What was the cover story of Lyanna's death?

mambru

Sorry if this question has been answered already...but what did Ned tell Robert and the world at large about how Lyanna died? Did he tell them that evil Rhaegar ordered her killed? Did he tell Rob that she died in childbirth but that the baby was stillborn? Seems a bit risky to me, since Honest Ned would find it hard to lie. And did Wylla the Wetnurse just happen to have her her own child die, so they could have a handy dead baby in Lyanna's tomb in case any questions were asked? Did the books clear any of that up?

I think Ned told Robert and all that Lyanna was dead. He brought her bones to Winterfell and buried her. He also brought her son and raised him as his own because that was he last promise to her. He never told Robert that Jon was Lyanna;s because Robert was killing all of the Targ kid's. That was the strain in Robert's and Ned's relationship and the strain in Ned's and Cat's.

I thought Robert was in KL while Ned went south to lift the siege of Storm's End and find Lyanna. He could have told Robert pretty much anything... that she died of an illness, I think would be most likely, as it doesn't implicate anyone in her death and doesn't give people the idea that she might have had a child.

The cover story probably involved a second shooter on the grassy knoll.

Gales of laughter.

IIRC, Robert and Ned had a snit over the Lannisters' romp in taking KL's (was that it?), and Ned went to sort out the Tower of Joy. Odd, that Robert did not accompany him to rescue his beloved.

I cannot recall anyone recounting Lyanna's death. But Ned had some time to come up with a story whilst getting a wet nurse for Jon and taking Dawn to Ashara. Whatever the reason Ned gave for her death must have satisfied everyone.

Did he?

I just assumed that the people of Westeros shows a remarkable lack of curiosity about Lyanna's fate and didn't ask Ned questions. Or if they asked, he refused to answer. Then folk drew their own conclusions. Surely the more astute would have gone dead lady + "bastard" baby from the famously honourable Ned and had a thought or two such as we have... But never followed it up?

well Ned could have told Robert anything and he would have no reason to doubt him. He definitely didnt tell him it was from child birth that could make certain people question the bastard child he returns with.

I also dont see him telling him that someone killed her, that would just add more pain for Robert and its just not Neds style. More then likely he told him she died of illness.

Robert definitely believed Rhaegar killed her. He said as much to Ned in the crypt of WF.

Robert is a person who wilfully believes whatever fantasy suits him. Often with no connection to any 'facts'. Its fairly likely, given the circumstance of her death and the way Ned avoids speaking of even her life to Robert, let alone anyone else, that this is such a case. Robert doesn't actually 'know' anything, he just makes assumptions that suit him and proceeds. With Ned not correcting him, and no one else able to either even in private, Robert's fantasy becomes the unofficially official story.

Did he?

I just assumed that the people of Westeros shows a remarkable lack of curiosity about Lyanna's fate and didn't ask Ned questions. Or if they asked, he refused to answer. Then folk drew their own conclusions. Surely the more astute would have gone dead lady + "bastard" baby from the famously honourable Ned and had a thought or two such as we have... But never followed it up?

Ned's not famously honourable though. He's an unknown second son from the far north who has appeared out of near obscurity to play a relatively background supporting role in the rebellion to Robert Baratheon's Figurehead and Jon Arryn's Leadership.

So far as anyone outside the rebel's councils knows at least.

Brandon might be slightly better known, and a bastard of his would be no surprise at all, so why not Ned?

15+ years later, the North (who didn't know him as well back then, as he'd spent most of his youth in the Vale and the rest as a junior kid brother) and a few senior figures in Robert's government like Barristan, Varys, Tywin etc, know him a little better from the time they would may have spent with him during the Greyjoy rebellion etc, and perhaps from Roberts stories.

Ned comes back from war with a bastard - no surprises there, men have needs, even Catelyn admits no surprise at this.

He also comes back with the bones of his sister, 'kidnapped' more than 2 years before.

Why would anyone connect the two things? The sister was kidnapped and probably dead well before the bastard was born.

Besides, "the bastard's origins are obvious - Ned took him from Starfall and that lady there (didn't she get dismissed from court for a pregnancy or something?) jumped off a tower in response. Its obvious she was the mother. Why probe something so clear? So what if he doesn't want to pronounce it publicly. Good on him for protecting the lady's name, as much as he could."

To the OP.

We don't know what, if any, cover story there was. For myself, I favour no real story at all. Ned says he found her bones, he's taking her home to be buried, thats all there is to it. Robert isn't the type to probe for truth when his preferred assumptions already fit within the (very limiited) data he has, and Ned has no need to speak of it to anyone else. So Ned says nothing, Robert makes some annoucements about mourning for Lyanna, murdered by the evil dragonspawn Rhaegar Targaryen and its done and dusted.

Robert would also be happy to make assumptions about Jon - seeing his never-the-boy-you-were, too upright friend having 'slipped up' is exactly the sort of thing that Robert's character type loves, because it makes his own foibles seem slightly more excusable. So probably, IMO, Ned never even had to 'claim' Jon, beyond something like the following:

scene: Robert arrives at breakfast (brunch) the morning after a nights boozing in shared 'remembrance' of Lyanna.

Robert: I heard you sent your bastard straight to Winterfell.

Ned: Yes.

Robert: You with a bastard, well well. Good on ya mate! You should a brought him along here though, I'd have liked a look at the woman who made Ned Stark slip up.

Ned: -

Robert: Ha! I know you know I'd a had a go at her. King's privilege and all mate. <backslap>

Ned: -

Robert: Anyway, thats not going to go down well with that new wife of yours, what was her name? Catrina? Betty? ahh, Kat-something wasn't it. Hmm, love me some Tully red hair, good on ya lad!

Ned: My blood, my responsibility. Enough.

Robert: You have to see my new suit of armour. Come on, lets go to the armoury.

But of course, as I said, we don't know. We have next to no data that supports or excludes any particular version. I think something like my speculative version above (but better written of course) fits the characters of Ned and Robert better than some fancy Nedsplaining. Especially with Robert likely to be slightly tiptoey around Ned (by Robert's standards) after they'd just made up.

Good question, I think it's all been burried by Robert's willingness to believe Rhaegar was the bad guy, Ned's usual, solemn silence and the fog of war. Come to think of it it is a (small) plot hole, there should be more explaining/rumours going around for Lyanna's death.

I believe the best answer we got has been a convo between Ned and Robert in the crypts, where Robert blames Rhaegar for Lyanna's death (in general terms, not like he says he threw her out the window or something specific).

@Corbon lol Robert sounds/reads australian to me. :p

Gales of laughter.

IIRC, Robert and Ned had a snit over the Lannisters' romp in taking KL's (was that it?), and Ned went to sort out the Tower of Joy. Odd, that Robert did not accompany him to rescue his beloved.

I cannot recall anyone recounting Lyanna's death. But Ned had some time to come up with a story whilst getting a wet nurse for Jon and taking Dawn to Ashara. Whatever the reason Ned gave for her death must have satisfied everyone.

Robert had been wounded on the Trident, and as the new king, was needed in KL. Going out and fighting some more (the siege at Storm's End wasn't likely to end in a fight, but you never know what people might do) wasn't the smart thing to do for Robert, and Jon Arryn would have made sure Robert did the smart thing. And so, Ned left on his own. Don't forget that Ned most likely did not know yet where to find Lyanna when he left KL. He must have learned that information along the way.

Ned doesn't like to lie, and Lyanna died of a fever, the result of childbirth. Telling everyone Lyanna died of a fever, would not have been a lie. He would only "forget" to include why she had the fever. Imprisoned (with Robert believing Rhaegar was raping Lyanna, he probably also believed she was not kept in good health) you have a bigger chance of getting sick. Perhaps that's the conclusion people drew from Ned's explanation?

Did he?

Yeah, it is funny how nobody ever even entertains a possibility.

Yeah, it is funny how nobody ever even entertains a possibility.

Robert believes Wylla to be Jon's mother, but doesn't seem to remember Wylla, who worked at Starfall, only met Ned at the end of the war, making it impossible for her to have given birth in time for everything to add up. This shows that Robert doesn't really think these things true.

Archived