Small Questions v 10018

Stubby

Barristan thinks Drink is false coin. Does this foreshadow some treachery or does this just show Barristan to be a bit of a snobbish prude?

He will give false information about the fate of Quentyn. That is why Dorne will side with fAegon and fight against Dany. Yronwoods on the other hand most likely side with Dany because they are the main rivals of Martells.

Why is there a Prince in Dorne? None of the other former kingdoms style themselves as princes, only Lords (until they start declaring themselves kings, of course). Shouldn't that be some kind of heresy? This has always bothered me...

Dorne was a princedom due to its Rhoynish heritage. They kept the title prince when they joined the 7K because they weren't conquered but entered through marriage, and could demand favourable conditions, including that Dornish law applies in Dorne instead of federal law (e.g. in Dorne, daughters inherit before their younger brothers).

Dorne is actually a Kingdom I thought with the ruler just styled as a Prince. I don't think Westeros has such things as Princedoms. It's even called the Seven Kingdoms not the 6 Kingdoms and Dorne.

Does anyone remember roughly where it's mentioned that Elia nearly died birthing Aegon?

The Griffin Reborn

"After the birth of Princess Rhaenys, her mother had been bedridden for half a year, and Prince Aegon's birth had almost been the death of her. She would bear no more children, the maesters told Prince Rhaegar afterward."

The Griffin Reborn

"After the birth of Princess Rhaenys, her mother had been bedridden for half a year, and Prince Aegon's birth had almost been the death of her. She would bear no more children, the maesters told Prince Rhaegar afterward."

Thx

Sansa was aware that Jaime and Cersei at least got along right in AGOT?

I see this and

"her twin brother Jaime had taken her quietly by the arm, and she had said no more."

When Robert went to see Lyanna.

And just a few lines earlier, "The children had been brought foward, introduced, and approved of by both sides."

So Sansa presumably saw this.

This should be some sort of proof that Sansa should have known Jaime and Cersei at least got along decently right?

Sansa was aware that Jaime and Cersei at least got along right in AGOT?

I see this and

"her twin brother Jaime had taken her quietly by the arm, and she had said no more."

When Robert went to see Lyanna.

And just a few lines earlier, "The children had been brought foward, introduced, and approved of by both sides."

So Sansa presumably saw this.

This should be some sort of proof that Sansa should have known Jaime and Cersei at least got along decently right?

Why wouldn't they get along? They're twins! Of course they get along. Just nobody knew they got it on.

Why is there a Prince in Dorne? None of the other former kingdoms style themselves as princes, only Lords (until they start declaring themselves kings, of course). Shouldn't that be some kind of heresy? This has always bothered me...

Actually, Dorne is a kingdom. A thousand years before aGoT begins, Dorne consisted of Andal states and petty kingdoms. There were many different rulers, but no ruler was strong enough to defeat the other onces and seize control of the entire region. That's when the Roynar Invasion took place, led by warrior-queen Nymeria. Nymeria landed at Dorne, and struck an Alliance with Lord Mors Martell of Sunspear. Together, they were strong enough to take control over all of Dorne, which is how they united it as the Kingdom of Dorne. This is how House Martell became the ruling house.

This union of Andal with Roynar made the Martells abandon some older Andal customs in favor of the Rhoynar customs, specifically, they began to call their ruler princes instead of kings. This also started the inheritance law, where the eldest child inherits the lands and titles, regardless of gender.

Was Jaime said to be a charasmatic battle commander at one point?

In ASOS, Tyrion would seem to think so. This is from a conversation with Cersei, on the changes made on the city watch after Blackwater (eta: Tyrion's thoughts only, so not part of the conversation):

"In most cases the gold cloaks would have resented having an outsider placed over them, but Ser Addam Marbrand was a shrewd choice. Like Jaime, he was the sort of man other men liked to follow."

In ASOS, Tyrion would seem to think so. This is from a conversation with Cersei, on the changes made on the city watch after Blackwater:

"In most cases the gold cloaks would have resented having an outsider placed over them, but Ser Addam Marbrand was a shrewd choice. Like Jaime, he was the sort of man other men liked to follow."

I knew it was said about Marbrand, but I remember Jaime being someone men gladly followed as well. Thanks.

I knew it was said about Marbrand, but I remember Jaime being someone men gladly followed as well. Thanks.

Jaime's interaction with his men in Dance suggests he was well liked by his men. And I'm sure the Starks considered him so dangerous not just because of his skill at arms but for his battlefield prowess.

Jaime's interaction with his men in Dance suggests he was well liked by his men. And I'm sure the Starks considered him so dangerous not just because of his skill at arms but for his battlefield prowess.

I recall both Ned and Catelyn thought him capable in AGOT.

Ned thought him courageous and capable considering his WOTE title.

And Catelyn referred to him as seasoned along with Tywin.

Were is Roberts own army during the battle of the bells? Why was he alone?

I don't think he was alone, but he was fleeing a defeat at Ashford. So he didn't have a real army or anything.

Would you guys consider Gregor and Sandor to be nobility?

Or is there a blurred line between landed knights and true nobility.

Like knights can be considered a minor form of nobility, but they aren't really full nobility right?

They are nobility yeah, they have last names and Gregor at least has lands. Here's a SSM about landed knights vs. true lords.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Knights_and_Lords

Arianne played a game of cyvasse with Ser Daemon, and another one with Garibald Shells, and somehow managed to lose both. Ser Garibald was kind enough to say that she played a gallant game, but Daemon mocked her. "You have other pieces beside the dragon, princess. Try moving them sometime."

"I like the dragon." She wanted to slap the smile off his face. Or kiss it off, perhaps. The man was as smug as he was comely. Of all the knights in Dorne, why did my father chose this one to be my shield? He knows our history.

Prince Oberyn’s presence here is unfortunate. His brother is a cautious man, a reasoned man, subtle, deliberate, even indolent to a degree. He is a man who weighs the consequences of every word and every action.

Why did Doran appoint Daemon Sand to guard Arianne in this mission?

Archived