Small Questions v 10018

Stubby

When is it revealed that Roose switches sides on Robb?

Was it before Arya sees them at Harrenhal.

Because I didn't realize that's what happened until much later, I didn't even realize he was at the RW

when Roose sends Glover, Tallhart & Karstark to Duskendale there is no longer any doubt that Roose is a traitor. Later we learn that he resolved to move against Robb when Theon seized WF.

Melisandre had spent the night in her chair by the fire, as she often did. With Stannis gone, her bed saw little use.

Do you think this is how Stannis gets warm in that awfully cold place?

After the Renly-killing-shadow-baby there was talk that Stannis had "problems sleeping" and Mel was the only one who could soothe his nightmares. If I wanted to be fair, I'd say that it could be that Mel is just Stan's sleep therapist, but if I'm brutally honest, I think they were burning their own "night fires" in her bed.

Who did Stannis leave in command at Storm's End when he left for the wall? And what happened to his castellan at Dragonstone?

Ser Gilbert Farring was the castellan at Storm's end. He sustained the siege laid there by Mathis Rowan.

From Arianne's gift chapter however, we know that the Golden Company have won Storm's End, and Jon Connington holds it now for Young

Griff/Aegon.

At Dragonstone Ser Rolland Storm had the command, the Bastard of Nightsong. He declined Loras single combat during the siege. I dion't believe we know what happened to him afterwards. :(

“The bones help,” said Melisandre. “The bones remember. The strongest glamors are built of such things. A dead man’s boots, a hank of hair, a bag of fingerbones.

What will happen to Dareon's boots?

Nice catch. Arya still has the boots, right? Perhaps she'll take on Dareon's face at one point, if women can take on the faces of men, which I'm not sure about.

If she can take Dareons face, would that mean she gains his ability to sing like him? Since no one noticed Pate was replaced, I'm guessing that the voice is transferred along with the face. If Arya can take Dareon's face, and gains his ability to sing (and Dareon was a great singer), she could use that to her advantage. It would most certainly help her getting coin to book a passage Across the Narrow Sea, if (or when) she wants to return to Westeros.

Nice catch. Arya still has the boots, right? Perhaps she'll take on Dareon's face at one point, if women can take on the faces of men, which I'm not sure about.

If she can take Dareons face, would that mean she gains his ability to sing like him? Since no one noticed Pate was replaced, I'm guessing that the voice is transferred along with the face. If Arya can take Dareon's face, and gains his ability to sing (and Dareon was a great singer), she could use that to her advantage. It would most certainly help her getting coin to book a passage Across the Narrow Sea, if (or when) she wants to return to Westeros.

Maybe when she is tall enough, she will glamour herself like Dareon. Kindly man said she will learn all those arts and more. In GRRM universe, taking the appearance of a singer means, she will sneak into a castle and carry out a secret ploy. Perhaps she will sneak into the Red Keep like this, or maybe the Vale.

In addition to that, girls usually have growth spurts between the ages of 8 and 13. Arya was 11 years old at the end of aDwD. She could very well be growing quickly in the next books, making her come closer in height to Dareon.

Her legs already started to get longer in ADwD. Surely her face and waists are also in the process.

I had a thought when I woke up today, is there a thread about the Starks importance in ruling (as kings in the north) that keeps the Others at bay through some pact with the COTF?

People have suggested it, taking "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" to have a deeper meaning. The timing doesn't quite work out since The Others killed Wymar, Gared and Will, and attacked the Fist of the First Men while there was a Stark in Winterfell.

Edit: Obviously they didn't kill Gared, Ned did. Oops.

People have suggested it, taking "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" to have a deeper meaning. The timing doesn't quite work out since The Others killed Wymar, Gared and Will, and attacked the Fist of the First Men while there was a Stark in Winterfell.

Edit: Obviously they didn't kill Gared, Ned did. Oops.

That makes sense, I just had a crazy thought that the others were gaining power because they weren't kings anymore. (Very crackpot I have nothing to back it up)

That makes sense, I just had a crazy thought that the others were gaining power because they weren't kings anymore. (Very crackpot I have nothing to back it up)

It's not THAT crazy as in, there's alot of other people thinking this. This very topic has been discussed at length though, try looking under "there must always be a stark in Winterfell" or just "a stark in Winterfell" or sniff around in the heresy thread(s) they've gone through Stark-Cotf-The Others connections...

What if your a noble woman and your husband gets sent to the Wall, are you still bound in marriage?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. We haven't had any examples. The closest thing would be Fireball sending his wife to the silent sisters so he could join the Kingsguard.

Archived