Robert laughed so hard ...

Mithras

“King Robert was fond of me, though, The first time I rode into a melee with a flaming sword, Kevan Lannister’s horse reared and threw him and His Grace laughed so hard I thought he might rupture.

“That’s the real king of this castle right there,” one of the gold cloaks had told her. “Older than sin and twice as mean. One time, the king was feasting the queen’s father, and that black bastard hopped up on the table and snatched a roast quail right out of Lord Tywin’s fingers. Robert laughed so hard he like to burst. You stay away from that one, child.”

“Aye. The red wizard. I’ve heard tell he has strange powers.”

Well, he had the power to match Robert Baratheon drink for drink, and there were few enough who could say that. Jaime had once heard Thoros tell the king that he became a red priest because the robes hid the winestains so well. Robert had laughed so hard he’d spit ale all over Cersei’s silken mantle.

If you know more, please share with us.

Jaime Lannister was back on his feet, but his ornate lion helmet had been twisted around and dented in his fall, and now he could not get it off. The commons were hooting and pointing, the lords and ladies were trying to stifle their chuckles, and failing, and over it all Ned could hear King Robert laughing, louder than anyone. Finally they had to lead the Lion of Lannister off to a blacksmith, blind and stumbling.

It seems Bobby was ripe enough to rupture at any minute, There's also this in Arya's last chapter in AGOT:

"One story said the king had been killed by a boar while hunting, another that he’d died eating a boar, stuffing himself so full that he’d ruptured at the table."

I guess the Lannisters all turn into the Three Stooges when Robert was around. Seriously, Jaime got his head stuck in a helmet? Tywin getting picked on by a friggin cat? I wouldn't be surprised if Jaime stumbled off chortling, "nyuk nyuk nyuk!" and bumping into each and every person in the arena before he made his way to the armory.

Ol' Robert was a jolly sort! I bet had he lived long enough he would have been just like Santa Claus! Except he would carry a war hammer instead of a sack. And he would be drunk all the time. And he would hit things. A lot. Ok maybe not like Santa Claus.

If you had seen a Finnish Santa in the late eighties or early nineties, you'd reconsider the drunkennes part! :D

Robert laughing at Jaime's defeat in the Hand's tourney has been mentioned, but he also hid it at Joff's Name Day.

"Last tourney, he [Loras] dumped the Kingslayer on his golden rump, you ought to have seen the look on Cersei's face. I laughed till my sides hurt."

In the crypts of Winterfell:

"I have more concern for my nephew's welfare than I do for Lannister pride, " Ned declared.

"That is because you do not sleep with a Lannister," Robert laughed, the sound rattling among the tombs and bouncing from the vaulted ceiling.

Also,

"The King eats, they say, and the Hand takes the shit." He [Robert] threw back his head and roared his laughter. The echoes rang through the darkness , and all around them the dead of Winterfell seemed to watch with cold and disapproving eyes.

Robert loved to laugh, at he especially loved to laugh whenever a Lannister was brought down a peg in some way, because he resented the Lannisters for being a bunch of stuck-up bastards who gave him a bride who made him miserable, while at the same time being too powerful to just get rid of.

Robert loved to laugh, at he especially loved to laugh whenever a Lannister was brought down a peg in some way, because he resented the Lannisters for being a bunch of stuck-up bastards who gave him a bride who made him miserable, while at the same time being too powerful to just get rid of.

Robert 'the Passive-Aggressive Storm' Baratheon?

By the way, GRRM uses laughed so hard ... phrase very much. Most of the time fools laugh like that. And most of the fools laughing like that bites the dust.

It reminds of a scene in Homer's Odysseia. The suitors were also laughing like that they were spitting wines and meats out of their mouths. And we know that those stubbron fools were killed like pigs in the end.

Archived