NFL Week 9 Schia-NOOOOOOOOO!

Jace, Extat

There's also probably some of that - I'll just suck up to Richie Incognito and support all his douchery so I won't be the target of his bullying.

That's what I did in school, try to charm the crazy violent guy so I won't be his next victim

It's a mentality these guys are taught from Pop Warner: follow the leader.

I played football sporadically up until junior high, at which point we moved to a small town that had no football team. The last team I played for I reconnected with a kid who had been my best friend when we were 5-7. He had been big then but was a gentle giant. I remember having to spend several hours consoling him because we watched a squirrel get run over. He was a total softy.

When we met up again for those several months before my family inevitably moved somewhere else, he was an enormous prick. It had only been 5 years but he was like your stereotypical 80s movie bully sidekick, being a complete dick to everyone because his buddy (the "star" of the defense) was a sociopath who enjoyed that sort of stuff and he would do anything to impress that asshole.

I can't imagine my example is a rare thing.

I've heard a lot of former players talk about how there's always that one legitimately unhinged guy on a team that was intimidating even to his teammates and that you kinda steered clear from.

The Dolphins were the only organization stupid enough to make this guy the defacto team leader.

I remember him. Used to be a 49er. I think his career was one protracted roid rage.

Yeah, he was messed up in what would seem to be a lot of ways - spitting at players, kicking them, helmet to helmet hits and his pinnacle, crushing a teammates eye socket,

On the Whitner thing, I'd point out that Martin came up under Harbaugh at Stanford, with a similar culture.

This whole thing is frustrating, fuck Richie Incognito and fuck the Dolphins.

As a person who mainly as a fan the stories stated of Rookies carrying pads and buying dinner are very common. Their is a presentation that these actions are one to help in team building and as sort of "paying dues". If their is some naviete in that if say paying alot for dinner since you sign a contract if it excessive that will be the last time he will need to do it. Also that down the line their will something to offset that one time hit.

A profession where the average player is a more well off individual financelly for playing a game. The picking up of a tab is a small tax or toll to pay. If I am in a profession of potential multi-multi millions than having to pick up a 10K tab is being welcome bein welcomed in to that world.

All that stated, a culture change could be on the order. Rookies are being expected to play key roles or be a starter if you were drafted late or even an undrafted Free Agent. Getting rid this fraternal action time has come.

I can't imagine my example is a rare thing.

In my experience it's not a rare thing at all. I played Pop Warner, Junior High and High School football, and I'd say this is the pervasive, overriding attitude. The sad thing is it is usually promoted by the coaching staff and the parents. Seems to go hand in hand with the game on just about every level of organized football.

Archived