R+L=J v 65

Stubby

I thought the same thing. Aegon's description does sound a bit like Rhaegar, who is basically described enigmatically. He was a solitary person who took no part in the play of other children. Also, both remained faithful to their two wives. My guess is that both Aegon and Rhaegar inherited the Targaryen gift for prophecy, and shared an interest in the PtwP prophecy.

That's my guess, as well. IIRC, unlike incest, polygamy was not common in Valyria, he must have had a reason to establish it.

And yet some people have come in here to say that they know people who've already figured it out from the TV Show alone (non-book readers).

The basics are still there, for anyone who starts thinking about Jon's parentage a bit in-depth:

- there is no depiction of Ned's relationship to any other woman but Catelyn and he is very do-the-right-thing guy: he wouldn't cheat, war or not

- there is no plausible reason why he shouldn't tell Jon his mother's name: no reason for a secret if there is nothing meaningful to it, and it should be hinted somehow

- there is the tragic mysterious dead sister who was taken by the prince: in combination with the previous two, enough material to make an intuitive leap to R+L

- "you may not have my name but you have my blood": just the cherry on the cake - why the circumventing if he can say just as well "you may not have my name but you are my son"?

- "you may not have my name but you have my blood": just the cherry on the cake - why the circumventing if he can say just as well "you may not have my name but you are my son"?

Exactly. found this very odd, and as a person who watched the tv show before reading the books, I initially assumed Jon was the son of robert and lyanna (the black hair), so i decided to look for answers on the internet and saw people talking about R+L=J.

Seems to me that most people (that i've talked to about it) tend to believe that Rhaegar and Lyanna were in love and had a child, Jon Snow, who Eddard took back north and claimed was his bastard son

But, i figure there must be some who don't believe that..

is there anyone who doesn't believe this theory? If so, who do you believe are Jon Snows parents? Eddard and that girl from the sisters? Eddard and ashara dayne? i'd love to hear you guys theories/opinions about it c:

I think the most common theory I've seen besides R + L = J is that Jon's parents are Eddard and Ashara. There are other offshoots, though. I think I've seen Mance and Lyanna suggested before and there's at least one board member that believes that Jon is actually Aegon. I'm not sure anyone believes that his mother is Wylla or the fisherman's daughter. Personally. I think it's Rhaegar and Lyanna.

I'd be very surprised if it weren't true. At least as far as Jon being Rhaegar and Lyanna's kid. But who knows? Maybe Rhaegar forced her to marry him and then he raped her.

Maybe, but i kinda have a hard time thinking that anyone could force Lyanna to do anything she didn't wanna do, but im biased maybe.

I think the most common theory I've seen besides R + L = J is that Jon's parents are Eddard and Ashara. There are other offshoots, though. I think I've seen Mance and Lyanna suggested before and there's at least one board member that believes that Jon is actually Aegon. I'm not sure anyone believes that his mother is Wylla or the fisherman's daughter. Personally. I think it's Rhaegar and Lyanna.

Mance and Lyanna? thats new to me actually, and i've read the Aegon theories but they're just "meh" to me.

Maybe, but i kinda have a hard time thinking that anyone could force Lyanna to do anything she didn't wanna do, but im biased maybe.

Mance and Lyanna? thats new to me actually, and i've read the Aegon theories but they're just "meh" to me.

Well, there's a reason most posters tend to settle on Rhaegar and Lyanna over other possible candidates. It answers a number of questions (what did Lyanna ask Ned to promise her? what lies has he been telling for the past 14 years? why won't Ned tell Jon who his mother is?) while making a lot of narrative sense. Most other theories don't have plausible alternatives to the answers of these questions and others.

Archived