Small Questions v 10018

Stubby

It mentions in a clash of kings that Bonifer Hasty and the holy hundred fought for first Renly the Stannis until the Blackwater. But why would they fight under the banner of someone who doesn't even believe in the FOT7?

Several reasons: 1) They're sworn to the Storm's End, 2) When they lost their king (Renly), Stannis was right there to pick them up, 3) as far as Stannis told them, he's their true king. Still, they didn't exactly fight to the last man for Stannis's cause.

As we all know GRRM has been called the american Tolkien. I was wondering if there is a good thread discussing this, since I'm going to write an essay about it. I've searched but couldn't find one. Thanks.

Try Here and Here I don't really follow those threads but they seem like a good place to start.

Does anyone remember which chapter it's mentioned that in the North sometimes the old men would go out to "get firewood" during winter or something to that effect and never come back?

N/M I found it

Don't just all over me guys, but could Sansa have escaped from KL if she boarded the Wind Witch?

Like legitimately?

Had Sansa not gone to Cersei and spilled all she knew, she and Arya would have boarded the Wind Witch and would have returned north, yes.

After Sansa telling Cersei, Arya goes to see if the ship is still there and she notices men dressed in Winterfell clothing - yet she can't recognize any of them. We know that Ned's entire household was killed, and Cersei did know about the ship. This makes it likely the guards were Lannister men dressed in Stark colours, hoping Arya would be stupid of naive enough to ask them for help, or try and board the ship. As long as the ship was there, the guards must have been there as well. So this ship became off limits for Sansa the second Cersei found out about Ned's plans.

When Mel told Jon that she foresaw Arya riding up to CB did she and Mance know that the presumed Arya was at WF?

My personal opinion is no. When Jon receives Ramsay's first letter, it says that the marriage is to take place at Barrowton. I think that along the way Mance found out the wedding has moved to WF and changed course.

My personal opinion is no. When Jon receives Ramsay's first letter, it says that the marriage is to take place at Barrowton. I think that along the way Mance found out the wedding has moved to WF and changed course.

But in any event Mel must assume that Msnce needs to free her to make the vision happen, right?

Had Sansa not gone to Cersei and spilled all she knew, she and Arya would have boarded the Wind Witch and would have returned north, yes.

After Sansa telling Cersei, Arya goes to see if the ship is still there and she notices men dressed in Winterfell clothing - yet she can't recognize any of them. We know that Ned's entire household was killed, and Cersei did know about the ship. This makes it likely the guards were Lannister men dressed in Stark colours, hoping Arya would be stupid of naive enough to ask them for help, or try and board the ship. As long as the ship was there, the guards must have been there as well. So this ship became off limits for Sansa the second Cersei found out about Ned's plans.

Ah thanks.

As we all know GRRM has been called the american Tolkien. I was wondering if there is a good thread discussing this, since I'm going to write an essay about it. I've searched but couldn't find one. Thanks.

If you are going to write an essay you will also want to take a look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbaslypgyWk this video in which tolkein discusses this himself.

Whose sigil is three silvery mermaids upon a violet field?

Isn't it some house sworn to the Manderly's? maybe a lesser branch of the main house

Isn't it some house sworn to the Manderly's? maybe a lesser branch of the main house

There's nothing listed on the Citadel's Heraldry section, but from the context it would have to be a house sworn to the Manderlys, or just that knight's personal coat of arms.

Four White Harbor knights had formed a ring around Lord Wyman, as Maester Medrick labored over him to staunch his bleeding. “First you must needs come through us, ser,” said the eldest of them, a hard-faced greybeard whose bloodstained surcoat showed three silvery mermaids upon a violet field.

But in any event Mel must assume that Msnce needs to free her to make the vision happen, right?

I'm not so sure about that. I remember Jon asking her about Mance and she mentioned that all she sees is snow, just like with the Stannis. I'm not 100% certain that Mel knows where Mance is. Furthermore, there is some evidence that suggests Mance is not glamoured at WF (may no longer be wearing the gem) and therefore is no longer bound blood and soul to Mel.

I also recall a line (although I cant seem to find it at the moment) where Mel says something along the lines that a vision can be misinterpreted for something that will happen as opposed to something that may happen.

I think it's the Red Keep. Can't think of any other castle that is less than 300 years old.

Summerhall and Whitewalls were both built after the Red Keep. Can't think of any that are still standing, but I'm sure there are a few.

Archived