Dywen Tribute - Badassery Included

Mithras

Aww, you do realize that you just elevated this truly badass dude in the eyes of everyone who hadn't really noticed him before and then went on and pulled the rug from under our feet by reminding us of Melisandre! Now all we can do is hope she's wrong... :D

Mel had an opinion about onions that Sam subverted quite nicely. May Dywen be the next onion to prove her wrong.

Rest assured. I think Mel is again wrong with her visions. The 9 eyeless faces she saw are not the rangers but the weirwood trees in the sacred grove where Jon swore his vow. I wrote this in the final part of this post.

In Storm of Swords prolo we hear that Chet is planning to kill Dywen in his sleep because he knows he is too hardcore to contend with and too loyal to mutiny.

Ulmer of the Kingswood is on the list of BAMF old NW guys.

I always thought all the hardcore bad ass old timers in the NW were a commentary on societies willingness to discard and ignore the elderly, even though in many cases they are still super useful.

We always hear characters disparaging the old, "Is there any fool like an old fool?" and all these "old done men", "going hunting", etc.

The NW is a sort of old folks home where society discards some of its elderly, yet these are still hella useful staunch asskickers.

:bowdown: Thank you for bringing to attention another BAMF for my list! :D

I have a question and hopefully someone can answer. As First-Ranger, Ben Stark would be in command of Quorin and others right? Which, if we look into the insight that these 'seasoned' rangers have... Ben must know something also, which leads me to believe he is probably still alive, doing something for the good of the realm. You don't survive beyond the wall without some form of badassary and now we know it isn't just Quorin who has it, but it seems, many seasoned rangers.

But.

The one at the beginning of GoT? I mean, he clearly didn't know of the walkers... so is it a select few who know or what? D:

• 1 month later...
The elk stopped suddenly, and the ranger vaulted lightly from his back to land in knee-deep snow. Summer growled at him, his fur bristling. The direwolf did not like the way that Coldhands smelled. Dead meat, dry blood, a faint whiff of rot. And cold. Cold over all.
Dywen's sense of smell is great but not comparable to a direwolf for sure. It is interesting that Summer smells a faint whiff of rot. Does that mean although the weather is deep freeze, the wights rot slowly.

Do deepfrozen things rot, only slower? Corpses in a morgue rot, they are cooled to 4°C iIrc which is a bit above freezing. It is a "magical" temperature for water. In moving bodies of water where the surface is frozen, the water that still flows tends to have that temperature. The idea is to not freeze the blood of the bodies in order to able to work with them.

But it says "dry blood" in the quote above, so that's not it.

In a fantasy world, could there be a faint smell of rot without the actual rot?

I always thought all the hardcore bad ass old timers in the NW were a commentary on societies willingness to discard and ignore the elderly, even though in many cases they are still super useful.

We always hear characters disparaging the old, "Is there any fool like an old fool?" and all these "old done men", "going hunting", etc.

The NW is a sort of old folks home where society discards some of its elderly, yet these are still hella useful staunch asskickers.

Great find. Makes me think of all the elderly Northern lords and retainers that have gone hunting to Winterfell for the Ramsay Bolton wedding ... won't say any more.

[benjen Stark]

The one at the beginning of GoT? I mean, he clearly didn't know of the walkers... so is it a select few who know or what? D:

I found Jeor Mormont knowing much more than he tells, but: I find myself unable to answer that for Benjen for now, am rereading AGoT Benjen now-ish.

I found Jeor Mormont knowing much more than he tells, but: I find myself unable to answer that for Benjen for now, am rereading AGoT Benjen now-ish.

It wasn't much of a reread. Benjen leaves the book in Jon III and only lives on in the past. Whatever he knows, he is not very talkative. So @Rickeen Baratheon: why do you think he doesn't know about the Others?

Archived