Just what the hell is Qyburn up to?

That Demon Monkey

(This is just for speculation. I am halfway with ADWD so if it does get revealed later, please don't tell me.)

At this stage I am imagining a Westerosi version of Dr Frankenstein down in the dungeons, pulling people apart and draining blood from women to put together some super zombie-knight or something.

Probably using the body of Ser Gregor, or rebuilding Gregor, even more powerful. I have never actually thought he is dead.

He does mention he has a champion who is unbeatable.

Well, he was expelled from the Citadel for inquiring into the mysteries of life and death...

But if that's what's going on it isn't really Gregor anymore, unless Qyburn got that monstrously big skull from somewhere else.

Maybe from a giant? Giant skulls aren't super rare are they? Especially not up North.

Going by how Jon reacts to seeing one for the first time I think it's safe to say that the fact that they aren't super rare North of the Wall probably isn't common knowledge south of it. Even if it was it would be a pretty tall order for Qyburn to get hold of a giant skull for that purpose.

Also, there's this from waaay back in AGOT:

One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

(AGOT, Bran III)

Going by how Jon reacts to seeing one for the first time I think it's safe to say that the fact that they aren't super rare North of the Wall probably isn't common knowledge south of it. Even if it was it would be a pretty tall order for Qyburn to get hold of a giant skull for that purpose.

Also, there's this from waaay back in AGOT:

So he basically did make a zombie giant knight??

I was just speculating.

So he basically did make a zombie giant knight??

I was just speculating.

From what we know, namely that:

- Qyburn was expelled from the Citadel for necromancy,

- He has Gregor's body

- He keeps requesting live women for the Black Cells

- He promises Cersei an invincible, silent champion

- He requests a suit of armour no man could move in

it would appear to be an almost unassailable conclusion.

He's basically the Umbrella Corporation of King's Landing at this point, condensed into one man. He seems to be making a GRRM version of the Tyrant -- or perhaps Nemesis would be a better comparison? But to drop the vidya references, I would say that Dr. Frankenstein comparison really isn't far off at all, and I hope it's something that really gets more light thrown over it in the books to come. It's his request for women that really don't make much sense to me. Or maybe I don't want it to make sense because it'll creep me out even more.

Qyburn just created a zombie super soldier for cersei. however, i wonder whether it would be easy for an accomplished skinchanger like bran to easily warg into ungregor, considering there probably isn't much left of his brain. in fact i think it wouldn't even take a great skinchanger to do that.

But qyburn is far from done. what if he replaces the kings guard with a group of undead super soldiers?

• 5 months later...

Qyburn just created a zombie super soldier for cersei. however, i wonder whether it would be easy for an accomplished skinchanger like bran to easily warg into ungregor, considering there probably isn't much left of his brain.

He has to be able to think well enough to fight, or Cersei will be guilty and killed before her children all die. Maggie the Frog said she would live to see all 3 "crowned and shrouded in gold."

• 4 weeks later...

As for big skulls, weren't some of the dwarf skulls brought to Cersie over sized? I can't help but wonder if on of those made it's way to Dorne.

Qyburn has given Cersie a way to disappear people who she has decided are annoying to her. A match made in seven hells.

As for big skulls, weren't some of the dwarf skulls brought to Cersie over sized? I can't help but wonder if on of those made it's way to Dorne.

I don't think that he could just pass of a dwarf skull as The Mountain that Rides'. The shape of a dwarf's skull is very distinct and would easily be pointed out as such.

I don't think that he could just pass of a dwarf skull as The Mountain that Rides'. The shape of a dwarf's skull is very distinct and would easily be pointed out as such.

I've been wondering about that so you could be right. Still, I do wonder if it really was Gregor's skull that went to Dorne as Qyburn isn't exactly trustworthy.

Will be interesting to find out what's inside Ser Robert Strong's helmet.

Archived