Eddard Stark: William Hastings, 1st Baron Hastings?

Ravenkingsamurai

Firstly, this is my first ever post, so be lenient!

Reading through GoT, I've realized some major comparisons between Eddard Stark and one of the more interesting characters from the wars of Roses: William Hastings, the first baron Hastings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hastings,_1st_Baron_Hastings

I am by no means the first person to say this, although I've noticed some eerie comparisons between the two figures:

1: His family, a cadet branch of the Hastings family, had long been based in the north in Yorkshire before moving to Leicestershire, with his maternal side having close links to the Percy family; who at their height were the real "lords in the north." He later married into another great northern family the Nevilles through the Kingmakers sister.

2: He was close friends with the "usurper" Edward IV ( considered one of the inspirations for Robert Baratheon.) He was knighted by him on the field of battle, took part in all his major campaigns from Mortimers cross, and even followed him into brief exile in 1470. The next year at the battle of Barnet, he commanded the Yorkist left. After this, he became Edwards personal confidant, master of mint and lord chamberlain.

3: Like lord Stark, he tried to depose the dead kings children Edward V on the grounds that they were illegitimate, opposed the Woodvilles ( Lannisters?) and invited Richard, Duke of Gloucestershire ( future Richard III, a contender to be Stannis Baratheons inspirations.)

In this instance however, he was successful in deposing the Child king and successfully paved the way for Richards Accession.

Ironically however, this all came to haunt him, when Richard, fearing Hastings popularity and power, accused him ( falsely) of conspiring with the Woodvilles and had him executed. Tellingly however, his decedents kept his titles. He was buried next to Edward IV St Georges chapel, Windsor.

Of course, there are some major differences; Hastings seems to have been a much more capable politician than Eddard, helping to scheme to get Richard in power. He is also not as "faithful" as Eddard; the evidence in his treason trial came from one of his mistresses, Jane Shaw.

Nevertheless, While Eddard is almost certainly based on a variety of characters, these striking similarities do seem to suggest that Lord Hastings could well have acted in part, as a basis for Eddard Starks character.

That's a good investigation!

I find William Hastings more like Tyrion, tough.

That's a good investigation!

I find William Hastings more like Tyrion, tough.

I agree their are certain attributes he shares with Tyrion ( master of coin, hand/chamberlin to the king e.c.t, although Tyrion never fought alonside a userper, was knighted on the battlefield.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived