Stannis as Azor Ahai/TPTWP

Barristan the G.O.A.T

Just out of curiosity how many of you actually think that Stannis is Azor Ahai/TPTWP and if so why?

I believe it is a far more likely eventuality than the assumed theories. If not just for the kicker that after all this time that we have been led to believe that Stannis was not AAR, with Jon mentioning that Stannis was born at SE and not on Dragonstone, with Aemon feeling no heat from Lightbringer, despite "some stories claim it should be hot", Beric's sword-burning-after-touching-his-blood dinner trick, Jon's dream of fighting the others with a red sword, Aemon thinking that TPTWP can also be a female, and Saan's "burnt sword, not burning" comment;

the part that is usually missed lies in the actual wording of the prophesy IMHO:

There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him.

In my opinion, AAR is not some hero that people need to wait for and he will defeat the others by being awesome. He will choose to take the responsibility and will actually work towrds getting stuff done in a realistic manner. Thus, becoming AAR.

Stannis doubted it is him all along, but:

“Edric—” he started.

“—is one boy! He may be the best boy who ever drew breath and it would not matter. My duty is to the realm.” His hand swept across the Painted Table. “How many boys dwell in Westeros? How many girls? How many men, how many women? The darkness will devour them all, she says. The night that never ends. She talks of prophecies . . . a hero reborn in the sea, living dragons hatched from dead stone . . . she speaks of signs and swears they point to me. I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her?

It has not stoped him from trying to save the world anyway. Considering that he has done more than anyone else so far, it would be sorta lame if Dany simply shows up with dragons and finishes the whole thing in 5 minutes. There were dragons before IIRC, so, not realy a guarantee.

SNIP

While I think it's probably going to be Jon (if we have to have a hero), Dany or even possibly Davos.

But there's a concept I've always liked in Morrowind similar to what your suggesting. There they have a legendary figure called the Nevarine. The Nevarine isn't reborn. Rather if someone is brave enough by the walking the same path the Nevarine did they become worthy of his legacy and title.

Something like this is how I imagine Stannis would become AAR if he was.

Or the other thing I could see is Stannis being the official AAR in history and for stability of the Kingdom, with someone like Jon actually being the last hero/AAR/PTWP.

I think its pretty clear (to us readers) that he's NOT the prophecized AAR... It's part of the reason I really want him to succeed -- there's real risk of failure, not just paving the way for ~The Hero. AAR/TPTWP or not, he should be able to accomplish just as much as the Chosen One.

I believe it is a far more likely eventuality than the assumed theories. If not just for the kicker that after all this time that we have been led to believe that Stannis was not AAR, with Jon mentioning that Stannis was born at SE and not on Dragonstone, with Aemon feeling no heat from Lightbringer, despite "some stories claim it should be hot", Beric's sword-burning-after-touching-his-blood dinner trick, Jon's dream of fighting the others with a red sword, Aemon thinking that TPTWP can also be a female, and Saan's "burnt sword, not burning" comment;

the part that is usually missed lies in the actual wording of the prophesy IMHO:

There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him.

In my opinion, AAR is not some hero that people need to wait for and he will defeat the others by being awesome. He will choose to take the responsibility and will actually work towrds getting stuff done in a realistic manner. Thus, becoming AAR.

Stannis doubted it is him all along, but:

Edric he started.

is one boy! He may be the best boy who ever drew breath and it would not matter. My duty is to the realm. His hand swept across the Painted Table. How many boys dwell in Westeros? How many girls? How many men, how many women? The darkness will devour them all, she says. The night that never ends. She talks of prophecies . . . a hero reborn in the sea, living dragons hatched from dead stone . . . she speaks of signs and swears they point to me. I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her?

It has not stoped him from trying to save the world anyway. Considering that he has done more than anyone else so far, it would be sorta lame if Dany simply shows up with dragons and finishes the whole thing in 5 minutes. There were dragons before IIRC, so, not realy a guarantee.

My reason to believe that Stannis is Azor Ahai is exactly this. He is aware of the danger and he is using whatever resources he has to prepare for it. GRRM does not like the aspect of a chosen one who will turn up and instantenously save the day, with Stannis' own words: "Robert would march to the gates of Winterfell, break the gates with his warhammer and slay Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert." He admits that he is not some sort of a Chosen hero which is why he will be the hero.

I dont think Stannis hold any of these titles, since he doesnt need em to sit on the IT. The Story of Fire and Ice is probably not about who will sit on the throne at the end. + heroes dies, it is known. ;)

Let the Heros do the dying and the Stannis do the ruling.

All the posts above have good points. It's not so much important who AAR really is. Stannis is the one whose contribution to the final victory is going to be most solid. If he happens to be AAR in addition, well, let him be.

I dont think Stannis hold any of these titles, since he doesnt need em to sit on the IT. The Story of Fire and Ice is probably not about who will sit on the throne at the end. + heroes dies, it is known. ;)

Let the Heros do the dying and the Stannis do the ruling.

:bowdown:

I just stumbled across a nifty TPTWP clue. In ASoS Jon 9: "a gust of wind sent icy tendrils wending through his long brown hair." For some reason tendrils caught my attention - seemed odd and I read it a few times over, then wrote it off. In Jon's next chapter, this comes: "the skin was full of mead, but a mead so potent that it made Jon's eyes water and sent tendrils of fire snaking through his chest." This, immediately on the heels of Tormund speaking of how Mance will surely make a song of Mag and Donal Noye. His is the song of ice and fire, anyone? Not that he wasn't already a prime candidate but I seriously question if this is a cheeky hint from GRRM.

I was listening to a pod cast today (Behind the Iron Throne) and one of the guys on there made an interesting point that Davos Seaworth could be AA. As his POV in SOS during the Blackwater battle everything is burning and SMOKING from the wildfire and the chapter ended with him being dragged out to sea by the current, taking a big gulp of SALT water, and seemingly being dead Then his next chapter he is on his little rock island. They also made a point about how it would be a perfect GRRM set up to have Davos right in front of us with while other major characters are given the most attention so if it does turn out to be Davos everyone will say "why didnt i think of that"

Thought it was interesting and thought i would throw it out there. I never heard anyone mention it before.

All Hail Stannis of House Baratheon, First of his Name, King of the Andals, the Roynar and the First Men, Azor Ahai Reborn, The Three Heads of the Dragon, The Prince that was Promised, Father of Shadow Assassins, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.

Now that I have your attention, may I take the time to tell you more about Stannis?

I just stumbled across a nifty TPTWP clue. In ASoS Jon 9: "a gust of wind sent icy tendrils wending through his long brown hair." For some reason tendrils caught my attention - seemed odd and I read it a few times over, then wrote it off. In Jon's next chapter, this comes: "the skin was full of mead, but a mead so potent that it made Jon's eyes water and sent tendrils of fire snaking through his chest." This, immediately on the heels of Tormund speaking of how Mance will surely make a song of Mag and Donal Noye. His is the song of ice and fire, anyone? Not that he wasn't already a prime candidate but I seriously question if this is a cheeky hint from GRRM.

This is great!

As a general rule, I don't believe that anyone who has been identified in-story as being Azor Ahai and/or the Prince That Was Promised will actually fulfill the prophecy/prophecies. That would include Aegon, Stannis and Dany.

This.

People who are point blank proclaimed to be AA or TPtwP, fills me with doubt.

:bowdown: Great find.

Archived