R+L=J v 65

Stubby

Wow, how many languages do you speek?

Not that many - English and Russian (though English is the one I have way more practice in) but they had us study the Slavic languages differentiation at the university.

Slovak, but I can't claim really speaking it as the proximity allows for perfect understanding while speaking Czech.

I was taught some rudiments of Latin, Old Greek and German.

Fisherman's Daughter!! My favorite :devil:

The point being Stannis suggests this. He doesn't has the reputation of lying, so where might've gotten this notion, seeing it matches up the description given by a man far far away in a gloomy wet place.

What looking for answers, there are none here. You're supposed to answer this. :devil:

:P

This is a really nice catch!

- AGoT, Jon I

- ASoS, Bran II

So, we have a banquet, wine, tears, Benjen and the presence of a brother of the NW.

Thanks. :bowdown:

That just goes to show that no matter how many times you read something, you see something new. :drool:

Edit: I wonder what Benjen must have been thinking?

Also, there is something slightly mystical in the combination of a banquet, wine and tears.

So, I have to say, rereading through the series again, I can't help but think of all the foreshadowing of RLJ in the first book, it was thick. But it kind of trickled off. Is this because GRRM had hoped to make this into a trilogy? while there is still some of that foreshadowing in ASOS, especially with TKOTLT story, I wonder if GRRM had thought he'd reveal the parentage in the beginning of the third book (when he thought it was a trilogy), and not it's been pushed back to (probably) the sixth. Any thoughts on this?

So, I have to say, rereading through the series again, I can't help but think of all the foreshadowing of RLJ in the first book, it was thick. But it kind of trickled off. Is this because GRRM had hoped to make this into a trilogy? while there is still some of that foreshadowing in ASOS, especially with TKOTLT story, I wonder if GRRM had thought he'd reveal the parentage in the beginning of the third book (when he thought it was a trilogy), and not it's been pushed back to (probably) the sixth. Any thoughts on this?

I think it's true that most of the clues are in book 1, and I think he had planned only a trilogy. I don't know about the reveal being anytime soon. He was supposed to flesh out the tensions between Aerys and Rhaegar in B5, but didn't get around to it.

That was the main reason for me to suspect that he wanted to reveal the secret in the 2nd or maybe 3rd book. There are too many pieces of the puzzle in it. And I said in my 1st post that he probably wanted to end it earlier but after the popularity he decided to delay.

Does everyone support this theory?
Like, everyone? D:

I'd very much like to hear ANYONE's opinion on how it could possibly NOT be true, and GRRM is just throwing us giant red herrings to make us speculate. I mean- obviously it's more likely to be true than not, but. I really, reeeeeeally don't want it to be. It feels too predictable, too obvious- and if it IS true, I feel like he really copped out as a writer. Jon a Targaryen? Really? Come on, GRRM...

Like, everyone? D:

I'd very much like to hear ANYONE's opinion on how it could possibly NOT be true, and GRRM is just throwing us giant red herrings to make us speculate. I mean- obviously it's more likely to be true than not, but. I really, reeeeeeally don't want it to be. It feels too predictable, too obvious- and if it IS true, I feel like he really copped out as a writer. Jon a Targaryen? Really? Come on, GRRM...

Dunno how obvious was it to you on your first read? On your second read? There have been a few that figured it out from the screenplay on its own. But, seriously the vast majority of those who have been exposed to both go, "WTF!?!? Really, Jon was Lyanna's son?"

Like, everyone? D:

I have the same thought about the Others and wights. I'd very much like to hear opinions on how it couldn't possibly be true that they are villains to humanity, and I figure GRRM is just throwing out red herrings to make us thing they are big meanies. I really don't want it to be true. Having cold dead things as the big meanies feels too obvious and predictable and if it turns out they are the big bad, it probably means Martin copped out as a writer.

I have the same thought about the Others and wights. I'd very much like to hear opinions on how it couldn't possibly be true that they are villains to humanity, and I figure GRRM is just throwing out red herrings to make us thing they are big meanies. I really don't want it to be true. Having cold dead things as the big meanies feels too obvious and predictable and if it turns out they are the big bad, it probably means Martin copped out as a writer.

Try heresy ;)

Seriously why are reading this hack? Obviously he's just following all the same boring tropes as all the other fantasy writers. I guess I should find a new hobby :leaving:

Try heresy ;)

Seriously why are reading this hack? Obviously he's just following all the same boring tropes as all the other fantasy writers. I guess I should find a new hobby :leaving:

Well, that worries me. If heresy sees the others as NOT the big bad, then perhaps their inherent goodness is the obvious and cliche thing. After all, they have like 100034556235 threads. So now I'm really confused and worried that there isn't a theory about the Others that isn't too mainstream for my support. Geez, I can never win. :(

Archived