NFL 2013-14 Week 12: Brady-Manning-Pocalypse Now

DanteGabriel

You win DG :fencing:

ETA: I think this is appropriate given the title of the thread.

Regardless of whether Manning breaks the record, he'll still never be able to make this offense as terrifying as the '07 Patriots. This Broncos offense feels like your typical Colts offense just with more athletic receivers. That Patriots offense was a force of nature built to destroy you.

I think, the real difference is the O-Line and the subsequent injury to Manning. The Ryan Clady injury has downgraded this offense to all time great to a great offense. Mind you they can still break 2007 Pat's record of total point scored. Manning still has a decent chance of breaking the passing records.His last 4 games :against Titans and Chargers at Denver and two warm weather games @ Houston and @ Oakland. Eminently doable if he stays healthy and they need those games to secure the number 1 seed.

Eh, maybe my memory is failing me. I remember him being kinda disappointing that first year too. But Google tells me he got two sacks and a forced fumble in the Super Bowl?

Adalius Thomas didn't rack up stats because fro most of the season he was rotating with Junior Seau a Tedy Bruschi at the inside in a vain effort to preserve their decaying bodies (too soon?) His snaps would have likely decayed further from amount of time the Pats were playing nickel or dime. It wasn't until Colvin got injured that he played on the outside regularly.

It wasn't until Colvin got injured that he played on the outside regularly.

And I think that's when the wheels sort of came off.

Belichick has been leary of splashy free agents since Thomas; Thomas was positioned as a versatile guy who could play in a variety of positions and situations. Well, turned out, he was a guy who only wanted to play middle linebacker and got all bitchy when he was moved around. I honestly only ever remember ONE play he was in on- an INT ret for a TD against the Chargers in week 2 and that's was only because I was at the game.

If the Panthers get outplayed by the Dolphins I will be so mad that I post on here with ALL CAPS, that way ppl will know I mean business.

It will be the worst thing since the Patriots got outplayed last night.

I am staring to wonder whether Daario knows anything :laugh:

If the Panthers get outplayed by the Dolphins I will be so mad that I post on here with ALL CAPS, that way ppl will know I mean business.

It will be the worst thing since the Patriots got outplayed last night.

I used to think you were just a semiliterate Pats hater, but now I realize what's going on. I am sorry you mistook my antagonistic posts in the previous thread for flirting. I did not mean to lead you on. The grade school crush dynamic was kinda cute for a couple of pages, but carrying this into a new thread makes me feel a little awkward. Sorry to disappoint you.

I used to think you were just a semiliterate Pats hater, but now I realize what's going on. I am sorry you mistook my antagonistic posts in the previous thread for flirting. I did not mean to lead you on. The grade school crush dynamic was kinda cute for a couple of pages, but carrying this into a new thread makes me feel a little awkward. Sorry to disappoint you.

Huh?

CLEARLY YOU ARE WRONG BUT I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THIS ARGUMENT BRO YOU ARE ALL JUST CROWING

LOUD NOISES!

WITHOUT STIPULATIONS!

LOUDER NOISES!!!

But still, wow. Yeah, that Chip Kelly thing is just a fad, he'll never find success, blah blah. Imagine the Eagles with even a competent defense. Or hell, imagine them with Jeremy Maclin.

I'm not hating on Foles or Kelly (oddly enough, I consider them too insignificant to register on my hate-scale), but Foles has been very Andrew Lucky not to have a number of his TD's get picked off.

I saw a graphic on SNF where it showed Peyton was behind Brady's 2007 pace. I think Brady was at 38 TDs by week 11, where Manning sits at 34. Now, of course Brady ended up throwing 12 TDs in 6 games to close out the year, but that doesn't mean his record is in jeopardy. Cold weather = less production for Manning, so I see him finishing short of Brady's record. Still, 46-47 TDs is nothing to sneeze at. But with Brees closing in fast, Manning's season doesn't look as transcendent as it did initially.

Edit: in fact, take out the first week, and here are the lines you get:

Manning: 70.5%, 3110, 27-6

Brees: 67.6%, 3012, 24-7

Yeah, Manning's been hurt and they're on the #3 center and #3 OT on the line right now.

That's my memory of it too. And yet FO had 'em as the #2 team in rushing DVOA for the season.

I remember that rushing attack being incredibly annoying. It was a byproduct of their passing game.

I used to think you were just a semiliterate Pats hater, but now I realize what's going on. I am sorry you mistook my antagonistic posts in the previous thread for flirting. I did not mean to lead you on.

You... you're breaking up with me? :bawl: :crying: :bawl: :crying:

I remember that rushing attack being incredibly annoying. It was a byproduct of their passing game.

It was easily the most frustrating Fantasy rushing game to own a piece of. OF ALL TIME. WITHOUT STIPULATIONS!

I swear, Brady hawked like 50% of the rushing TDs scored inside the five that year. And he threw a farkton of short yardage TDs as well. Owning Maroney in FF that year was pure torture.

You won't be able to escape the hype. Resistance is futile.

It's one of the few matchups where the hype is earned. These days any Brady vs. Manning game could be the last so gonna make a point to enjoy it. It's a unique thing to get this game almost every year for better than a decade. There's the years each guy got injured, when Peyton was left to whoop up on Matt Cassel and Brady whooped up on Curtis Painter but outside of that it's every year, right? 14 times total. That's pretty awesome. And I've lost count of how many times they've traded places coming into the game with the revolutionary offense du jour. We should thank Tim Tebow for getting this game last year and allowing the rivalry not to miss a beat even as Peyton Manning fucking changes.teams.

I mean how many Brees-Rodgers games have we gotten? Only one I recall. Just being two awesome QBs in the same conference isn't enough - you need the kind of sustained excellence you just don't see in the NFL.

Goddamn I hope Welker is able to play in this one. He's earned that right.

It's one of the few matchups where the hype is earned. These days any Brady vs. Manning game could be the last so gonna make a point to enjoy it. It's a unique thing to get this game almost every year for better than a decade. There's the years each guy got injured, when Peyton was left to whoop up on Matt Cassel and Brady whooped up on Curtis Painter but outside of that it's every year, right? 14 times total.

I mean how many Brees-Rodgers games have we gotten? Only one I recall. Just being two awesome QBs in the same conference isn't enough - you need the kind of sustained excellence you just don't see in the NFL.

Actually, that was Dan Orlovsky (the guy who took a safety running out the back of his own endzone with the 2008 Lions). Everyone forgets him somehow...

You're absolutely right about the sustained excellence. It's downright eerie that even if they don't get favorable playoff seeding for a next-year rematch, they always seem to have that 3-year divisional rotation to get them playing each other.

It's one of the few matchups where the hype is earned. These days any Brady vs. Manning game could be the last so gonna make a point to enjoy it. It's a unique thing to get this game almost every year for better than a decade. There's the years each guy got injured, when Peyton was left to whoop up on Matt Cassel and Brady whooped up on Curtis Painter but outside of that it's every year, right? 14 times total. That's pretty awesome. And I've lost count of how many times they've traded places coming into the game with the revolutionary offense du jour. We should thank Tim Tebow for getting this game last year and allowing the rivalry not to miss a beat even as Peyton Manning fucking changes.teams.

Well I believe the NFL has been scheduling 1 Brady-Peyton matchup per year since 2003 or 2004. Other than those injury seasons, I can't remember the last time there wasn't a Brady-Peyton matchup in a season (might've been 2002).

Brees and Rodgers have met twice, and iirc both were pretty damn good games (both teams had no defenses). Hopefully we'll see more of it, but the Brady-Manning rivalry really cemented itself as an NFL staple because ofa few playoff meetings. I would really like to see a couple Brees-Rodgers playoff meetings. That would give the NFC a legit QB rivalry for once.

Oh yeah, and the referee's name was Clete. Couldn't it at least have been dreamy Ed Hochuli or our old friend Walt Coleman? Cause my team getting boned by a guy named Clete in Carolina makes me hear the music from "Deliverance."

Oh, man, I heart this post.

It is good to remember how lucky we've been to see this rivalry so consistently over the years. Hasn't been anything like it in pro football in my memory. I remember 49ers-Cowboys being pretty titanic in the early 90s, but that was like... three or four years.

Well I believe the NFL has been scheduling 1 Brady-Peyton matchup per year since 2003 or 2004. Other than those injury seasons, I can't remember the last time there wasn't a Brady-Peyton matchup in a season (might've been 2002).

Brees and Rodgers have met twice, and iirc both were pretty damn good games (both teams had no defenses). Hopefully we'll see more of it, but the Brady-Manning rivalry really cemented itself as an NFL staple because ofa few playoff meetings. I would really like to see a couple Brees-Rodgers playoff meetings. That would give the NFC a legit QB rivalry for once.

I think it's more to do with the fact that the Colts (now the Broncos) and the Patriots were/are the dominant forces of their respective divisions year in and year out. The NFC North and South at least has some more balance and unfortunately, we don't get to see the Brees/Rodgers match up unless their divisions are scheduled against each other.

Seems like we have the groundwork for what could be a good threeway rivalry in the NFC East between Manning the Lesser, RGIII and the Romonator. Not anything approaching Fetushead v Ken Doll, but something to look forward to at any rate.

Maybe Breesus and Newton can start working on that as well.

Archived