Aegon: Real or Fake?

Lord Puff Fish

My pet theory: He's fake, but he has Targayren blood. He is a bastard, maybe Aerys's, maybe Rhaegar's, maybe he has several Targayren ancestors, his father being Rhaegar, his grandfather being Jaehaerys II and his great-grandfather Duncan, Prince of the Dragonflies, or something like that.

The Targayren never stopped practicing the First Night in Dragonstone, boinking all girls and seeding the island with their bastards; and if one of those bastards happened to be valyrian-looking, that would increase the chances of her catching the eye of another Targayren who would impregnate her.

If Varys knew of a child like that, with Targayren features and a lot of Targayren blood, and who would probably look a lot like Rhaegar and Aerys when he grew, then his gambit would become a lot more plausible than FAegon not being closely related to Rhaegar and Jon Connington not noticing that he doesn't look at all like him.

My personal ranking of theories regarding Young Griff's identity. I sorted them based on my personal preference (high to low) and not necessarily probability.

1. He's a Blackfyre descendent (through his mother) as well as Illyrio's son with his late wife Serra

2. He is just Illyrio and Serra's son. Varys and Illyrio are playing a bluff on the Targaryen loyalists (JonCon) as well as a double bluff on the Blackfyre ones (Golden Company)

3. He's a random kid that Varys and Illyrio chose for their little Pygmalion game

4. He is the real deal: the son of Rhaegar and Elia (crackpot edition: son of Elia and Arthur Dayne)

5. He is Ashara Dayne/Septa Lemore's son

I don't like the last two at all and don't consider them likely but I can't completely rule them out so I am leaving them on my list.

Until proven otherwise, I refuse to believe that Varys himself has any secret identity. I think he works best as a character without any ties or family connections. That would mean that while Illyrio and Varys share the same end goal (put Young Griff on the IT), their motivations for wanting that to happen could be very different.

I agree that Aegon is a fake. However, I think it is REALLY bad writing for Martin to introduce a "dead Targaryen" at the end of his fifth novel. There is absolutely no interest in, sympathty for, or connection to this character. Readers have invested years in the storylines of Jon, Dany, and Tyrion. Now Martin throws us a "dead 15-year-old baby"? Wow! That's almost as lame a storyline as Tyrion's was in ADWD. So PAINFUL reading THOSE chapters. George....you need a new muse or a new editor. Plot and characterization are SERIOUSLY deteriorating. To quote James Brown, "Get on offa that thing."

Young Griff is not exactly a new character we are supposed to get attached and root for. More than anything he is a plot device to explain motivations of a major character (Varys) that we know has been hatching something from the very beginning but so far didn't know what. I think he's also there to cause "moral conflict" for Danny and to show what she's really made of.

That said, I think YG"s story could be incredibly tragic and sad. He could be real but killed by his only living kin in a meaningless power struggle. Or he can find out that he's fake and has been lied to and ruthlessly exploited by others for their own benefit.

Daemon Blackfyre was the rightful heir by every law of Westeros.

And you know it's true.

I think that's a point that's often missed. Blackfyre supporters don't see themselves as usurpers, but as the true kings of Westeros who've been in exile for a hundred years. To them Daeron II and all his decedents, including Aegon the unlikely, and Jahaerys, and Aerys, and Rhaegar, and all the rest, are fake.

I'm not sure if fAegon is a Blackfyre, although I do think that's the most likely, but I don't buy the Pisswater Price story, and I don't think a man as clever as Varys could expect anyone to honestly believe it either.

Yes Viserys and Dany were making fools of themselves running around the Free Cities begging for money, but they were visible the whole time, and no one could make a reasonable claim that they were not who they say they are. They have legitimacy.

But, as readers have been complaining about for four years now, this kid comes out of nowhere and says he's a baby that everyone knows is dead. I see that technically it doesn't matter he wins, and the lords of the seven kingdoms are more than capable of cynically latching on the this excuse to get rid of the Barannisters, but few of them have any reason to honestly believe it. They have JonCon's word, and he seems to believe it, but he has his own reasons to hate the new dynasty, and there's the matter of those five or so years that even he isn't there to vouch for it.

My argument is basically; if Varys and Ilyrio had the real baby Aegon they would have proceeded this way, they would have made sure his legitimacy was without question. Yes he's physically safer being hidden away, but there plan isn't to keep him safe, it's to get him on he Iron Throne.

And make no mistake, if he does succeed, this question with haunt him, and his children, and his children's children FOREVER. It will always be there as an excuse for pretenders, over mighty lords, and the plain old disgruntled. It hardly seems worth it. Unless he's fake, in which case it makes perfect sense.

I believe Aegon is not who he is been told, but he believes it so he is true in who is, I also beliee the blackfyres were the true kings, for my money is Daeron was a bastard, and by right of his blood, he is of a more senior branch of the Targaryens and the true heir to Baelor.

I think whether he's real or fake probably won't matter. I think it's pretty late in the game to be introducing a major character so my guess is he will be short lived. Just a guess of course.

A very good guess. I think that is the major beef people have with his character. We know that we are reading fiction about Danny, Jon, Tyrion etc. so he feels like an obstacle in the way that will eventually be dealt with so what is the point of caring about him? Kinda same why most people can't really get into the Meereene's blot when we know that Danny will leave the place sooner or later and most probably won't ever come back there.

For the books I think he's real

Fake, to quote myself:

Some of the evidences:

Quaithe's prophecy.

where is written Aegon is the sun's son and quentyn is the mummer's dragon? yet actually it could also be the other way around.

'It's quentyn who claims to have blood of the dragon, and Aegon emphasises that he's the son Elia MARTELL

Then why Elia was with Aegon and not Rhaenys?

Or Elia told her to hide, which is more likely and Elia stayed with her son.

I 'm answering these two post Together:

How about Elia knew of Varys Plan and did't want to threaten the escape

I vote he is real, a legitimate Targaryen heir

like I said me too

Yes, of course. But many families who live at Dorne or in other cities of the East have Valyrian's typical characteristics as silver hair. So he is certainly a fake.

You had said that Aegon should have dark hair like his mother. In A Coat of Gold was responding to that. While Rhaenys did take after her mother with dark hair and coloring, Aegon looked more like his father Rhaegar.

Other people having Valyrian coloring is not proof that anyone is fake.

According to Varys, baby Aegon was swapped out with a child who had similar features, and was smuggled to safety in Essos where he was raised to be the best king every. Whether Varys was lying or telling the truth is a matter of debate. There's at least a 50% chance that Aegon is in fact Rhaegar and Elia's son.

The main criticism of Varys' story is that people think a baby swap like that wouldn't work. Well, why not? Jon managed to swap two babies who as far as we know didn't even look alike and the only people who noticed were Gilly, Val (maybe) and Aemon. If Jon could pull it off, why couldn't Varys?

Archived