Season 3 Bluray and DVD Details Revealed

Westeros

HBO has sent out a press release containing a host of new details for the Season 3 Boxset (Pre-order: US Bluray, US DVD, UK Bluray, UK DVD), setting its release date as February 18th.

4113BEuM4oL._AA300_.jpg

The press release details start below, including an exclusive sneak peek by way of USA Today:

Featuring one of the most shocking episodes of all time, the third season of the HBO® series Game of Thrones captured headlines and captivated audiences with its gruesome battles and political intrigue. The season was “bigger than ever” (Entertainment Weekly) - and the most nominated series at the 2013 Emmy® Awards. Bring home a piece of TV history when Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season makes its highly anticipated debut on Blu-ray with HBO Select ($79.98), DVD ($59.99) and Digital Download on February 18, 2014. Game of Thrones is consistently the hottest BD/DVD title on the home entertainment charts, with seasons one and two currently ranked as the fastest-selling TV-on-BD releases of all time. The BD and DVD sets are packed with special features that further explore the characters, families and politics that populate the richly drawn world of Westeros.

In Season 3, the battling families of the Seven Kingdoms continue to fight for power as bonds are strained, loyalties are tested and cruel fates are met. The Lannisters barely hold on to power after a savage naval onslaught from Stannis Baratheon, while stirrings in the North threaten to alter the overall balance of power. Robb Stark, King in the North, faces major calamity in his efforts to build on his victories over the Lannisters, and beyond the Wall, Mance Rayder and his huge army of wildlings continue their inexorable march south. Across the Narrow Sea, Daenerys Targaryen - reunited with her three fast-maturing dragons - attempts to raise an army to sail with her from Essos, in hopes of eventually claiming the Iron Throne for herself.

Bonus Material

The Blu-ray with HBO Select and DVD bonus materials in Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season contain multiple featurettes, extended and deleted scenes, and audio commentaries. Additional features on the BD release include interactive guides, illustrated histories, and an extensive feature on the creation of “The Rains of Castamere,” containing nearly two hours of never-before-seen material, as well as new looks at the infamous “Red Wedding.”

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Anyone care to hazard a guess about the deleted scenes?

We know the Tywin/Pycelle exchange is in, but what about the other four?

I'd have to guess:
- Something in the Eyrie (we know Kate Dickie filmed some scenes last season - always possible they could be used for season four of course)
- The introduction of Wendel Manderly at the RW

- Barristan talking with Dany about Aerys, Rhaegar etc whilst Jorah and company take Yunkai. (Really hope this one is in but a complete guess)
- I'm sure I saw a shot of Loras and Margaery somewhere during all the in-production videos. No idea if that was anything.

Whatever they are I'm excited :laugh:

Actually, it's pretty surprising how few deleted scenes this show has. I'm really interested to know what happened to the shot scene with the Mad King and the Starks. I know D&D settled on a no-flashback policy, but an exception here and there would be of great help.

Actually, it's pretty surprising how few deleted scenes this show has. I'm really interested to know what happened to the shot scene with the Mad King and the Starks. I know D&D settled on a no-flashback policy, but an exception here and there would be of great help.

I wouldn't say it's all that surprising. Time really does equal money when it comes to film-making, and when you're already the most expensive show on television (and one of the most expensive of all-time) and you're working with such a tight schedule, it really wouldn't do to end up with half an hour (potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars and up) of deleted scenes. That said, I'm a bit surprised that there will only be five deleted scenes for season three, given that we know of quite a few scenes that were edited out. My guess is that they decided to hold some of the material back for season four (Tormund & Ygritte meeting with Mance & Littlefinger at the Eyrie, possibly).

As for their 'no flashbacks' policy... Bran needs something to do in season five, and exploring Robert's Rebellion through his greenseer abilities would do nicely. As D&D have said in interviews before: It's not that they aren't interested in exploring the past, but rather that it doesn't make sense to do so (from a logistical or narrative standpoint) until the time comes where these events will be more relevant to the current timeline. I'm also anticipating a cameo from Sean Bean some time in the future, as he has stated that he'd like to return to the show, and there's a certain scene from A Dance with Dragons that would fit the bill perfectly in that regard.

As for their 'no flashbacks' policy... Bran needs something to do in season five, and exploring Robert's Rebellion through his greenseer abilities would do nicely. As D&D have said in interviews before: It's not that they aren't interested in exploring the past, but rather that it doesn't make sense to do so (from a logistical or narrative standpoint) until the time comes where these events will be more relevant to the current timeline. I'm also anticipating a cameo from Sean Bean some time in the future, as he has stated that he'd like to return to the show, and there's a certain scene from A Dance with Dragons that would fit the bill perfectly in that regard.

Here's hoping.

Anyone care to hazard a guess about the deleted scenes?

We know the Tywin/Pycelle exchange is in, but what about the other four?

I believe there was a photo floating around somewhere of what looked like a Tyrion/Cersei/Sansa/Shae meeting, which based on Tyrion and Cersei's wardrobe was from episode 3.03.

Man, I hope the sigil covers for seasons going forward will be of different houses than Stark, Lannister, and Targaryen. Once I round those out I hope to have options to complete my collection, rather than having those three stand out against the next five when all is said and done.

Man, I hope the sigil covers for seasons going forward will be of different houses than Stark, Lannister, and Targaryen. Once I round those out I hope to have options to complete my collection, rather than having those three stand out against the next five when all is said and done.

It's all people keep voting for and it's annoying. They had like four different alternate design choices this year including other Houses and held a poll, and Stark, Lannister and Targaryen won yet again. I wanted the Greyjoy cover, badly. It looked awesome.

I mean come on, already. What are we going to have 10 years of seasons with the same alternate designs every year?

I wanted the Greyjoy cover, badly. It looked awesome.

The Greyjoy cover was for season 2 Best Buy Exl. This year they were either repeating Stark and Lannister or doing Tyrell and Tully or the character faces. I suspect that when all is said and done the complete set will have a different sigil on each. I went with the collector's set this time.

I really hope casual fans love Oberyn so much they vote for a Martell sigil case for the season 4 one.

In a perfect world there'd also be a Bolton flayed man sigil case. Considering barely any viewers know who the Boltons are though it's probably very unlikely.

Regarding the covers: What I eventually want to see is a full box set of all seven/eight seasons with each season package showing the sigils one of the major houses. As they are published right now, the dvds are rather singular entities anyway.

Regarding the covers: What I eventually want to see is a full box set of all seven/eight seasons with each season package showing the sigils one of the major houses. As they are published right now, the dvds are rather singular entities anyway.

That would be awesome.

But they'll probably just have a set with all Stark, a set with all Lannister, and a set with all Targaryen :ack:

No round table discussions? Thought those were cool but way too short on the season 2 blu-ray.

Looks like there'll be more History and Lore segments thankfully, those are the best extra feature I've ever encountered on a dvd/blu-ray.

It's all people keep voting for and it's annoying. They had like four different alternate design choices this year including other Houses and held a poll, and Stark, Lannister and Targaryen won yet again. I wanted the Greyjoy cover, badly. It looked awesome.

I mean come on, already. What are we going to have 10 years of seasons with the same alternate designs every year?

I didn't even know there was a vote. Where can I find this? I'd love to vote next year.

Archived