Targaryen succession story

afd-bsd

In the first Jon's chapter in the book Mormont tells a story about Targaryen succession involving Aemon and how close he was to become a king. When reading, something was not right for me and when I found out what it was, it bugged me so much that I decided to create an account and write about it here. So, as the story goes Maekar, Aemon's father, was the fourth son of Daeron the king. The first son died on a tournament, his sons and his father Daeron died during a plague. The crown belonged then to second son, Aerys I, who ruled for 10-12 years and died childless. Then all of a sudden Mormont says that the next one in succession was the fourth son of Daeron, Maekar, who was Aemon's father. Well, what about the third son of Daeron? I was thinking I was wrong for a while but it seems it is a mistake in a book or he wasn't mentioned for reasons unknown to me. So here comes my question: who was this third son? Is there any other mention of him in the books? I know he is some less than minor character for the books' plot, but my curiosity is too big.

Yeah, I try to avoid them when I can, because of them I accidentaly found out that

Renly was killed.

Pretty unpleasant. And don't even get me started about that

Red Wedding

thing, it's all over the internet now. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Archived