Video Games: The (over-priced) Expansion

Relic

Beat Halo: Reach. Wasn't bad, had a decent amount of fun. Not much more to say really.

I've been playing a lot of Tropico 4 again, that's a ton of fun. Although the game I started a couple nights ago apparently had Modern Times enabled. Its the first time I've played with it, and I don't really like it much. It creates too much of a hodgepodge of buildings between the original stuff and the modern stuff that really jars; its weird having skyscrapper apartment buildings when I'm still struggling to build '30s-style factories in my industrial area of the island.

Doom Co-Creator John Carmack Leaves Id Software

This latest move comes after Carmack took on the role of head of technology at Oculus VR, which makes the buzzed-about Rift virtual reality headset. Though Willits essentially says that Id's always-strong technology development is on a steady course, Carmack's departure certainly marks the end of an era.

Didn't he leave over a decade ago to form Ion Storm and make that Direkatana? Or was that another employee? Ignore.

Seriously, what was the last iconic game ID made?

Hmmm...I don't think ID has been worried about making games since Quake.

I'm guessing the graphics engine is what makes them money.

I'm guessing the graphics engine is what makes them money.

That might have been the case during the Quake 3 engine days but what games are made on ID-tech now? Even Bethesda's recent titles like Skyrim and Dishonoured have not used Id-tech despite the engine being owned in house.

They're a shadow of what they once were whichever way you want to look at it.

Any of you watch Red Bull Battlegrounds this weekend? I still haven't seen all of it but man that last Scarlett vs. Bomber game was crazy.

Been playing Hearthstone nonstop since Friday night. Arena is just too much fun :lol:

Seriously, what was the last iconic game ID made?

For 'iconic', probably Quake 3. For mods, Doom III. But then the only game they've made since then is Rage, which never got more than 'okay' reviews (I've got it but still haven't played it).

The first 3rd-party SteamBox. Looks pretty smart and retailing at $499, taking aim directly at the X-Box One's price point. Not bad specs either, though the 'run all games at 1080p at 60fps' claim seems to be missing 'on medium'.

Sam Lake talks about Quantum Break and the on-hold Alan Wake 2. I can never get used to people interviewing Max Payne in RL :)

That might have been the case during the Quake 3 engine days but what games are made on ID-tech now? Even Bethesda's recent titles like Skyrim and Dishonoured have not used Id-tech despite the engine being owned in house.

They're a shadow of what they once were whichever way you want to look at it.

Heh, probably why Carmack is leaving.

Guy is smart about graphics, I can see why he wants to be part of the Occulus stuff. Imagine a Doom game that immersive...

When the hell is the next episode of The Wolf Among Us coming out :(

I wouldn't get my hopes up for it coming out this month.

Telltale's release schedule sucks. They said a new The Walking Dead episode would come out every month, but it usually took them a month and a half, sometimes even two months. I think it's gonna be the same with The Wolf Among Us.

Also, I don't remember where I read it, but a Telltale dev said they're in for a busy December, which makes me think they're gonna release it alongside The Walking Dead Season 2, which is scheduled to come out sometime next month.

So that Steam machine costs the same in dollars as an Xbone, but will it be cheaper in pounds? In other words will it be closer to £300 than what the Xbone costs in the UK (£429)?

Unknown at the moment.

Just to tie together two unreleated, concurrent conversations in this thread, I also picked up The Witcher on gog recently (for $2.49!) after years of people recommending it to me, and holy crap I don't know if I can even power through the first castle sequence. Seemingly endless cinematic sequences punctuated by the worst combat system I've ever seen. It somehow manages to be both mind-numbingly simple and incredibly frustrating at the same time. And so far, I'm killing the same three people over and over and over again. I know everybody says it gets better (and then worse again), but for $2.49 I think I'm just throwing in the towel right now.

On the other hand, I just impulse-bought a PS4 after stumbling across a lone forgotten pre-order in Toys R Us and I'm loving it. I haven't bought a console since I had ColecoVision as a kid. After seeing teasers of Mad Max, The Order 1860 and Everyone's Gone To The Rapture, I knew it was time to dive back into console gaming.

The Witcher is best-played on Easy to take the tedium out of the combat. The story makes it worthwhile, but yeah, the game is 'highly variable' to say the least.

I bought The Witcher 2, played it for a bit but there was some tentacle monster quest that really annoyed me and I didn't get past and I've given up on the game for literally 18 Months.

Archived