Small Questions v 10018

Stubby

Ok, my question is not about the stories, but it's small nonetheless.

When I visit this forum on my smartphone, and I'm on the page of my content, and I click on a thread, because I want to read the newest post, I automatically go to the first page of that thread. Now, this is not a problem for threads with only a few pages, but when I have to wait until 20 pages have loaded, before I can finally read the newest post on that thread, it is very time consuming, especially at those times where I have bad internet connection on my phone.

Anyone out there who knows how to immediately go to the last page of the thread? :)

I don't know if its the same for smartphones, but this works on both laptop and tablet for me.

Immediately underneath each thread title there is the name of its author and the time it was started, and then (for any mutlipage thread) several numbers. Those numbers are links to the pages in the thread. Usually its page 1-3 and then the last page, so you just use the last umber as your link instead of the thread title to go straight to the most recent page..

Even better, the little circle before the thread name is the link to the first unread post of yours in the thread. :)

Question about Westerosi military.

What percentage are knights?

Knights are all the heavy cavalry correct?

What about light horses, freeriders and what not. Those are a bit less disciplined and armored yes?

And what percentage of Westerosi military ride on horses in general?

Haha, thanks. I always forget that too.

Corbon, there are no numbers unfortunately. But I can click on the little circle/star in front if the thread name :D or, at least when there is something new to read. It doesn't work when I've already read it all. This is a major improvement :D thank you so much Arya kiddin'

This helps a lot :) :D

So we all agree this is an improvement right? It took me some time to figure out that the circle was actually a link. It vastly improved my forum experience. Earlier I had to scroll through the posts and remember where I last left off the thread. :grouphug:

Cheers to that little star/dot thingy. :cheers:

So we all agree this is an improvement right? It took me some time to figure out that the circle was actually a link. It vastly improved my forum experience. Earlier I had to scroll through the posts and remember where I last left off the thread. :grouphug:

Cheers to that little star/dot thingy. :cheers:

It truly is a wonderfull discovery!! :D

Why doesn't Dany question how Illyrio knows she's in Qarth?

When Illyrio sent all Belwas and Selmy he knew Dany had no Khalsar right?

I think Dany doesn't question Illyrio's knowledge, since word about her is spreading anyway. She has three dragons, and is known to be a khaleesi. She could have easily assumed Illyrio simply heard some of these rumours, or even spoke to some merchant who had seen Dany and her dragons with his own eyes.

In that case Illyrio would probably know about the status of Dany's khalasar as well, and the fact that there were only about 100 people left, in no fighting condition.

Why doesn't Dany question how Illyrio knows she's in Qarth?

When Illyrio sent all Belwas and Selmy he knew Dany had no Khalsar right?

1. Because she is just a young girl and knows little of the ways of war. 2. Illyrio knew whatever Jorah reported in his last dispatch.

What about light horses, freeriders and what not. Those are a bit less disciplined and armored yes?

I'm pretty sure it varies from army to army. But unless it's described otherwise i'd assume 0.25-0.33 horse. That's what Robb's ratio was.

A small percentage, I'd say never more than ten. Knights need to have money for a war horse and armor. Here's what Martin had to say about freeriders:

Freeriders are mounted fighters who are not part of a lord's retinue or feudal levy. Some are veterans, sure, but also green and untrained recruits, farm boys on ploughhorses, men dispossessed by the fighting, a very mixed bag.

Here are some quotes where the breakdown of knights vs men at arms is mentioned:

That was close on three hundred years ago, when the Seven Kingdoms were kingdoms, and not mere provinces of a greater realm. Between them, the Two Kings had six hundred banners flying, five thousand mounted knights, and ten times as many freeriders and men-at-arms.
“Your brother Rhaegar brought as many men to the Trident,” Ser Jorah admitted, “but of that number, no more than a tenth were knights. The rest were archers, freeriders, and foot soldiers armed with spears and pikes.
We have ten thousand men in the company, as I am sure Lord Connington remembers from his years of service with us. Five hundred knights, each
with three horses. Five hundred squires, with one mount apiece. And elephants, we must not forget the elephants.

The north has few Knights, since most houses there still follow the old gods. Don't forget. Robb's army had 300 Knights when they left Winterfell, whilst the total of men was 12.000. Out of those 12.000, 3.000 armoured lances who weren't Knights. I have always taken this to mean that, had these 3.000 armoured lances been men who followed the Seven instead of the Old Gods, they would have been Knights, which would make it 3300 Knights out of 12.000 men. This is 27,5 %. Perhaps this is an estimation for you. I don't really know how it goes for the other Kingdoms though.

Reposting this from before, just wanted to try one more time.

Two questions from re-reading Aeron's first chapter in feast:

A flying axe took off half of Urri’s hand when he was ten-and-four, playing at the finger dance whilst his father and his elder brothers were away at

war.

Any idea what war that would be? Ninepenny kings? I'm terrible with timeline stuff.

The Merlyn was a bald round fleshy man who styled himself “Lord” in the manner of the green lands, and dressed in furs and velvets. “One raven summons me to Pyke, another to Ten Towers. You krakens have too many arms, you pull a man to pieces.

Don't they all style themselves "Lord?" In that same chapter he refers to his father and Balon as lords, and meets with Lord Goodbrother.

Reposting this from before, just wanted to try one more time.

Two questions from re-reading Aeron's first chapter in feast:

Any idea what war that would be? Ninepenny kings? I'm terrible with timeline stuff.

Don't they all style themselves "Lord?" In that same chapter he refers to his father and Balon as lords, and meets with Lord Goodbrother.

The ninepenny kings happened before 259 AL, but we don't know exactly when. Theon was born in 279 AL, but he has an older sister and two older brothers. I believe Rodrik and Maron were older than Asha, and Asha was born in 276 AL. So Balon's first born must have been born no later than 274 AL, meaning he was married when he no later than 273 AL. Balon was the first born son of his fathers second wife, the first marriage had three children who eventually died. If we assume Balon was around 20 when he married (since no one was in any rush to arrange a marriage for 19 year old Theon, the last son of Balon), it means Balon was born around 253. Balon had four full-blood brothers, with this Urri being the third (it's Balon, Euron, Victarion, Urrigon, Aeron). If they are all a year apart, which is a bit unlikely, but we don't know anything else, Urrigon would have been born around 256 AL. When he was fourteen (when his accident happened), it would have been around 270 AL. That would bring us into the reign of Jaehaerys II or Aerys I. The Defiance of Duskendal happened around 270 AL. No further wars or anything like that I can remember, or they simply haven't been mentioned (or the ironmen have a different definition of war).

But then again, the ages could be off, making my reasoning completely wrong. The only wars that happened around 260 AL was indeed the War of the Ninepenny Kings (around 256-260 AL) and Tywin destroying the Reyne's and Tarbecks (which I don't think required help from the ironmen).

I think he thinks of Balon and his father as Lord, since they were the rulers of the iron islands. The other ironmen apparently aren't normally called lords, except for those who style themselves as such. But I'm not certain about this.

The ninepenny kings happened before 259 AL, but we don't know exactly when. Theon was born in 279 AL, but he has an older sister and two older brothers. I believe Rodrik and Maron were older than Asha, and Asha was born in 276 AL. So Balon's first born must have been born no later than 274 AL, meaning he was married when he no later than 273 AL. Balon was the first born son of his fathers second wife, the first marriage had three children who eventually died. If we assume Balon was around 20 when he married (since no one was in any rush to arrange a marriage for 19 year old Theon, the last son of Balon), it means Balon was born around 253. Balon had four full-blood brothers, with this Urri being the third (it's Balon, Euron, Victarion, Urrigon, Aeron). If they are all a year apart, which is a bit unlikely, but we don't know anything else, Urrigon would have been born around 256 AL. When he was fourteen (when his accident happened), it would have been around 270 AL. That would bring us into the reign of Jaehaerys II or Aerys I. The Defiance of Duskendal happened around 270 AL. No further wars or anything like that I can remember, or they simply haven't been mentioned (or the ironmen have a different definition of war).

But then again, the ages could be off, making my reasoning completely wrong. The only wars that happened around 260 AL was indeed the War of the Ninepenny Kings (around 256-260 AL) and Tywin destroying the Reyne's and Tarbecks (which I don't think required help from the ironmen).

I think he thinks of Balon and his father as Lord, since they were the rulers of the iron islands. The other ironmen apparently aren't normally called lords, except for those who style themselves as such. But I'm not certain about this.

Thanks. Yeah I wonder if by "off at war" he just mean their usual reaving.

The lord thing still seems odd to me, because he doesn't bring it up when discussing Lord Goodbrother.

Question, how often do some of you guys reread these books?

I am literally creating a set of notes because I don't want to forget what I know right now lmao.

Like, off tiny random trivia.

I've only read them twice, but I always end up re-reading individual chapters while looking for quotes and stuff.

Archived