Small Questions v 10018

Stubby

Can anyone provide the quote about the Red Temple in Qohor being sacked? And also explain why it was sacked

It's not the Red Temple that was sacked, it was the temple of the Black Goat that was sacked by the Red Priests. I don't think the reason has been mentioned. Here is the quote from the Arianne chapter.

If the sailors could be believed, the east was seething with wonders and terrors: a slave revolt in Astapor, dragons in Qarth, grey plague in Yi Ti. A new corsair king had risen in the Basilisk Isles and raided Tall Trees Town, and in Qohor followers of the red priests had rioted and tried to burn down the Black Goat. “And the Golden Company broke its contract with Myr, just as the Myrmen were about to go to war with Lys.”

Has GRRM ever given a hint as to when Ser Gerold Hightower, Ser Arthur Dayne, and Ser Oswell Whent left for the Tower of Joy? I can't remember if Jaime mentioned whether or not they were still present at the time of the deaths of Lord Rickard and Brandon. Has anything about this ever been mentioned about whether or not they immediately joined Rhaegar?

Has GRRM ever given a hint as to when Ser Gerold Hightower, Ser Arthur Dayne, and Ser Oswell Whent left for the Tower of Joy? I can't remember if Jaime mentioned whether or not they were still present at the time of the deaths of Lord Rickard and Brandon. Has anything about this ever been mentioned about whether or not they immediately joined Rhaegar?

Wasn't there something in some app that confirmed that Whent helped Rhaegar "abduct" Lyanna?

I mean, this could be some possible answer.

He seems to be very vague with info from that area, but if you like, check the google results for Tower of Joy on the SSMs

edt Or the App, which I don't have, may have more

Two questions from re-reading Aeron's first chapter in feast:

A flying axe took off half of Urri’s hand when he was ten-and-four, playing at the finger dance whilst his father and his elder brothers were away at

war.

Any idea what war that would be? Ninepenny kings? I'm terrible with timeline stuff.

The Merlyn was a bald round fleshy man who styled himself “Lord” in the manner of the green lands, and dressed in furs and velvets. “One raven summons me to Pyke, another to Ten Towers. You krakens have too many arms, you pull a man to pieces.

Don't they all style themselves "Lord?" In that same chapter he refers to his father and Balon as lords, and meets with Lord Goodbrother.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I don't have the app either, can't even find it on my app store on mobile, so perhaps it isn't available in my country.

From the app:

Sometime later, Rhaegar abducted Lyanna with the aid of Ser Arthur Dayne and Ser Oswell Whent.

but the prince could not be found for the first months of the war. Rumor had it that he was in the south with Lyanna, at a place he called the Tower of Joy, near the red mountains of Dorne. But eventually his father sent Ser Gerold Hightower to recall Rhaegar to his duties, though Rhaegar ordered Ser Gerold, Ser Arthur and Ser Oswell to keep guard over Lyanna in the south.

From the app:

Thanks! I was already wondering what Ser Gerold was doing there. Arthur and Oswell were friends of Rhaegar, and confidants, but Gerold wasn't, yet he was present at the Tower of Joy. This explains it. Thank you :)

Also interesting that Rhaegar did not managed to avoid being detected, and rumours were surfacing. Any word in the app on how Ned found out about the location? Perhaps people holding siege at Storms End had heard the rumours as well?

Where does it say that the Hightowers barely sent any men to Renly or The Joff?

I don't know if it's ever directly said. They can supposedly field three times the men of any other Tyrell bannermen, yet I'm not sure any of their troops are ever mentioned. This is from the Feast appendix:

Lords of the High Tower have traditionally preferred trade to battle, and have seldom played a large part in the wars of Westeros.

Is there consensus about whether Aerys sent Gerold to find Rhaegar before or after he named JonCon Hand?

App suggests it was after JC was exiled.

But Connington, too, failed, and his force was shattered at Stoney Sept by the combined might of Lords Stark, Arryn, Baratheon, and Tulley. For his failure, he too was disgraced and exiled. Aerys then dispatched Ser Jonothor Darry and Ser Barristan Selmy of the Kingsguard to gather the remnants of Connington's royal forces, and finally sent for Rhaegar.

He seems to be very vague with info from that area, but if you like, check the google results for Tower of Joy on the SSMs

edt Or the App, which I don't have, may have more

I checked the SSM's but I couldn't find anything other than what we already knew.

I did find this:

Q: Does Howland know who Jon Snow's mother is?

A: The Shadow knows.

Who does GRRM means with the Shadow. Anyone any idea who this could be?

Archived