowledge sending Brienne to Sansa is actually a good deed. My point being that he may be on a redemption arc, but he has done nothing concrete so far for the good.

I guess it could be chalked up to different writing styles, but Hightower described more of Barristan's tournament victories than Barristan did of Jaime's. I don't know if that's because Barristan wasn't as much of a writer or what. Jaime kind of got short-changed in that regard. Unless we're supposed to know about some guy named the "Bastard of Uplands."

Archived