Snowflakes

Guillotine

During a recent re-read I noticed a thematic use of Snowflakes

Jon, Arya and Sansa all recall Robb, before and after the RW, with snowflakes melting in his hair. They all describe the memory with those exact words,in a very noticeable manner.From this, I theorize that whenever snowflakes are mentioned and certainly when they are melting in someone's hair, then the person whose hair they are melting in will never see the other person again.

The only other example I can recall that I'm positive is true is Sam and Jon. As has been mentioned in several threads, when Sam leaves Castle Black, Jon tells him to "Pull your hood up, there is snowflakes melting in your hair". This is quite early in AFFC and I'm pretty sure its a hint from GRRM that either Sam will stay in Oldtown or that Jon will be dead/gone from Castle Black when he returns (this could play into the theories of Jon warging Ghost or considering himself free from his vows once resurrected or that awesome theory of him leading the Others).

The other example, which I'm a little tenuous about, is Sansa remembering Winterfell. This is the same passage in ASOS where she recalls Robb and the snowflakes, but she is remembering a different time: Jon and Arya recall the day Jon left for the Wall and Arya for King's Landing, while Robb stayed behind to the be the Stark in Winterfell. Sansa remembers a day years past, when all of them were resident at Winterfell.

Not only does she mention Snowflakes in conjunction with Robb, but she remembers "snowflakes swirling all around Winterfell". I believe that, in conjunction with the established snowflake "code", this means she will never see Winterfell again. I know this is, as I have said, a tenuous connection and the snowflakes in that passage could simply refer to Robb but if that were the case, why would GRRM mention the snowflakes as melting in Robb's hair AND swirling all around Winterfell? If he wanted to hide the snowflake motif, he wouldn't have made it so pointed between Sam and Jon in AFFC.

I know there are many theories of Sansa becoming QITN or uniting the Vale, Riverlands and the North or some sort of arrangement, and while I don't hold truck with them, this theory doesn't necessarily go against that, she could rule all three from the Eyrie or Riverrun or Harrenhal. The theory I think it does challenge is Sansa's castle in the snow

Remember, this prophecy refers to Sansa "killing a giant in a castle made of Snow".

One of the main theories for this was Sansa killing Tyrion (the Giant of Lannister) in Winterfell or in the middle of a Northern Winter, possibly to halt his charge leading Daenerys' forces North.

Another was that the giant refers to LF, with his original sigil being the Titan of Braavos.

While the prophecy could still refer to them, the castle made of snow is the tricky part: Winterfell embodies the North as much as Highgarden embodies the Reach, and Snow/Ice is generally shorthand for the North. It snows heavily in the Mountains of the Vale, but Snow/Ice is not the symbol of the Vale, Stone is.

Therefore, my interpretation of that theory is Sansa ripping apart SR's doll in the castle she made of snow. Much has been made of that passage, with some feel it foreshadows Sansa and LF, who helps her construct the castle, establishing Sansa as QITN (the GNC, Rickon and Jon Stark theories notwithstanding) before Sansa poisons LF, which would be sweet.

But if my snowflakes code is correct, then Sansa will never see Winterfell again and thus the prophecy probably only referred to her ripping apart that doll: is this a hint from GRRM that not all prophecies will come to pass as we expect them to? or that some prophecies are untrue? or that all prophecies are vague and any meaning can be assigned to them?

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. To bring it back to the snowflakes, I realize only Sam and Jon seems to fit into the theory perfectly but I had a rush of realization regarding Sansa and Winterfell, so apologies.

Thoughts? Any other examples of snowflakes I missed?

Archived