Jorah's Future

Stormborn36

I haven't finished the book yet and I know there is one more Dany chapter but WHAT THE FUCK. I am so pissed that she finds out about Jorah's pardon and banishes him. I sincerely fucking hope he comes back in a huge way to help her. I hope he's not just gone for the rest of the books to this point. I am a huge Jorah fan and I think if any deserves Dany it is him. Not Daario who is seemingly douchey, or savage Khal Drogo or anyone else. This dude has been through it all with her and she'd be dead without him. What the hell does his future hold.

I can't tell you how frustrated I was when Daenerys banished Ser Jorah--I was eternally confused, as he obviously stuck with her because he was madly in love with her, and the whole spying matter was in the past. I thought she made a stupid, rash decision.

...until I thought about it from her point of view.

Daenerys is not a stranger to betrayal--that much is certain. What with the encounters with Mirri Maz Duur and Xaro Xhoan Daxos, she learned the hard fact that she really can't trust anybody (especilly people with foreign three syllable names, apparently). And the fact that Jorah sexually harassed her, a khaleesi no less, I can see why she didn't want a guy around that could be so easily swayed by his emotions, switch sides and undermine her position. Plus he was getting overly protective to the point of being irritating. Really fucking irritating.

However, I was still sad to see him go. He was the one guy whom I felt that Daenerys was actually safe with--now I'm quite afraid for her that she's surrounded by strangers with vauge intentions, at best. But I have a feeling that he's not gone for good--he is probably just keeping his distance, following her movements, always watching--making sure she's safe. Like a silent guardian. I have a hard time beliving he would simply let her go so easily.

Hopefully we see more of ol' bear. :unsure:

I can't tell you how frustrated I was when Daenerys banished Ser Jorah--I was eternally confused, as he obviously stuck with her because he was madly in love with her, and the whole spying matter was in the past. I thought she made a stupid, rash decision.

...until I thought about it from her point of view.

Daenerys is not a stranger to betrayal--that much is certain. What with the encounters with Mirri Maz Duur and Xaro Xhoan Daxos, she learned the hard fact that she really can't trust anybody (especilly people with foreign three syllable names, apparently). And the fact that Jorah sexually harassed her, a khaleesi no less, I can see why she didn't want a guy around that could be so easily swayed by his emotions, switch sides and undermine her position. Plus he was getting overly protective to the point of being irritating. Really fucking irritating.

However, I was still sad to see him go. He was the one guy whom I felt that Daenerys was actually safe with--now I'm quite afraid for her that she's surrounded by strangers with vauge intentions, at best. But I have a feeling that he's not gone for good--he is probably just keeping his distance, following her movements, always watching--making sure she's safe. Like a silent guardian. I have a hard time beliving he would simply let her go so easily.

Hopefully we see more of ol' bear. :unsure:

See, I agree with what you are saying but at the same time, it should be clear to her at this point that the pardon no longer means anything to him and that all his loyalty is to her. I could understand her initial frustration, but there should just be no doubts to her at this point that he has made his choice and his choice was to stand beside her.

Strange that this is what you would want.

I hoped he would come back and kill her and her entire lame retinue.

See, I am not one of those people against Dany or thinking she's dumb. I think she is fucking great. I think she is a very honest person with herself and comes from a crazy upbringing. She thinks things through in an emotional way but always tries to come up with the best outcome. She is unsure of things at times of course, but she is young. I think she is fair and has good intentions and I hope to see her go very far at the end. I think there is just something deeper than guardian/queen with Jorah/Dany relationship and it complicates each of their decisions. Obviously he is in love with her and she does not love him that way, but there is a different sort of love that still makes her more angry than she should be, I don't know.

He still betrayed her while in Qarth, he should count himself lucky he got to keep his head.

I think, looking back at their whole journey, Jorah has MORE than proved himself to her. He saved her life numerous times, put his in jeopardy for hers numerous times, and gave her wise counsel when she needed it numerous times.

• 1 year later...

We, the reader, can take a step back from the betrayal and see the bigger picture however Daenerys does not have that luxury.

My first time through, I kept thinking that she will change her mind in the next paragraph and summon Jorah back and pardon him...but it didn't come.

But to pull a GRRM...just keep reading. The roller-coaster ride ain't over yet! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I think, looking back at their whole journey, Jorah has MORE than proved himself to her. He saved her life numerous times, put his in jeopardy for hers numerous times, and gave her wise counsel when she needed it numerous times.

Well, here's the thing about being betrayed and losing trust in someone: you no longer know what's true and what isn't. Consider the poisoned wine incident - it clearly looks like he saved her life there. But can she be certain that it wasn't staged? Someone who is betraying you is capable of staging all sorts of things in order to make you trust them. And of course, they will always appear to be on your side. If she can't trust Jorah, then that basically means everything he's done is in question. And rather than execute or imprison him, she simply let him go. I don't think she had much alternative. He was lucky in that the penalty wasn't more severe, but it's not like she can trust him any longer.

He was the one guy whom I felt that Daenerys was actually safe with--now I'm quite afraid for her that she's surrounded by strangers with vauge intentions, at best

You distrust Selmy? I'm sure he is the real deal, just judging from Renly's words. Remember he was sure Selmy was fighting for Stannis, since he wasn't with him or Robb and Selmy always needs a king to serve. And he was planning to win him over after beating Stannis, because he is such a great guy. So to me it's clear he chose Dany and will be loyal til death ... or until she dismisses him.

No way Dany was in the right here. If she just couldn't trust Jorah, wether he passed her sewer loyalty test or not, she shouldn't have sent him there. And then she was thinking it might have been kinder if he died in the sewers... What a bratty egomaniac. I would hope it will bite her in the ass somehow.

• 4 weeks later...

Strange that this is what you would want.

I hoped he would come back and kill her and her entire lame retinue.

:fencing: i agree nothing beats crushing..."your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women." ~so sayeth Conan the Barbarian, it is known

We, the reader, can take a step back from the betrayal and see the bigger picture however Daenerys does not have that luxury.

My first time through, I kept thinking that she will change her mind in the next paragraph and summon Jorah back and pardon him...but it didn't come.

But to pull a GRRM...just keep reading. The roller-coaster ride ain't over yet! :)

exactly true Ser. i think she behaved just as she should in most betrayals there must be a separation to ultimately provide the setting for a return and redemption moment...

Yeah, I don't know why, but I particularly like Jorah. Dany has done a few things that irked me, but none more than sending him away. I mean, I get why she did it...but I still don't like it.

My guess is that he'll die defending her or while doing something for her, and she'll find out about it and regret sending him away for the rest of her life. Maybe if she were to end up on top, she'll have his name put down in the books as a legend, and as a wise general so he goes down in history in a positive fashion...but still, I'd rather him get the girl. It sounds so much more awesome than a Jon and Dany scenario.

We shall see...hopefully....someday...maybe. There's always the HBO version. :D

Jorah was stupid. All he had to do was say that he was keeping her friends in Westeros appraised of her situation -- Varys primarily, who is working with Illyrio. Once the offer of a pardon was made, he should have severed all contact, except maybe for one more in Quarth to see what the situation was in KL after Robert had died.

He wasn't betraying her, but cooperating with her allies.

She would still have been pissed that he was doing this behind her back, but it is less serious than a full-on betrayal to her enemies and might have avoided his banishment.

Jorah was stupid. All he had to do was say that he was keeping her friends in Westeros appraised of her situation -- Varys primarily, who is working with Illyrio. Once the offer of a pardon was made, he should have severed all contact, except maybe for one more in Quarth to see what the situation was in KL after Robert had died.

He wasn't betraying her, but cooperating with her allies.

She would still have been pissed that he was doing this behind her back, but it is less serious than a full-on betrayal to her enemies and might have avoided his banishment.

True, for how analytical he was with everything else when giving her advice, you would have thought that he'd have something to say when this came down to cover himself. Like you said, it would have been the difference between keeping her in the dark and receiving a slap in the face, to full blown banishment. Maybe. Dany is pretty easily swayed to behaving brash, since she's been betrayed and mistreated so many times at a young age. You never know. She might have kicked his ass anyway, or even had him killed if she thought he was lying to her.

All he had to do was say that he was keeping her friends in Westeros appraised of her situation -- Varys primarily, who is working with Illyrio.

I don't think Jorah guessed any of that. I think he thought he was working for Varys who was working for Robert, when he approached the Targareans. So he couldn't have even come up with that story.

Archived