The Structured Implied in the House of the Undying Prophecies

Mithras

I edited the OP (even the title). This way, only the important visions and prophecies are presented.

The Undying whispered 3 prophecies to Dany:

Prophecy 1: three fires must you light... one for life (Fire 1) and one for death (Fire 2) and one to love (Fire 3)

Prophecy 2: three mounts must you ride... one to bed (Mount 1) and one to dread (Mount 2) and one to love (Mount 3)

Prophecy 3: three treasons will you know... once for blood (Treason 1) and once for gold (Treason 2) and once for love (Treason 3)

After hearing these prophecies, Dany stated that she did not understand them and then, the Undying showed her these visions to tell what they mean by these prophecies:

Fire 1: (for life) Viserys screamed as the molten gold ran down his cheeks and filled his mouth.

Fire 2: (for death) A tall lord with copper skin and silver-gold hair stood beneath the banner of a fiery stallion, a burning city behind him.

Fire 3: (to love) Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last breath murmured a woman’s name.

... mother of dragons, daughter of death

Mount 1: (to bed) Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow.

Mount 2: (to dread) A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd.

Mount 3: (to love) From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire.

... mother of dragons, slayer of lies

Treason 1: (for blood) Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars.

Treason 2: (for gold) A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly.

Treason 3: (for love) A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness.

... mother of dragons, bride of fire

This looks like many visions falling into proper places elegantly though there are still some hard nuts to crack.

I interpret it differently. I think the F's are describing three deaths, the M's are describing three lies, and the T's are describing three times that she will become a bride. If anything I'd say the three fires are the three deaths, the three M's are the three brides, and the three treasons are the three lies... but IMO I think that's too flimsy of a link, so I'd say the the P's don't necessarily match up to the F, M, and T groupings you've theorized. In the same way they don't match up to the 7 visions later. Three sets of visions that may or may not tell similar events, but aren't necessarily connected.

ETA: Great breakdown BTW, MUCH easier to look at this as a whole and get into the meat of it. Thanks!

Apple Martini and I discussed something similar in the Stone Beast, Shadow Fire thread. We speculated that each set was related to a single person. We were unsure of the first set although I believe it to be Dany. The second set seems to relate to Aegon and the third to Jon. Now, I know there is discussion that the stone beast is not Jon, but perhaps if not him per se it is related to him somehow.

I love the HOTU but it is so cryptic.

Here is how we organized the prophecies:

First Item in Each Set

(Fire) One for Life - Daughter of Death: Viserys and the molten gold

(Mounts) One to Bed - Slayer of Lies: The blue-eyed king with no shadow and the red sword -> Stannis

(Treasons) Once for Blood - Bride of Fire: The silver trotting in the grass

Second Item in Each Set

(Fires) One for Death - Daughter of Death: Rhaego as he would have been if he lived -> Rhaego, like Aegon, will never fulfill the prophecy he was supposed to have.

(Mounts) One to Dread - Slayer of Lies: The mummer's dragon -> The Aegon out there now isn't really Aegon.

(Treasons) Once for Gold - Bride of Fire: Corpse on the ship, smiling sadly -> JonCon, dying but happy to "make it up" to Rhaegar, putting "Aegon" on the throne.

Third Item in Each Set

(Fires) One to Love - Daughter of Death: Rhaegar dying and whispering a woman's name -> Rhaegar probably whispering Lyanna's name, Jon's parents

(Mounts) One to Love: Slayer of Lies: The stone beast taking wing and breathing shadow fire -> Jon as the stone dragon beast, Jon's "fire" side

(Treasons) Once for Love - Bride of Fire: The blue flower in the wall of ice -> Jon on the Wall, Jon's "ice" side

T1. Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars.

This is Ny Sar, where the Mother gathers in her Wild Daughter, Noyne,” said Yandry, “but she will not reach her widest point until she meets her other daughters. At Dagger Lake the Qhoyne comes rushing in, the Darkling Daughter, full of gold and amber from the Axe and pine-cones from the Forest of Qohor.

The darkling stream in this vision is Qhoyne, one of the branches of Rhoyne. It is called the Darkling Daughter, At the Dagger Lake there are pirates lurking. Dany will go there. But I cant see any treason related to these yet. Also it is interesting that the giant turtle (Old Man of the River) appeared right here, where Ny Sar the Wild Daughter joins Rhoyne.

"They rode together [Dany on her silver] as the stars came out. [...] Afterward she could not say how far or how long they had ridden, but it was full dark when they stopped at a grassy place beside a small stream." (AGOT, Dany)

I'd be extremely surprised if the darkling stream didn't refer to the one from Dany's wedding night.

First of all let us remember what happened in the House of the Undying. Dany went in and saw some visions in the rooms. These visions are pretty straightforward like Red Wedding, Aerys giving order of the wildfire plot, Rhaegar holding Aegon etc. Then she saw the very appealing images of the Undyings who offered her very tempting things which are no doubt bullshit. Dany left them and entered the heart room. Here she saw the real faces of those pretty Undying wizards. They are in fact ugly undead things.

First they whisper Dany 3 weird prophecies marked as P1, P2, and P3.

Dany does not understand anything from this creepy words. She asks them to show her what they want to say. Then they show her 3 sets of visions followed by creepy whispers. I marked each one according to Fire (F1, F2, F3) Mount (M1, M2, M3) and Treason (T1, T2, T3). Finally she saw 7 visions and she is done.

Here what it looks like:

...mother of dragons... child of three...

...three heads has the dragon...

... mother of dragons... child of storm...

... P1. three fires must you light... one for life and one for death and one to love...

... P2. three mounts must you ride... one to bed and one to dread and one to love...

... P3. three treasons will you know... once for blood and once for gold and once for love...

Dany: "Wat da pho!?

...help her... (lol noob) ... show her...

F1. Viserys screamed as the molten gold ran down his cheeks and filled his mouth.

F2. A tall lord with copper skin and silver-gold hair stood beneath the banner of a fiery stallion, a burning city behind him.

F3. Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last breath murmured a woman’s name.

... mother of dragons, daughter of death...

M1. Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow.

M2. A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd.

M3. From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire.

... mother of dragons, slayer of lies...

T1. Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars.

T2. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly.

T3. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness.

... mother of dragons, bride of fire...

1. Shadows whirled and danced inside a tent, boneless and terrible.

2. A little girl ran barefoot toward a big house with a red door.

3. Mirri Maz Duur shrieked in the flames, a dragon bursting from her brow.

4. Behind a silver horse the bloody corpse of a naked man bounced and dragged.

5. A white lion ran through grass taller than a man.

6. Beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones crept from a great lake and knelt shivering before her, their grey heads bowed.

7. Ten thousand slaves lifted bloodstained hands as she raced by on her silver, riding like the wind. “Mother!” they cried. “Mother, mother!” They were reaching for her, touching her, tugging at her cloak, the hem of her skirt, her foot, her leg, her breast. They wanted her, needed her, the fire, the life, and Dany gasped and opened her arms to give herself to them.

Three fires

life= life of the dragons

death= death of MMD

love= the same fire as she was in love with the fire before she walked in.

Three mounts

bed= Silver

dread=Drogon he could also be love

love= Drogon or something else

Three treasons

Blood= MMD

Gold= Jorah or Shavepate

Love=not yet

"They rode together [Dany on her silver] as the stars came out. [...] Afterward she could not say how far or how long they had ridden, but it was full dark when they stopped at a grassy place beside a small stream." (AGOT, Dany)

I'd be extremely surprised if the darkling stream didn't refer to the one from Dany's wedding night.

That sounds plausible. In that case, the treason is done by Dany. She betrayed her husband Drogo by letting him not die as he should, practicing blood magic which is considered forbidden by the Dothraki and sacrificing Drogo's child in his stead.

That sounds plausible. In that case, the treason is done by Dany. She betrayed her husband Drogo by letting him not die as he should, practicing blood magic which is considered forbidden by the Dothraki and sacrificing Drogo's child in his stead.

I can buy into the idea the Dany commits the treasons. Could the treason for gold be how she got the Unsullied?

Three mounts

bed= Silver

dread=Drogon he could also be love

love= Drogon or something else

Maybe the one for love was Khal Drogo, remember, Dany got some lessons from lessons from Doreah and convinced him to try sex face to face rather than Dothraki doggy-style, took him out in the yard to do it so everyone could watch. That made him a "mount," eh?

I know that's kinky stuff but hey, it was a good chapter!

I can buy into the idea the Dany commits the treasons. Could the treason for gold be how she got the Unsullied?

I think it's also possible the treasons aren't against her, but three that change their loyalty to her. Maybe for example, Barristan for her trueborn Blood, Tyrion for the Gold that is his by rights, and maybe Jorah or Daario for Love. (Just theoreticals, it's a stretch to make these fit the way the OP lays it out)

Also I think that anything that happened before the undying may not be applicable (they use future tense), so MMD and BoD can't count.

Maybe the one for love was Khal Drogo, remember, Dany got some lessons from lessons from Doreah and convinced him to try sex face to face rather than Dothraki doggy-style, took him out in the yard to do it so everyone could watch. That made him a "mount," eh?

I know that's kinky stuff but hey, it was a good chapter!

:lmao:

[...]

Also I think that anything that happened before the undying may not be applicable (they use future tense), so MMD and BoD can't count.

I wouldn't see it that exclusively. After all, they don't say "will happen" but "will you know" - i.e. the future tense only implies that once Dany's arc is complete, it will have included three (major) treasons, loves and fires - not that these will happen later than the HotU.

That's an interesting idea. I'll reflect on that for a bit :-)

Apple Martini and I discussed something similar in the Stone Beast, Shadow Fire thread. We speculated that each set was related to a single person. We were unsure of the first set although I believe it to be Dany. The second set seems to relate to Aegon and the third to Jon. Now, I know there is discussion that the stone beast is not Jon, but perhaps if not him per se it is related to him somehow.

I love the HOTU but it is so cryptic.

Here is how we organized the prophecies:

First Item in Each Set

(Fire) One for Life - Daughter of Death: Viserys and the molten gold (I suppose in an abstract way she let him die for the life of her child but this was really an interaction between the idiot V and Drogo, I can't see it as a fire she lit. And in any case her child died)

(Mounts) One to Bed - Slayer of Lies: The blue-eyed king with no shadow and the red sword -> Stannis (Surely you're not saying Dany will sleep with Stannis???)

(Treasons) Once for Blood - Bride of Fire: The silver trotting in the grass (This seems most likely to be either just a reference to her wedding night or perhaps foreshadowing her re-joining Drogi and her silver, in the Dothraki after life. I can't see anything to do with treason, blood or fire, only something to do with love or death. Plus we have a mount here. and you have made no use of that aspect of it.)

Second Item in Each Set

(Fires) One for Death - Daughter of Death: Rhaego as he would have been if he lived -> Rhaego, like Aegon, will never fulfill the prophecy he was supposed to have. (I agree the death of Rhaego is one of the deaths she has known but any fire he might have created burning cities had he lived is not a fire she will ever know or light.)

(Mounts) One to Dread - Slayer of Lies: The mummer's dragon -> The Aegon out there now isn't really Aegon. (Once again its a lie, but not a mount ridden to dread.)

(Treasons) Once for Gold - Bride of Fire: Corpse on the ship, smiling sadly -> JonCon, dying but happy to "make it up" to Rhaegar, putting "Aegon" on the throne. (How is this a treason for Gold? How is it anything to do with being a Bride of Fire?)

Third Item in Each Set

(Fires) One to Love - Daughter of Death: Rhaegar dying and whispering a woman's name -> Rhaegar probably whispering Lyanna's name, Jon's parents (a death, and a love yes, not to do with any fire of Dany's. though)

(Mounts) One to Love: Slayer of Lies: The stone beast taking wing and breathing shadow fire -> Jon as the stone dragon beast, Jon's "fire" side ???

(Treasons) Once for Love - Bride of Fire: The blue flower in the wall of ice -> Jon on the Wall, Jon's "ice" side Cannot see your reasoning at all here

I am thoroughly bamboozled, see comments in blue.

Archived