Jaime Entry vs Barristan Entry in the Whitebook

Mithras

Rescuing Brienne? Bloodlessly resolving the conflict in the Riverlands? Sending Brienne to find Sansa?

The stuff you've said is true, but "a good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad the good."

Rescuing Brienne is the one good thing Jaime has done. He can't get any credit for bloodlessly ending the conflict when he so gleefully participated in creating that conflict and making the Riverlands bleed after his brother got the blame for his attempted murder of Bran. Which is also the reason why Sansa has needed rescuing, since Jaime's decision to shag the queen under her father's roof led to the unravelling of the incest secret and the destruction of her family by his. Jaime is picking up some of the pieces, but how much credit does he really deserve for that when he was the one who smashed it apart in the first place? Brienne's return and their departure to "save Sansa" is the first time Jaime is actively doing something that's not prioritised as #1 Lannister interests, #2 Jaime's chances of getting to feel he's being good and honourable, and #3 trying not to further hurt his victims as long as it can be done while also ensuring they don't get justice or their property back. Jaime's reaction to Catelyn will be very telling. If the new and supposedly improved Jaime still continues his tradition of mocking his victims and complaining that he's been wronged when faced with something as unprecedented as an undead avenger, it'll show that his redemption is only skin deep. If he accepts Catelyn's judgement, it would mean that he would finally show a victim of his some respect and think about their losses and feelings instead of his own.

But I know this is a matter of perspective. Personally, I don't think there's any way to come back from the enormity of the selfish choices Jaime has made of his own free will, just as Aerys having an unexpected fit of remorse and devoting the rest of his life to meditation and charity wouldn't have made him a good man if he'd managed to burn King's Landing to the ground. Aerys couldn't have been a good man, and Jaime won't be a true knight. For Jaime, IMO, the question is how far he is going to accept responsibility for his choices and their consequences. He has to get away from his absurd Goldenhand the Just delusions and self-congratulation over how threatening Edmure's baby allowed him to deliver Catelyn's childhood home to her murderers without any more of her family being killed and mutilated.

I guess it could be chalked up to different writing styles, but Hightower described more of Barristan's tournament victories than Barristan did of Jaime's. I don't know if that's because Barristan wasn't as much of a writer or what. Jaime kind of got short-changed in that regard. Unless we're supposed to know about some guy named the "Bastard of Uplands."

Well, I wouldn't value tourneys either, though winning one as a 57 year old was definitely worth an entry. Maybe Jaime didn't particularly distinguish himself in the whole Greyjoy Rebellion thing, Robert was still roaring back then and would have swallowed the limelight.

Since then not a lot has happened that he should be proud of. I suppose he could write that he did a lot to help clean up the mess he helped to create in the Riverlands, though that won't mean much as an army of Wights rise from all the dead from the war and the famine that later claimed the rest.

am i the only one who thinks Barristan's last entry was actually "Champion of the tourney at King’s Landing, in his 57th year. Dismissed from service by King Joffrey I Baratheon in his 61st year, for reasons of advanced age."

i feel like winning the tourney is only there to put his 'advanced age' into perspective and is not something he would have written when it happened.

Whats priceless was that Barristan actually bothered to write down his dismissal :lmao: . One of my favorite parts in the books.

Loved it, but I also think this was the beginning of Jaime's redemption. He started to take a hard look at his life and it was about time. I have never hated and loved a character more. Hope he redeems himself by the end of the series.

I assume that both knights have won numerous tourneys that could have been added.

If Dany takes the throne again, Barristan can add some more stuff:

His reinstatement; defeating the Titan's Bastard, Mero, with a stick to protect the queen; sneaking into Meereen to launch a sneak attack, which leads to the fall of the city; slayed the pit fighter Khrazz while disposing of the corrupt King Hizdahr, and led the Queen's forces to break the siege on Meereen. (Assuming he surives, he could be adding more notches on his belt.)

I like Jaime, but it is impossible to compare the two's accomplishments. Barristan's badassery is out of everybody's league.

Barristan writes his dismissal by King Joffery the Monster and his reinstatement by Queen Daenerys Targaryen, Stormborn, The Unburnt, Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains,Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms,Queen of Meereen and protector of the Realm

"runs out of ink in a week"

I assume that both knights have won numerous tourneys that could have been added.

If Dany takes the throne again, Barristan can add some more stuff:

His reinstatement; defeating the Titan's Bastard, Mero, with a stick to protect the queen; sneaking into Meereen to launch a sneak attack, which leads to the fall of the city; slayed the pit fighter Khrazz while disposing of the corrupt King Hizdahr, and led the Queen's forces to break the siege on Meereen. (Assuming he surives, he could be adding more notches on his belt.)

I like Jaime, but it is impossible to compare the two's accomplishments. Barristan's badassery is out of everybody's league.

I wonder if the readers of the Whitebook would get just as bored with Essosi stuff as most of us do.

am i the only one who thinks Barristan's last entry was actually "Champion of the tourney at King’s Landing, in his 57th year. Dismissed from service by King Joffrey I Baratheon in his 61st year, for reasons of advanced age."

i feel like winning the tourney is only there to put his 'advanced age' into perspective and is not something he would have written when it happened.

Now that I think about it, I agree. Putting that in was Barristan's passive-aggressive way of subtly modifying the following sentence to read "Dismissed from service by King Joffrey I Baratheon in his 61st year, for reasons of COMPLETE BULLSHIT."

I'm soooo thinking this is what actually happened. He wanted to make sure all the sorry louts in all the future kingsguards know he was truly a badass, and Joffrey was just an ass. He did feel like the KG is in a sort of decline, so maybe it's also a kind of encouragement to everyone who will read the book in the future to show you can be in a tip-top shape and kick arse even when you are past 50. Age is only a number!

I think the passages serve 3 purposes.

1. Barristan lived up to his "bold" title by risking his life to go back to the office and take care of some paperwork.

2. It shows how far Jaime has to go to become "worthy" of being commander of the kingsguard, both in his mind and in ours. We see him take small steps towards being someone who could be considered a true knight in his previous chapters. I think this is GRRM's way of showing us how long of a journey this could be.

3. There are few wholly fairy tale characters in these books and I think barristan is as close as we get. These passages show the type of immense pressure that would be applied to a truely human character if they had to live in a world with the fairy tale ideal as a predecessor.

We all know of how Robert loved to feast and hold tournaments, and yet Jaime only won one of them ?

He won plenty of others, but the wedding tourney was the only one Barristan bothered to record. In general, it seems Barristan considered tourney victories less important than Gerold Hightower did.

He won plenty of others, but the wedding tourney was the only one Barristan bothered to record. In general, it seems Barristan considered tourney victories less important than Gerold Hightower did.

Well, maybe, just maybe, that's because in Jaehaerys's II and Aerys's II times tourney's were an exeptional and important matter, while during Robert's reign, there was a tourney every month, therefore diminishing the importance of winning one... just saying :dunno:

The one that Cersei used for her Margaerye scheme is Osney, who was simply Tommen's sworn shield. Osmund is the one in the Kingsguard.

Oh, right. I was wondering if I got the right brother. Damn them Kettleblacks and their overly familiar and unmemorable personalities.

Archived