Small details you would like to know.

Black November

How big Tormunds member really is.

The world may not yet be ready for it.

-When did Ned Stark's mother die in relation to how old his siblings and him were at the time?

-Who were the Ned generation siblings closest to amongst each other? Like in the Robb generation, Arya and Jon are the closest (even though I am sure Robb would choose Jon as his favorite sibling)?

-How did Tywin propose to Joanna?

-Is Jaime's belief that Catelyn would have preferred to have married him over Ned when Brandon died based on anything other than vanity in regards to his looks?

-Why is Jaime so stuck on Brandon's strangulation? It seems like there were many burnings and horrific events under the Mad King, and yet that seems to be one of the ones that haunts Jaime the most. What was it about Brandon? Or was the event itself something that hit so close home?

-Why did Ned tell Arya that she would marry a King some day? When really her sister supposed to marry the prince, thus leaving Arya able to marry lords not a king. Some sort of GRRM hint, some strange thing for Jon, or Ned just wanting the best for his baby girl and just taking in the possibilities (like Joffrey dying and Tommen inheriting)? IDK, the line never sat exactly right with me- like is there something I should know here?

What is the exchange rate of grotes, pennies, stars, stags, and dragons? How much does each weigh?

Is it like a grote is half a penny, a star is five pennies, a silver stag is 10 stars, and a dragon is 100 stags?

Or does the exchange rate change like how some days gold is up and silver is down and copper is way up?

Back in the day people were hanged in California for suggesting America should go to a bi-metal (silver and gold standard) instead of remaining on the gold standard.

Grumkins and snarks are the terms used by (in general) Southrons who mock the tales of Giants and Direwolves and such like beyond the wall. In my view it could be anything from a mammoth to the Others. Think of it as "thigs that go bump in the night" in RL

I believe there was at least one specific mention of the supposed magical abilities of a grumkin and/or snark. I'm almost positive it was something Kevan Lannister said to Jaime. I'll try to find it.

I believe there was at least one specific mention of the supposed magical abilities of a grumkin and/or snark. I'm almost positive it was something Kevan Lannister said to Jaime. I'll try to find it.

Here's something from AGOT with Jeor Mormont and Jon (after Ned is killed and Robb heads south with the army):

“Your brother is in the field with all the power of the north behind him. Any one of his lords bannermen commands more swords than you’ll find in all the Night’s Watch. Why do you imagine that they need your help? Are you such a mighty warrior, or do you carry a grumkin in your pocket to magic up your sword?” Jon had no answer for him.

-Why did Ned tell Arya that she would marry a King some day? When really her sister supposed to marry the prince, thus leaving Arya able to marry lords not a king. Some sort of GRRM hint, some strange thing for Jon, or Ned just wanting the best for his baby girl and just taking in the possibilities (like Joffrey dying and Tommen inheriting)? IDK, the line never sat exactly right with me- like is there something I should know here?

This

Here's something from AGOT with Jeor Mormont and Jon (after Ned is killed and Robb heads south with the army):

Your brother is in the field with all the power of the north behind him. Any one of his lords bannermen commands more swords than youll find in all the Nights Watch. Why do you imagine that they need your help? Are you such a mighty warrior, or do you carry a grumkin in your pocket to magic up your sword? Jon had no answer for him.

That's it. I was thinking it was a comment made to Jaime after he lost his sword hand for some reason. I was wrong. But thanks for finding that.

Does Mya Stone know who her father is?

I think so. It really wouldn't be hard to figure it out. She even has the last name Stone so she can conclude that her father was a noble. Her mother may be still alive so she could have told her. The nobles who were Ned Stark, Robert Baratheon and Jon Arryn probably more but they were the main ones. She remembers him being a really big man so she could possibly connect that with the Demon of the Trident.

It is also possible someone let it slip and she knows but since he refuses to acknowledge her or be a father, she wants nothing to do with him. Happens with kids IRL all the time.

The world may not yet be ready for it.

-When did Ned Stark's mother die in relation to how old his siblings and him were at the time?

-Who were the Ned generation siblings closest to amongst each other? Like in the Robb generation, Arya and Jon are the closest (even though I am sure Robb would choose Jon as his favorite sibling)?

-How did Tywin propose to Joanna?

-Is Jaime's belief that Catelyn would have preferred to have married him over Ned when Brandon died based on anything other than vanity in regards to his looks?

-Why is Jaime so stuck on Brandon's strangulation? It seems like there were many burnings and horrific events under the Mad King, and yet that seems to be one of the ones that haunts Jaime the most. What was it about Brandon? Or was the event itself something that hit so close home?

I think Jaime has seen a lot of awful things in his life like war (and all its atrocity), but that was in times of war or crisis of sorts so it was not shocking. He has also seen Aerys burn people, I suppose at the start Aerys burned people that were guilty of some crime (maybe it was not worth the burning but a crime nontheless) so that also was not shocking.

However Brandons supplice was IMO one of (if not the ) most cruel and awful things to happen in the books: it is horrible to roast a man in his armor and to make his son strangle himself to death watching that and trying to help. It had to be awfully hard to watch. Besides it was utterly unjustified: Brandon came to KL to claim the release of his sister who disappeared with Rhaegar, he was imprisoned and Rickard was summoned to answer fot his sons "crimes", he demanded a trial by combat (probably not being able to convince Mad Aerys to release his son) , Aerys declared Fire his champion ... It was pure madness, cruelty and horror.

And Jaime could not do a thing about it. I think at that precise moment he began to really see Aerys's madness, it was an important event in the evolution of his personality, before that Jaime was a young man ready to conquer the world with his sword and smile, after that he lost what little innocence was left in him, he definitely became an adult.

Archived