NFL 2013-14 Week 12: Brady-Manning-Pocalypse Now

DanteGabriel

It gets brought up as the ultimate act of disrespect here in Denver.

Fortunately Tebow forgives.

So, I like the custom title (is it new? I feel like I've seen it before), but... bring back Alexis?

Sports talk radio taht accepts callers is by far the worst entertainment programming available in any medium. Why do I want to listen to losers whose time is of so little value that they can spend it waiting on hold to get the chance to talk to some radio guy who would rather take a screwdriver to the temple than listen to what the caller has to say?

Local sports radio is OK. I hate listening to stuff like ESPN radio and those other nationally broadcast stations.

I have called into local radio and talked with folks. Even won tickets a couple of times because of it. It's sometimes bad, and sometimes pretty decent.

National radio is horrible though. Absolutely atrocious.

So, I like the custom title (is it new? I feel like I've seen it before), but... bring back Alexis?

Wait is Alexis gone? Or is her in a ponytail causing late onset facial blindness?

(I kid but it actually a semi-serious question. When I switched out the avatar, half the time it still showed the old one...or maybe to you none at all?)

I know where that custom title is from, but I'm trying to figure out if there's some double-meaning.

So what do people think of Cam Newton these days? I feel like he's had a bit of a rollercoaster start to his career. Lots of numbers as a rookie. Then what looked like a pretty bad sophomore slump in the first part of last year before coming back a bit later in the year. And now looking pretty nice in S3. And he has really looked good slinging the ball at times. He throws the deep out routes on an absolute rope, and he still rips off mobile plays better than most QB's. His one year at Auburn was unreal, but he did come into the pros with just one year as a D1 starter.

I'd be feeling pretty good if I was a Panthers fan right now.

No double meaning. But that line has been emblazoned in my brain ever since I liked Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah on Pandora and now every third song is some cover of it.

Anyway on Cam, he looks like a force of nature whenever I see him so I'm a believer.Y'ever notice all that talk of fake smiles and work ethic fell off after he had that likable turn in that commercial with that little kid who was gonna take his job? I stand by the notion that the only thing that can stop Cam Newton...is Cam Newton. Well that and a Panthers receiving corps that is Steve Smith and the cast of Good Times. Steve Smith's great but he really shouldn't be your team's best offensive weapon for an entire decade.

BTW how about this recent draft record for Carolina:

2011 - Cam Newton - Offensive Rookie of the Year

2012 - Luke Kuechly - Defensive Rookie of the Year

2013 - Star Lotulelei - Defensive Rookie of the Year (Likely anyway. As far as I can tell it's between him, Sheldon Richardson and Tyrann Mathieu)

Kuechly has graduated to being a legit DPOY candidate this year. And if they ever get Cam a better weapon than a 34 year old 5'9" receiver with a Napoleonic complex he'll likely be in the OPOY/MVP conversation in the coming years.

I have called into local radio and talked with folks. Even won tickets a couple of times because of it. It's sometimes bad, and sometimes pretty decent.

National radio is horrible though. Absolutely atrocious.

I can't stand ESPN radio and their talking heads. I do agree that local stations are entertaining. I don't listen to as much radio as I used to, but I listen to Boomer & Carton every morning on WFAN NY.

Playing defense in this league is becoming a thankless job. You won't see Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, or Andrew Luck ever getting fined for a penalty on the field... but random defender #11 can come in for a play and get fined $16K with nary a thought.

It bothers me that these defensive players get paid (for the most part, relative to offensive players) peanuts and then get punished so heavily for trying to do their job.

Ray Lewis just said that he's going to see Ahmad Brooks and give him a check for half the fine. Good for him.

I saw this, and that's really cool. If I were a coach, I'd do my best to recompense guys who get unjustly fined. I don't know if that would be 'bounty-esque', but I'd do it anyway.

You might argue that it shouldn't be penalised anyway but I think this stuff about Brees' height is overstated. I mean Brooks really can't get his shoulder lower that five and a half feet off the ground to make the tackle? It's not like he doesn't know Brees isn't 6'4".

It looked to me like he made the tackle that high because he was trying to strike for the ball while he made the tackle. You could argue that pass rushers should be allowed to do that but they are going to be having their arms up around the head and neck area of the qb if they do regardless of whether they're 6'0" or 6'4".

The height thing aside, you can see that he initially hits Brees' shoulder. But when Brees (understandably) crumples, the defender rides up and barely touches his neck. It actually wasn't even that hard of a hit!

Sports talk radio taht accepts callers is by far the worst entertainment programming available in any medium. Why do I want to listen to losers whose time is of so little value that they can spend it waiting on hold to get the chance to talk to some radio guy who would rather take a screwdriver to the temple than listen to what the caller has to say?

I remember that in Madden 08 (for the original xbox) they had a 'local' radio show playing in franchise mode when you were tweaking your team. It perfectly captured the idiocy of the callers, and it was one of those small things that make me miss the good old days.

You've obviously never listened to right wing politics radio. It's horrible........

But not as horrible as when the Patriots got outplayed by the Panthers on Monday night Football

Dude, come on... I don't care about who outplayed who on Monday night, so I'm just telling you from an unbiased position. Let it go. I know you have an opinion, and the Patriots fans (and maybe some others, I don't know) passionately disagreed. Just let it go.

Droy is likely locked up for Kiko Alonso. He's been an absolute beast for buffalo.

You're asking the voters to both remember the Bills are still in the league and to believe he's a white guy. Everything about his candidacy is fishy.

Dude, come on... I don't care about who outplayed who on Monday night, so I'm just telling you from an unbiased position. Let it go. I know you have an opinion, and the Patriots fans (and maybe some others, I don't know) passionately disagreed. Just let it go.

Whaaaaa? We're not allowed to show team spirit on here? That was so great when the Panthers outplayed the Patriots on Monday night football!

Biggest win in at least 5 years and I have to let it go in 2 days!?

It might be another 10 years until the cats are this good again.

Go Panthers!

Whaaaaa? We're not allowed to show team spirit on here? That was so great when the Panthers outplayed the Patriots on Monday night football!

Go Panthers!

Are you a panthers supporter for real? You may be the first one we've seen on this board. Welcome!

Also: there are other ways to show team spirit than making an ass of yourself. At least use smileyes/emoticons sometimes if you are kidding. You are bringing back memories of high priest Zadok, who has thankfully been absent for couple of seasons.

Biggest win in at least 5 years and I have to let it go in 2 days!?

Go Panthers!

Dude, I'm not going to tell you what to do or not do, and the awesome thing about this board is how many insightful fans of different teams there are, but we all know what you're doing. It's childish, and you know it. It's easier to just keep stressing it and refuse to give ground, but sometimes you just need to let it go. Like I said above, I don't know if the Cats outplayed the Minutemen, I don't care, but can we just be civil?

Don't be too hard on the kid. His shithole franchise's greatest moment was losing to the Patriots in a Super Bowl. Stands to reason that finally beating them ten years later, in the one year when their team is relevant, will inspire this kind of overboard reaction. Can't tell him to act like he's been there before, because he hasn't, and he's not bright enough to fake it. I kinda feel bad that I insulted his command of English -- clearly the problems are deeper than that.

Plus, I'm afraid to antagonize him. One day I'm ignoring him while he continues his sad half-bright trolling campaign, next day he's boiling my bunny to get my attention.

Dude, I'm not going to tell you what to do or not do, and the awesome thing about this board is how many insightful fans of different teams there are, but we all know what you're doing. It's childish, and you know it. It's easier to just keep stressing it and refuse to give ground, but sometimes you just need to let it go. Like I said above, I don't know if the Cats outplayed the Minutemen, I don't care, but can we just be civil?

Sorrrrryyyyy, i didnt realize I was in the midst of British Royalty.

Kid, I let it go when the new thread started. Tried to ignore you for a little bit. You kept plugging away at it, with every post you made. You've achieved your apparent goal, which was to troll me pathetically enough to get me to pay attention to you.

What is your end-game here? Keep repeating this same stale, sad joke about the argument you lost, for the rest of your time posting on NFL threads? Is there going to be some point where you imagine you've punished me enough by reminding me of one of three losses my team has sustained so far in a year I'd pretty much written off? Have you proved sufficiently yet how little you care about what I think?

I've half a mind to keep acknowledging your sad dumbassery just to see how long you can keep it going. I'm going to guess, being a Panther fan, you do have a pretty high tolerance for sucking shit.

Breesus, you're grown men (I assume), act like it.

Daario, where the fuck do you get off acting like that towards me when I'm being nothing but civil towards you? Your team won, celebrate that. That's cool.

Dante, lay off, man. You are antagonizing him, wouldn't reconciliation be better than this?

ETA: Dante, you kind of have the more reasonable 'highground' here, to be honest.

Kid, I let it go when the new thread started. Tried to ignore you for a little bit. You kept plugging away at it, with every post you made. You've achieved your apparent goal, which was to troll me pathetically enough to get me to pay attention to you.

What is your end-game here? Keep repeating this same stale, sad joke about the argument you lost, for the rest of your time posting on NFL threads? Is there going to be some point where you imagine you've punished me enough by reminding me of one of three losses my team has sustained so far in a year I'd pretty much written off? Have you proved sufficiently yet how little you care about what I think?

I've half a mind to keep acknowledging your sad dumbassery just to see how long you can keep it going. I'm going to guess, being a Panther fan, you do have a pretty high tolerance for sucking shit.

You are being paranoid.

I'll tell you what, if you let it go, from now on nothing I say will be directed toward you or trying to get your attention. If I repeat something about my team 500 times, it still isn't about you.

Sound fair?

I still plan on saying the panthers outplayed the patriots a lot more times, when you see it happen.

Don't think it's about you

More funner news!

Marvin Harrison is eligible for Hall of Fame this year. He's got my non-existent vote!

And the Colts signed some RB named Chris Rainey. God, I hope he can play.... I didn't get a Vick Ballard jersey last year, so I now have no jersey of a Colts RB since Joseph Addai and will soon be compelled to update.

Archived