2.0 New TWOW Sample Chapter to be Released 10/29

Stark Revenge

It's kind of funny how Vic is eager to fight a battle against overwhelming odds, whilst Barristan sees the ground war as dire, and Tyrion et al see the ground war as dire for their side. I guess nobody knows how this battle will turn out.

Well, in Victarion's religion dying in battle how is you get to Heaven (The Drowned God's Hall), so there's really no downside for him here. :)

It's kind of funny how Vic is eager to fight a battle against overwhelming odds, whilst Barristan sees the ground war as dire, and Tyrion et al see the ground war as dire for their side. I guess nobody knows how this battle will turn out.

Well no one expects the Ironborn to show up so Victarion is a X factor with a huge element of surprise. And he also feels beyond mortal with his new fire hand and also having two powerful Gods on his side.

Barristan doesn't know that Victarion is going to join the fight. His queen is gone and he can't know whether the dragons would fight or not.

Victarion thinks he will be adding his forces to Dany's dragons and armies. It makes sense that Vic would be more confident. Plus, this is the guy that wears plate armor on his ship without fear of drowning.

Barristan doesn't know that Victarion is going to join the fight. His queen is gone and he can't know whether the dragons would fight or not.

Victarion thinks he will be adding his forces to Dany's dragons and armies. It makes sense that Vic would be more confident. Plus, this is the guy that wears plate armor on his ship without fear of drowning.

I doubt Victarion will be as deluded as Quentyn....but the horn may not do what he thinks it will. The big question is...will GRRM kill both the Martell and the Greyjoy storylines in Slaver's Bay?

I read the sample chapter. One thing I found interesting was the suggestion that Barristan seems to think the Tattered Prince is his greatest hope in this desperate hour. This of course is a reference to the mission he gave the two Dornishmen.

As far as I can tell, Tatters has yet to show up in any of the sample chapters.

I doubt Victarion will be as deluded as Quentyn....but the horn may not do what he thinks it will. The big question is...will GRRM kill both the Martell and the Greyjoy storylines in Slaver's Bay?

Although I don't see him surving the series I can't see him dying in the battle as it would just be similar to Quentyn = big build up, finaly get their, die sudenly by dragon.

Plus it would be a massive let never down to have had a scene with both Tyrion and Victarion.

Although I don't see him surving the series I can't see him dying in the battle as it would just be similar to Quentyn = big build up, finaly get their, die sudenly by dragon.

By that argument, Vic is doomed.

Because of course, Quentyn remains alive. Prince Tatters died on Dany's bed. I'm guessing Quentyn will be briefly seen riding Viserion, with a tattered cloak trailing behind him, and it is by this means that the Dornishmen will turn the Windblown to Barristan's cause.

I am interested in this. Could you elaborate on this more?

By that argument, Vic is doomed.

Because of course, Quentyn remains alive. Prince Tatters died on Dany's bed. I'm guessing Quentyn will be briefly seen riding Viserion, with a tattered cloak trailing behind him, and it is by this means that the Dornishmen will turn the Windblown to Barristan's cause.

I am interested in this. Could you elaborate on this more?

Quentyn looks ordinary and non-descript. On the one hand he dreams of blood and fire. On the other hand he is timid and terrified of burning.

"The Tattered Prince", the otherwise-anonymous and nondescript commander of the Windlbown, is known for his distinctive tattered cloak, when he rides high in the saddle.

Quentyn approaches Tatters to help him steal dragons. Tatters pretends to agree. Tatters makes the almost gratuitous remark that he looks ordinary and non-descript, so that all he need do is take off his tattered cloak in order to move around incognito.

A party of 9 sets off to steal the dragons. They are ALL dressed in identical Bronze Beast outfits. The party includes 4 tall or otherwise distinctive looking persons (Meris, Caggo, Archie & Gerris) and 5 non-descript persons (Quentyn and 4 anonymous non-descript Windblown). When asked where Tatters is, Meris says he is preparing the ship that will transport the stolen dragons.

They meet the dragons. Viserion roars in the general direction of the Windblown, and then eats a crossbowman who shoots him. Quentyn is totally focused on Viserion and confronts and cows him. Then Rhaegal roars at Quentyn. Quentyn (belatedly) realizes he is on fire, then panics and starts screaming. Chapter ends.

Guards arrive and find Archie, Gerris, a dead crossbowman, and a non-descript man in a Bronze Beast outfit (still living but burnt beyond recognition) who responds (probably "gurgle-snurgle" or the like) when addressed as "Prince". One of the Dornishmen is found standing over him with a sword, and the other found cradling his head (probably arguing about whether to kill the bastard who betrayed them by attacking the dragons). Gerris immediately drops his sword when the guards arrive, and Archie & Gerris are apparently willing to allow the guards to assume Burnt-Guy is Quentyn.

The dragons, and the rest of the Windblown, are gone. So is Quentyn, unless Non-Descript Burnt Guy is he.

Archie & Gerris are thrown in prison, and Prince Burnt-Guy is left to die on Dany's bed over the next 3 days.

Viserion takes up residence in a pyramid, which is completely abandoned in panic by its former inhabitants. If Quentyn is with Viserion, he has an entire pyramid all to himself.

Barristan comes to the Dornishmen to announce Quentyn's death. Gerris (the mummer of the party, established as incapable of genuine grief) makes a huge show of grief, while Archie remains silent. Barristan wants to send them on a mission to speak to the Tattered Prince. Archie goes: er, um, can I talk to Gerris alone about this? Gerris says: We'll do it; Archie does not know it yet ... but he will. It is evident they both know something that they do not want to discuss in front of Barristan.

In the new Barristan I chapter, Barristan mentions his desperate hope that the Dornishmen's mission to Tatters will succeed. (But Tatters is already dead. He died on Dany's bed.)

Quentyn....

Thx. This is either brilliance or lunacy (they're not so far apart!). Now I have to re-read those chapters again, dammit!

"What is dead may never die..."

I fear this is another Hound, Jon, Beric, LS, Mountain, Benjen, Aegon, etc....end-around.

If only it was true for Drogo.....Jason Momoa would be so happy!

You didn't offend anyone. Once the initial sales of the paperback are booked and profits recorded, the chapter will appear. It's a slimy marketing technique that penalizes (takes advantage of) the fans who have read the hardback/ebook years ago and are anxiously awaiting new stuff. Any magnanimous, story-loving, profit-be-damned fan would try to do exactly as you stated, .

I'm offended when people promote thievery and piracy as something other than criminal actions.

Yes. It seems out there. Although Quent didn't actually die in his own POV... (but close)

The biggest question mark for me in the theory is that I don't really understand how the tattered prince and Quent could be switched.

But Barristan's last chapter in aDwD begins with the sentence

The Dornish prince was three days dying.

And the tattered prince wasn't present during the attempt to steal the dragons. So when would he be burned? And how would Quentyn have healed from his wounds. From his chapter we know he's on fire...

So I don't see much potential for this theory...

Archived