Small Questions v 10018

Stubby

Nice catch. Arya still has the boots, right? Perhaps she'll take on Dareon's face at one point, if women can take on the faces of men, which I'm not sure about.

If she can take Dareons face, would that mean she gains his ability to sing like him? Since no one noticed Pate was replaced, I'm guessing that the voice is transferred along with the face. If Arya can take Dareon's face, and gains his ability to sing (and Dareon was a great singer), she could use that to her advantage. It would most certainly help her getting coin to book a passage Across the Narrow Sea, if (or when) she wants to return to Westeros.

I believe she gave those boots to Brusco (SP?) the fish seller she worked for.

Isn't it obvious that the Knight of the Laughing Tree was Eddard. He was old enough, trained, a firm believer in the old gods and Howland Reeds best friend. Wouldn't It make sense that his devotion to Ned started with the KOTLT.

Not.necessarily, there is some ambiguity. It is generally thought that it was a Stark, but some believe Lyanna, some Brandon, some Ned. Some even think Howland himself (not a stark :p)

Do we know who Edmure would have married had he not been forced to.marry Roslyn Frey? It seems rather odd that he wasnt even betrothed at the time of the Wot5Ks, wondering if i missed something

Hoster being ill was a factor, since he could not negotiate with families for a wife for Edmure.

Why is there a Prince in Dorne? None of the other former kingdoms style themselves as princes, only Lords (until they start declaring themselves kings, of course). Shouldn't that be some kind of heresy? This has always bothered me...

Why is there a Prince in Dorne? None of the other former kingdoms style themselves as princes, only Lords (until they start declaring themselves kings, of course). Shouldn't that be some kind of heresy? This has always bothered me...

Dorne was a princedom due to its Rhoynish heritage. They kept the title prince when they joined the 7K because they weren't conquered but entered through marriage, and could demand favourable conditions, including that Dornish law applies in Dorne instead of federal law (e.g. in Dorne, daughters inherit before their younger brothers).

Do we know who Edmure would have married had he not been forced to.marry Roslyn Frey? It seems rather odd that he wasnt even betrothed at the time of the Wot5Ks, wondering if i missed something

Edmure seemed to like the ladies, perhaps he was in no hurry to settle down. Or maybe we can blame Blackfish for being a poor example :)

Assuming it's not to difficult can one of you guys with the ebooks please tell me which chapters mention House Liddle or any individual Liddles?

According to a kindle search I just did:

AGOT: -

ACOK: -

ASOS: Bran II, Jon VII

AFFC: -

ADWD: Jon IV, Reek III, Jon VII, The King's Prize, Jon XII, The Sacrifice

Dorne was a princedom due to its Rhoynish heritage. They kept the title prince when they joined the 7K because they weren't conquered but entered through marriage, and could demand favourable conditions, including that Dornish law applies in Dorne instead of federal law (e.g. in Dorne, daughters inherit before their younger brothers).

Ah! Thank you!

Not.necessarily, there is some ambiguity. It is generally thought that it was a Stark, but some believe Lyanna, some Brandon, some Ned. Some even think Howland himself (not a stark :p)

And there's the fact that Howland and Ned probably met at the Tourney, ans weren't friends before. Didn't Meera say Howland hadn't left home before going to the Isles of the Faces? And from there, he went to Harrenhal.

Before Hoster had gotten ill, he had send a letter to Prince Doran in Dorne, asking to negotiate a marriage between Edmure and Arianne. Doran had turned him down.

So Hoster had been trying to make Edmure a match. I can't remember if Arianne said how old she was when this happened, I don't have my books wirt me to check. When aGoT started, Hoster had been sick for 5 years. In aGoT, Arianne was 21 years old. So Hoster probably suggested the match when Arianne had been 16 or younger.

For all the discussion regarding my question about the 3000 year old dragon skul, here's the scene from the book (which I wasn't able to post yesterday, since I posted from my phone)

I find it strange that, if the Targaryens brought a skull with them from Valyria, that they olny have 19 skulls. The youngest skull obviously refers to the last dragon, which died during the reign of Aegon the Dragonbane (131 - 157 AL).

We know of many dragons (though some are not yet officially released, we'll have to wait 12 days for that). I'll list them:

Balerion

Vhagar

Meraxes

Silverwing

Syrax

Quicksilver

Vermax

Arrax

Tyraxes

Seasmoke

Caraxes

Moondancer

Stormdancer

Meleys the Red Queen

Sunfyre

Morghul

Schrykos

Tessarion the Blue Queen

Dreamfyre

That's already 19 dragons.

I also read somewhere there was a dragon named

Sheep Stealer

Balerion was older than Meraxes and Vhagar, and he died during Jaehaerys' reign, about 200 years old.

Meraxes was probably older than Vhagar (at the time they both lived) since Meraxes' skull was bigger than Vhagar's skull.

Vhagar lived until

the Dance

, Meraxes died together with Queen Rhaenys, but it is unknown when.

I can imagine not every dragon who died during the Dance had a complete skull at the time of his death. It were brutal battles, and with dragon against dragon, I can imagine not every dragon skeleton could be found, for instance, if they perhaps died at sea. If the Targaryens kept the skulls of all their dragons, where does the 3000 year old skull come from?

Where the heck did you find all those dragons? If you tell me "the text" I can look for myself - no need to use other sources

Why doesn't Dany question how Illyrio knows she's in Qarth?

When Illyrio sent all Belwas and Selmy he knew Dany had no Khalsar right?

I suspect without evidence that Quaithe and Illyrio have some sort of relationship

from ADWD epilogue

"It was easy to imagine old King Aerys perched up there, bleeding from some fresh cut, glowering down."

..why he was bleeding? he was always so terrified of any blades in his presence.

If I remember correctly, Joffrey cut himself too and was crying for mommy.

ETA: Yep, Black November, it was Joffrey instead of Cercei. ;) Here's the quote from ACOK:

Joffrey lurched to his feet. “I’m king! Kill him! Kill him now! I command it.” He chopped down with his hand, a furious, angry gesture... and screeched in pain when his arm brushed against one of the sharp metal fangs that surrounded him. The bright crimson samite of his sleeve turned a darker shade of red as his blood soaked through it. “Mother!” he wailed.

My read is that being susceptible to being cut by the throne is a sign of unsuitability for rule. the throne, or the sitter, knows they are incompatible.

Why does Cersei think the Lord Paramount of the Riverlands would come crawling back to King's Landing to serve as Master of Coin?

Because she has a really poor idea ahead of time who is really loyal and who isnt. He's made himself indispensabie and she thinks he will continue (sic) to be loyal

Also, was Sansa really disinherited?

Or is that everyone's assumption?

Because she was married to Tyrion Lannister

Where the heck did you find all those dragons? If you tell me "the text" I can look for myself - no need to use other sources

The Princess and the Queen excerpts that have been discussed on the forum. That's also W

Why I put the names of all the new dragons under a spoiler tag. Most of them have also been named by George during readings.

The Princess and the Queen excerpts that have been discussed on the forum. That's also why I put the names of all the new dragons under a spoiler tag. Most of them have also been named by George during readings.

Archived