Who was Rickard Stark's wife?

ladytiger

My apologies if this thread is posted a lot on here, but I've been wondering who Rickard Stark's wife/NedBenjenBrandonLyanna's mother is...GRRM never tells us who she is, yet we are given details ad nauseam about Cat's mother, Cersei/Jaime/Tyrion's mother, the Frey family tree, the Targ family tree, Tyrells, Martells, Balon's wife, etc. yet we know nothing about "Lady Stark." All GRRM has ever said about her in interviews is that her name is Lady Stark and that she died. I just think--especially given GRRM's terse response--is that there's something more about this mysterious 'Lady Stark' that we literally know nothing about. Is it possible that she was Skagosi? Secret Targ? Wildling? Other? a Hodor?

Might have been a Ryswell, if that "half a horse herself" line about Lyanna can be taken literally. Especially given its in relation to Domeric Bolton, who was half-Ryswell himself

wouldnt that make barbrey dustin a relative of the starks, probably a cousin or something, you thought that would come up in aDwD, plus she wanted to marry her cousin, which i guess is sort of okay by medieval standards, but still.

I think its not been mentioned yet, because its not of great importance, probably just someone from one of the stark bannermen, unless rickard made the match for himself, as the north didnt really bother the south much before he came along. If she was skagosi, it would've been mentioned, people are always reminding the stark children of that flint of the mountains great grandmother they had, so you'd think a skagosi grandmother would've come up by now

wouldnt that make barbrey dustin a relative of the starks, probably a cousin or something, you thought that would come up in aDwD, plus she wanted to marry her cousin, which i guess is sort of okay by medieval standards, but still.

I think its not been mentioned yet, because its not of great importance, probably just someone from one of the stark bannermen, unless rickard made the match for himself, as the north didnt really bother the south much before he came along. If she was skagosi, it would've been mentioned, people are always reminding the stark children of that flint of the mountains great grandmother they had, so you'd think a skagosi grandmother would've come up by now

Look Northerners are just a lot more polite than those gossips you see elsewhere. The fact that Lord Rickard married a savage is his business, no need to talk about it to everyone and everything. Just say her mother was a Liddle and leave it at that.

She was half Flint from the mountain clans. So the question is, which noble House would be willing to marry their eldest son to a Mountain Flint (who are seen as savages themselves by most Northern Houses, and who southern lords like Stannis don't even know exists), while at the same time being prominent enough to marry their granddaughter to the Lord of Winterfell?

That will be a rather short list of Houses. It almost certainly excludes all southern Houses.

Tysha?

Seriously, there are a few possibilities. Either GRRM is honestly not interested and her being a nonentity is just fine. Or she comes from some known house and is somehow tainted--by bastardy or by being from an objectionable house or place (like Skagos). Or there is something significant in her origins which GRRM will reveal when it suits him. As much as I'd like something that intriguing, I suspect that the first possibility is likeliest and "Lady Stark" will just have to do. I do hope she's at least not a secret Targ; I'm sick of secret Targs.

Yeah what's up with Ned's mom? I mean, why do I know who Jon Cupps is, or who's lady whatsherface's youngest second cousin's brother in law by 3rd marriage bastard son's stable boy is, and NOT know who Ned's mom is??

Did he have a brain fart while writing the main appendix and forgot to mention her?

WHY is this a secret?

Tysha?

Seriously, there are a few possibilities. Either GRRM is honestly not interested and her being a nonentity is just fine. Or she comes from some known house and is somehow tainted--by bastardy or by being from an objectionable house or place (like Skagos). Or there is something significant in her origins which GRRM will reveal when it suits him. As much as I'd like something that intriguing, I suspect that the first possibility is likeliest and "Lady Stark" will just have to do. I do hope she's at least not a secret Targ; I'm sick of secret Targs.

If Rickards wife is of significance, I would consider bad writting. I like to think she is just not important.

Everybody in Stark family knows who Lady Stark. Her name, house name, when she died and how she died.

Its not a secret for most people in the world and there no reason that something which is widely knowmn in the world is not by the readers.

If at the end of the book we read "by the way, Sansa´s grandmother is a Targ, so she has a claim to the iron trhone", I would hate it.

So IO think she is just not important for the series. I will belive she is just a commoner Rickard merried for love

Archived